U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 04:29 PM

8 posts, read 9,767 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone here has experience with this.

On November 9 I'm leaving Tacoma (just south of Seattle) and heading to Lone Tree in a 16ft Penske, towing my car on a dolley. Both Google Maps and Mapquest show around 20 hours for the trip, but presumably that's for a car that can get over 65mph on most roads. Has anyone here done the drive in a truck? I'm trying to estimate if we can do it in close to the 20 hour mark and still arrive by 5pm on the second day, which is necessary both so I can have movers there to meet us, and so we can get the apartment key. Let's assume the weather is great and roads are open.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 05:08 PM

3,181 posts, read 7,023,768 times
I agree that you're probably going to hit weather, it's a crap shoot at this time of the year, but it has been a harsh fall so far. The I-80 route may have less of a chance, but it's notorious for very high wind going through Wyoming. At the speed you'll be stuck traveling at I would plan on more like 25 hours, push it as far as possible the first day to try to beat the Denver traffic and meet you deadline the second day.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:16 PM

40 posts, read 76,675 times
I'm moving from Seattle next week too. Just driving my car though, but I plan to go I 90 to I 25...

Old 10-29-2011, 06:17 PM

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll hope for good weather and plan for 25 hours...

MtnWanderer - what caused you to choose the I-90 route? I'm still debating which to take.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:46 PM

40 posts, read 76,675 times
I primarily chose the I-90 route because that is what google recommended. I took I-80 when I moved to Seattle from Maryland in 11/09 and it was a pretty smooth trip. Depending on the weather, I will decide between the 2 of them. I don't have other variables like movers to consider though.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:19 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,842,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchs View Post
Hi all,

On November 9 I'm leaving Tacoma (just south of Seattle) and heading to Lone Tree in a 16ft Penske, towing my car on a dolley. Both Google Maps and Mapquest show around 20 hours for the trip, but presumably that's for a car that can get over 65mph on most roads. Has anyone here done the drive in a truck? I'm trying to estimate if we can do it in close to the 20 hour mark and still arrive by 5pm on the second day, which is necessary both so I can have movers there to meet us, and so we can get the apartment key. Let's assume the weather is great and roads are open.

Thanks in advance.
Google Maps times are based on traveling at the posted speed limit, with no stops or delays. The recommended speed limit for towing a car trailer like that is generally 55 MPH. So you should be traveling under the posted speed limit most of the time, and should expect some weather or traffic delays along the way. I'd double the Google estimate, just to be safe. That should give a pretty good chance of arriving on time.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:46 PM

226 posts, read 667,813 times
What a coincidence. I'm moving from eastern Washington to Denver, leaving on Nov 7th. I'm curious what your moving cost will be. I am using Upack to drive my stuff down for me, and it turned out cheaper than driving a Uhaul myself when you take into account gas. My plan is to layover in Salt Lake City the first night, then get to Denver via Cheyenne the following day. I hear Lone Tree is nice... good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchs View Post
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:08 PM

778 posts, read 2,244,831 times
For the folks without a moving truck and with an extra day... If you like deserts, you should consider taking the route I took from from Portland to New Mexico a few years ago. Drove I-84 through OR and ID, then south on 93 to Ely, Nevada, 6/50 through the Great Basin, then on to Zion NP. Great scenery and fast two-lane roads with no traffic. Driving on interstates seems like such a waste.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:42 AM

Hey Odie,

I'm estimating $1600 for truck and fuel at the minimum 6mpg, which I hope is conservative (the truck/dolley will be $781 from Penske). Since my car is an old beater, we're towing it behind the truck and I'm not sure if I'll get more than 6mpg, though I certainly hope so. It turned out less expensive since I wouldn't risk driving the car that far and had to tow it anyway. I think U-Pack (and others) quoted me around $1150...

Are you driving your own car, then? The Salt Lake stop is my goal, too, but I won't know how fast I can go until we hit the road.

Good luck yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odie91 View Post
What a coincidence. I'm moving from eastern Washington to Denver, leaving on Nov 7th. I'm curious what your moving cost will be. I am using Upack to drive my stuff down for me, and it turned out cheaper than driving a Uhaul myself when you take into account gas. My plan is to layover in Salt Lake City the first night, then get to Denver via Cheyenne the following day. I hear Lone Tree is nice... good luck!

Old 10-31-2011, 12:47 PM

171 posts, read 483,589 times
Just looking at Google Maps and my knowledge of the area, I'd take I84 to I80 to I25. I-25 through Wyoming is possibly the most boring road in America and I'd do just about anything to avoid it.

Whatever you do, do not take I70 (I doubt you'd do that, but just wanted to make sure) with the weather this time of year and the fact youre towing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or