Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 03:25 PM

18 posts, read 40,199 times

Advertisements

Life in Boulder is different that any environment you will get in Colorado in my opinion, so to everyone that lives there the "higher cost" is worth it. I would say location to bread winner's employer is key. There are lot's of different neighborhoods within each suberb of Denver. There are different looks and feels to each neighborhood. You will probably have to narrow location down and then get neighborhood specific from there....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 06:32 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,135,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorEngland View Post
Life in Boulder is different that any environment you will get in Colorado in my opinion, . . .
As far as I know, Boulder is in Colorado, so not "different than any environment you will get in Colorado."

Old 11-08-2011, 07:01 PM

18 posts, read 40,199 times
Default Unique

Meaning.....that Boulder is different and unique compared to any other part of the Denver Metro area and CO......

Old 07-13-2012, 02:51 PM

47 posts, read 119,611 times
Update: We ended up in far north Broomfield in a suburban preplanned neighborhood. We have been here for almost 9 months. Reading my own posts on here from when we originally moved here have been enlightening. I am writing an update for anyone else who might learn from my experiences.

I hate all of the things about the suburban neighborhood that I thought I would. But, I thought we would be doing "backyard bbqs and neighborhood functions". I have not made one friend in this subdivision and I am really friendly. People hole up in their houses because they are exhausted after their workweek/day in faraway Denver and they both work because these homes are outrageously priced. What a crazy life.

Neighborhing Lafayette is promising and I really like it, but my poor husband! This commute is completely ridiculous and it is taking a toll on our whole family. He spends an extra two hours or so per day driving-or at least sitting- in traffic.

I love being relatively close to Boulder. As I suspected, it is perfect for living. But, we still can't afford it and my husband still works in Denver. Soooo....

I am seriously thinking about selling my car (SUV) and downsizing into a tiny place in Bonnie Brae or Cory Merril or Highlands or somewhere and riding the bus with my two kids (3 & 1). Everyone I have talked to thinks I am completely insane. Am I? I could save about $1,000/mo. without a car (insurance, gas, maintenance, payment).

The kids and I were in Cherry Creek today (Whole Foods) and I wondered if we would be lonely. We didn't see any kids at all. I am convinced that theoretically this green, urban lifestyle would be ok with kids but if we are the only ones who think so I am either a)wrong or b) right and lonely.

Any input would be appreciated.

Also, I am tired of moving my kids around so good schools are going to be increasingly a factor. Hopefully we can settle into a community and stay there.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:15 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
Default What I would do

With a husband who works downtown you should look along the light rail lines, go down to one car and keep the car at home. Established neighborhoods where people can afford their homes tend to have more relaxed friendly residents than ones where people are working frantically to keep up with the Jones. I used to live in a 1970s neighborhood and loved it! Pick an area that is easily affordable to reduce the stress on your own family and to be in an area where others are also less stressed. Try taking some classes at your local rec center to meet other moms with kids. $.02

Old 07-13-2012, 03:28 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
First things first; where exactly does your husband work? I used to work downtown (Uptown to boot, 18th and Downing) and lived in northern Broomfield and it never took me an hour to get to work, rarely 35 minutes... of course this is depending on exactly what time your husband is leaving.

Then I see earlier in the thread you mention he may be working near DU. That's a lot farther than downtown.

Separately, I just gotta say it, WF Cherry Creek mid day on a Friday is nothing but people on the their lunch break. I know because I've been there so many times, both on my lunch break or for a meeting, AND with my kiddos when not working -- don't let visting on a work day scare you off.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:49 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Unfortunately, most of the neighborhoods with young families with little kids are located in the outer suburbs. And I don't think the Cherry Creek area is what you're looking for-- we're talking very high property values & rents that most young families can't afford, and in a sub-par school district (DPS).

The one-car, live near a light rail lifestyle might be a good idea, if you can find a way to make it work. At this point though, I'd forget about Boulder and the whole hippie organic thing and trying to find a cheaper Boulder alternative-- I'd just focus on what's practical.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Try taking some classes at your local rec center to meet other moms with kids. $.02
Maybe I should clarify. We have actually met a lot of people in Broomfield (not necessarily in our subdivision, but Broomfield in general). Establishing longer relationships have been more challenging. It seems that people really like to stick local (ie. their particular subdivision).

Old 07-13-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
At this point though, I'd forget about Boulder and the whole hippie organic thing and trying to find a cheaper Boulder alternative-- I'd just focus on what's practical.
I am at peace with the fact that we won't be living in Boulder, as I agree-it's not practical.

Farmer's markets, organic food, and nature are who we are. Sorry-that is not going away.

To that point-we need more trees. I am dying without having parks nearby with big trees, shade, or other natural points of interest.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
First things first; where exactly does your husband work? I used to work downtown (Uptown to boot, 18th and Downing) and lived in northern Broomfield and it never took me an hour to get to work, rarely 35 minutes... of course this is depending on exactly what time your husband is leaving.

Then I see earlier in the thread you mention he may be working near DU. That's a lot farther than downtown.

Separately, I just gotta say it, WF Cherry Creek mid day on a Friday is nothing but people on the their lunch break. I know because I've been there so many times, both on my lunch break or for a meeting, AND with my kiddos when not working -- don't let visting on a work day scare you off.
Santa Fe exit is hubby's work. His hours are not flexible so he is driving in the thick of it every day.

I was HOPING that might be true about Whole Foods today. It crossed my mind too. They did provide a racecar shopping cart that looked very well used...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver