U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 05:48 PM

195 posts, read 744,333 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever ridden the ski train and did you enjoy the experience? Did you ride coach or club?

It seems to be a nice alternative to driving and dealing with parking hassle. The only downside I see is that you will miss out on some nightlife having to come back to Denver at 4PM
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 06:53 PM

89,907 posts, read 107,943,898 times
Yes, I've ridden it, coach, I guess. It was fun. However, you are on the train's schedule, then you have to drive home from the train station so it can make for a long day relative to the amt. of skiing you do.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:01 PM

291 posts, read 1,958,882 times
Every time I took the Ski Train, I later found there was ann accident or other tie-up on I-70. While I always have a coach seat, that doesn't keep me out of the club car. The trip is always awesome, through some of the most beautiful terrain in the state.

Yes, if you don't live near downtown, there is some driving, but it's never through bumper to bumper I-70 ski traffic. And with a few friends, it just adds a lot more fun to a fun day. It is highly recommended and worth every penny, and most of the time, the 'night life' is ON the train!

Old 08-27-2007, 02:35 PM

355 posts, read 1,313,419 times
how much does it cost?

Old 12-26-2008, 09:42 AM

22,480 posts, read 41,381,785 times
Good info on ski trains in CO and other states: Riding the rails to the slopes - The Denver Post

The scenery on the Ski Train can't be beat. On it's way to Winter Park it goes places that are not accessible by car.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:26 AM

17 posts, read 78,761 times
Default No more ski train

Looks like after 69 years, the ski train is going on to other missions. Colorado's Ski Train to Winter Park ends after 69 years - Denver Business Journal:

I was sad about this at first, and then remembered: I've only used it twice.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:51 PM

719 posts, read 2,419,062 times
Very sad. We rode it at least once every season with friends. This is also testimony of our country's obsession with the automobile. With CO being so dependant on the ski industry for revenue, one would think we would have installed passenger train service along the resort corridors by now.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:31 PM

447 posts, read 1,465,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
Very sad. We rode it at least once every season with friends. This is also testimony of our country's obsession with the automobile. With CO being so dependant on the ski industry for revenue, one would think we would have installed passenger train service along the resort corridors by now.
and this has been a HOT topic for a while, but it too isn't without its restraints.......there are a couple of spots on I-70 that are issues....not to mention financing in a crumbling economy.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:52 PM

5,610 posts, read 21,365,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
Or maybe it's testament to the current economy. It's a lot cheaper for a group of people to drive up in one car than pay $$$ for train tickets.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:14 PM

8,317 posts, read 26,825,428 times
Another step in the wrong direction for Colorado. The discontinuance of the Ski Train is no surprise, though. You can thank Colorado's transportation morons for this one, too. First, the Ski Train was purely a private operation--trying to compete with a massively government-subsidized highway system. Unlike highway competition, the Ski Train had to make its income on money from ticket sales and didn't enjoy the huge advantage of having its right-of-way maintained at taxpayer expense. Second, the planning idiots in Denver permitted double-ended rail access to Union Station to be cut down to single-ended. That makes getting trains in and out of Union Station cumbersome, and subject to frequent delays for trains traversing the yard tracks to get to Union Station. The Ski Train would be frequently delayed--often substantially--only a few blocks from Union Station. Hardly something that encourages patronage.

Of course, the Ski Train ran on single-track trackage with limited long sidings on a line running at near capacity with long, slow coal trains. Again, frequent delays. Then there is the matter of the passenger cars themselves. Nice as they are, they are still 1950's-era equipment--expensive to maintain, and, on the Ski Train schedule, only running a few days per week.

So, it's no surprise that the Ski Train is going bye-bye, but it's a great loss for Colorado. And just that much more of rail passenger service that will have to be resurrected at some not-that-long into the future date, when our clueless taxpayers finally crumple under the tax burden of subsidizing our disintegrating highway network.

PS--Vegaspilgrim, as one who is studying accounting, you should know that "It's a lot cheaper for a group of people to drive up in one car than pay $$$ for train tickets" if you ignore the "off-budget" costs that those people are paying in taxes to subsidize the road they're driving on. If those costs were included, the real cost of driving would look way butt-ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or