U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 03:45 PM

4,506 posts, read 5,474,721 times

Advertisements

See, it's all about preferences.... I prefer 2wd full sized 3/4 or one ton P/U's
with a full size bed...I cannot imagine a truck that I couldn't lay full sheets of plywood/drywall flat in the bed...or a whole pallet of them.

Now, just because that's what fits MY needs doesn't mean that a truck that falls short of MY requirements doesn't mean it's STUPID.

Denver has so few heavy snows that REALLY affect driving that it really doesn't matter.... So we had a big one in '03...even with 4x4 no one could drive...the authorities closed the roads and everything shut down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 01:36 AM

5,752 posts, read 9,435,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MossyOak515 View Post
Hello!

I am considering moving to Colorado. I'd like to live outside of Denver, I like living more in the country. I currently have a 4cyl SUV that I will be selling to get something more suited. I'd like to get a Tacoma, but am debating about whether 4WD is necessary or if a set of good tires would be enough?

Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks!
Not necessary but can make life a lot easier. I can't tell you how many times I've been on back roads where 4wd has gotten me out of stuff that I wouldn't have otherwise been able to.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:46 AM

16,721 posts, read 40,883,703 times
Quote:
Hello!

I am considering moving to Colorado. I'd like to live outside of Denver, I like living more in the country. I currently have a 4cyl SUV that I will be selling to get something more suited. I'd like to get a Tacoma, but am debating about whether 4WD is necessary or if a set of good tires would be enough?

Thanks!
If you have a front wheel drive SUV you should keep it and see how it does. Odds are it will be all you need most of the time, they handle snow and ice quite well. You can always by a 4wd after you move to Colorado if you find that you really need it.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:53 PM

160 posts, read 256,800 times
Exactly. Buying a 2WD or 4WD is about preference. 4WD also requires more maintenance and gets worse gas mileage, not to mention the turning radius is worse (not that it's much better than my long bed 2WD F-250). But I do a lot of towing and a 2WD is a much softer ride making long hauls more comfortable.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:13 PM

28 posts, read 67,536 times
I live in the snow bound upper midwest for 27 years.

The best vehicle in the snow and ice is a Subaru Outback wagon AWD.

It's always on AWD, has a lower center of gravity and a slightly higher clearance than a car.

The only time you will need a 4WD truck is if you live in the country where the roads have high snow drifts and there is not enough clearance to go thru.

Some of the trucks with part time 4WD is actually very dangerous on the HW, since when you hit ice, it may be too late to shift to 4WD!

If your SUV is AWD, you'll be fine. For extra safety, buy "blizzak" snow tires for the winter.

The main key is drive slow.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:05 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,782,434 times
That is rediculous. No one needs a 4x4 vehicle in the Denver metro area assuming they drive on city maintained paved roads. (which 95% of the population does) A front wheel drive sedan will suffice in all but the worst snowstorms. However, a 4x4 vehicle would be more helpful if you lived out in the country, or up in the mountains where more snow falls, and the road plows are less frequent

Back in my Colorado Springs days I would always be amazed that nearly EVERY vehicle ending up in a ditch would be an SUV or 4x4 of some kind. I RARELY saw cars in the ditch!

Quote:
Hello!

Thanks!

Old 11-16-2011, 02:07 PM

4,506 posts, read 5,474,721 times
Default best car in snow

My experience with the best car in the snow was my '93 Eagle Vision...similar to an Intrepid...and yes, I had an AWD Subaru and a 4x4 truck also here.

It was FWD very low and wide. I could take off from a light on ice faster than any of the others. Icy roads are more common in town than snow...even then, in that '03 snowstorm, that car got me around just fine.
Granted in the deep stuff the 4x4 truck was the best. General driving around town in all weather the Vision killed it...plenty of room, power, and comfortable...the Subaru...no power and too tiny. IMHO

Old 11-16-2011, 03:37 PM

Best snow vehicle I ever had was a 1988 F-150 4x4 regular cab with the 302. Something about the relative light weight of that truck and the spacing of the tires made it absolutely fantastic. Photo attached. I've driven 4x4 trucks before and since that weren't nearly as good.
Attached Thumbnails
4x4 necessary??-grandmesa-026.jpg  

Old 11-17-2011, 01:14 PM

437 posts, read 699,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
That is rediculous. No one needs a 4x4 vehicle in the Denver metro area assuming they drive on city maintained paved roads. (which 95% of the population does) A front wheel drive sedan will suffice in all but the worst snowstorms. However, a 4x4 vehicle would be more helpful if you lived out in the country, or up in the mountains where more snow falls, and the road plows are less frequent

Back in my Colorado Springs days I would always be amazed that nearly EVERY vehicle ending up in a ditch would be an SUV or 4x4 of some kind. I RARELY saw cars in the ditch!
Well, if it's a big storm, I'm guessing that most of the 2WD cars' drivers had the good sense to stay home, so of course you don't see them in the ditch.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
That says something about the drivers, not the cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver