Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 12,338 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I've lived in warm climates all my life, Miami, Caribbean, Spain for a while. I hardly own any coats or closed toe shoes and "layering" is a foreign concept to me.
With that being said, Im living here in Miami, and hate it. The people are disgusting and rude and lack social grace. My last visit to Denver was in July, it was such an amazing experience, people were so friendly and welcoming. From the first day I was there walking around down town, I felt like I could really fit in......except for one thing. The weather.
Ive never lived in snow before.

-Does it make life difficult/hard to deal with?
-Since Denver is such an active/fit city, what do athletes and those who
exercise do when its snowing?
-Has anyone moved there from warm climates and felt like they made a mistake because their freezing their butts off?
-How many of you want to move to escape the snow/cold?
-Are bars and restaurants still poppin' when its snowing/slush/freezing?

Now on the bright side I love being active and hiking. Never been skiing before but Im fit and a fast learner....should I take the plunge and move, or will I regret it after the first snow storm..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 01:56 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Millions live here, no problems adapting. Low humidity, few bugs. Nice.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:03 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water*Flower View Post
Hello all,

I've lived in warm climates all my life, Miami, Caribbean, Spain for a while. I hardly own any coats or closed toe shoes and "layering" is a foreign concept to me.
With that being said, Im living here in Miami, and hate it. The people are disgusting and rude and lack social grace. My last visit to Denver was in July, it was such an amazing experience, people were so friendly and welcoming. From the first day I was there walking around down town, I felt like I could really fit in......except for one thing. The weather.
Ive never lived in snow before.

-Has anyone moved there from warm climates and felt like they made a mistake because their freezing their butts off?
-How many of you want to move to escape the snow/cold?

Now on the bright side I love being active and hiking. Never been skiing before but Im fit and a fast learner....should I take the plunge and move, or will I regret it after the first snow storm..?
You will never adapt. It is terrible here. Don't do it. Watch out for the blue horse.

All kidding aside. I grew up in perfect 70 degree San Diego. It took me no time to adapt to the weather out here. I fell for it hard. I will probably never leave. I love snow days like today.

Sports bars are always popping here. Snow doesn't push people inside. It tends to get people out of the house. Barring a blizzard no amount of snow is going to stop residents from doing their activities.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:20 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Quote:
I hardly own any coats or closed toe shoes and "layering" is a foreign concept to me.
I have lived here 30+ years and do not own a coat. Coats are against the law in greater Denver. However, you are required to own a North Face jacket.
I wear Crocs 350+ days a year. No socks. As Crocs is a local company, you are required to own at least one pair. But, they are cheap.

It is snowing outside today with 8+ inches in my back yard. I am wearing shorts and a golf shirt.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:44 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I have lived here 30+ years and do not own a coat. Coats are against the law in greater Denver. However, you are required to own a North Face jacket.
I wear Crocs 350+ days a year. No socks. As Crocs is a local company, you are required to own at least one pair. But, they are cheap.

It is snowing outside today with 8+ inches in my back yard. I am wearing shorts and a golf shirt.
LOL at North Face and Crocs. I do have North Face but I refuse to wear Crocs.

I saw two boys riding their bikes to school on my way into work this morning. Both of them were wearing shorts. It was dumping snow at the time.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:58 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
I moved here from VA this past January. I HATE snow and I don't like cold weather, but Denver is such a great city I think it's worth it. No one really bats an eye here when it snows unless it's 3 feet! Everyone goes about their normal activities, maybe even more so. I haven't found Denver to be nearly as cold as everyone thinks it is. And even though it's cold it's almost always bright and sunny which makes it easier to deal with, for me anyway.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:44 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
Quote:
I've lived in warm climates all my life, Miami, Caribbean, Spain for a while.
<snip>
My last visit to Denver was in July
Well ... July .... quite possibly the most spectacular weather in Colorado occurs in June/July. Have you ever spent a few days there in the winter? If not, probably something you need to do.

Quote:
Seldom. Once in a while you might have to shovel out your driveway, or you might get stuck somewhere in the snow.

The real issue is that you become limited to indoor activites. If you're an active person this can become annoying. When we lived in Colorado, I couldn't go fishing during the winter (except ice fishing which is uncomfortable). I couldn't do outdoor sports, except skiing. Even going out to eat or something can be annoying during a real cold spell.

Quote:
Either skiing or the gym.

Quote:
We made the reverse move last year, from Colorado to the California coast and I can tell you I don't miss the cold winters or the crazy Spring weather of Grand Junction.

Quote:
Probably more so. But, like I said, it's annoying to have to walk from your car down the street to the restaurant if it's 10 degrees outside.

Quote:
You should fly to Denver in the winter (February, the coldest month), spend two or three days, and see if you think you could tolerate four months of that.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:28 PM

556 posts, read 1,200,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Either skiing or the gym.
alpine skiing, cross country, snow shoeing, snowmobiling, ice climbing and for most of the winter you can still run and bike. if you are not interested in a single one of these activities you should probably move to texas.

nighttime during the winter can get pretty frigid and keep you inside, but days are often brilliant.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:39 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
I grew up in Southern CA, and saw it snow a whole two times in my life before I moved here.

-Snow lowers my blood pressure, but driving in it can suck sometimes.
-24 hr fitness, indoors working out, etc.
-No, I'd happily freeze my butt off over dealing with 9 months of 70+ temps ever again.
-I only want to move from Denver (eventually) because there are some social/cultural things I don't like about here (but it could very well be me), but other than that, when/if I ever move, it will also be to a cold/snowy place.
-Bars and restaurants are a great place to be when it's snowing

Snow/cold doesn't end "life" around here. It goes on. It's very beautiful here when it snows, I hate that it melts so fast though!

BTW, it's 22F and about 5-6 inches of snow are on the ground right now. I'm wearing my regular outfit/ensemble of a short sleeve button down shirt over an A-shirt, jeans, socks, shoes, and a hoodie. I could wear gloves and a beanie, but they are not that necessary at the moment. The longjohns and thermals will stay in the closet until it gets below zero, but yeah basically it's not that hard of an adjustment.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:20 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,299,085 times
Easier to adapt to cold than heat. There's only so much clothes you can take off if you're hot. If you're cold, wear a coat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver