U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2011, 09:51 PM

152 posts, read 275,600 times

Advertisements

We will be moving come December, possibly to a place we've never been. Since we have 2 kids in grade school, I need to get a jump on researching.

Denver is the most likely place we will move to. Weather will not be a problem since we live on the Utah/Idaho border.

The thing I am most concern about is where to live. Hubby will be working downtown, but he wants to go to uc boulder in the fall. I don't want to move twice in one year so I need some perspective. Would we want to live in between or closer to either Denver or boulder. I understand boulder is more expensive, I would say our budget for rent is 2000 for 3 bedrooms.

My ideal place would be affordable with a great school system. My son has asperger so he will need lots of help.

I don't know much about the Denver area so any advice would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 08:02 AM

13,941 posts, read 20,179,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca-ut-?? View Post
Hubby will be working downtown, but he wants to go to uc boulder in the fall.... budget for rent is 2000 for 3 bedrooms.
Arvada.
Read all of LiveContent's words about Arvada.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:55 PM

4,873 posts, read 9,612,498 times
Arvada is still a haul from Boulder. I suggest you look at Superior or Lafayette. There's a good mix of housing, and they are both really accessible to either Denver or Boulder. I don't know anything about their school system, but you could look up the Boulder Valley RE2 District for more information.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:19 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,507,650 times
Yes, I like Arvada and it can be close if you live in West Arvada and if you go to Boulder from that side of town up 93 or Indiana but that way can be bad in winter. You could go up Wadsworth to Broomfield and go along 36 but that is a distance--why do that when you could just live in Broomfield which is the best place between Boulder and Denver

Broomfield is really a nice community with a good variety of homes. good recreational facilities, parks and extensive shopping with a big mall, Flatirons. Also, you can easily catch the fast and frequent regional bus to Denver or Boulder at the Park-n-Ride. The bus goes right to downtown Denver and has stops in front of the campus in Boulder. Broomfield is also a City/County so services are all combined in one location. Denver is the only other city/county in Colorado http://www.ci.broomfield.co.us/index.asp?menu=services

I like also Superior which has a Park-n-Ride and good housing, shopping with parts of Louisville nearby. However, that is not equal distance to Denver and Boulder and I think offers less than Broomfield which is more established.

Livecontent

Old 11-06-2011, 08:53 PM

thanks for the suggestions, we just need a starting point. Things could move fast once they get going and I want to have at least an idea.

Are there neighborhoods in Denver you would suggest or are the suburbs better/more affordable for family?

Old 11-08-2011, 11:21 AM

5,090 posts, read 13,507,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca-ut-?? View Post
thanks for the suggestions, we just need a starting point. Things could move fast once they get going and I want to have at least an idea.

Are there neighborhoods in Denver you would suggest or are the suburbs better/more affordable for family?
There are some neighborhoods in Denver that are more affordable and better than some neighborhoods than the suburbs, which have deteriorated. And as such, some of these city neighborhoods are much safer than some neighborhoods in the suburbs. Of course some areas of the suburbs are better than some areas in Denver. Denver is a thriving city that is attracting new people and it always had a variety of neighborhoods that are more dense city and some that are less so and mimic a suburbs.

It all depends on your needs. You have expressed that you husband has will attend the University in Boulder and will be working downtown Denver. Yes, some people live in Denver and commute to Boulder. You could live closer to Downtown Denver, near the job and nearer to a excellent public transit route to Boulder but the quality neighborhoods are expensive and there are cheaper but not for your needs with children.

For other areas of Denver, they can be less expensive than some in Broomfield but are not necessarily better for your needs of a good commute and raising children. If you want quality neighborhood, you will have to pay a higher cost in Denver.

I would stick with Broomfield or I would consider Westminster which can offer you a good commute on 36 by public transit, both ways, and a good variety of homes with good schools. If you think that you will never take public transit to Boulder, well, give it a try with a car and you will be glad that you have that option, because driving to Boulder or Boulder to Denver on 36 can be brutal at times.

Livecontent

Old 11-08-2011, 03:20 PM

we will be hearing something in 2 weeks! i hope it's good news.

thanks for the perspective, livecontent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or