Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 12:01 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,527,286 times

Advertisements

Do you think this may be true? I haven't heard of that many stories of racial conflict at all coming out of there and every time I've been there, I've been treated very nicely. Hopefully, the answers will focus more on Denver vs. other cities.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:09 PM

208 posts, read 419,180 times
In my 3 months living here, I have noticed an abundance of international restaurants and shops for a city that is mostly white. I think Denverites have a strong "openness to experience" personality. Not just through nature, but through a desire to experience other cultures and the value they bring.

Some of the terrain here does resemble terrain found in the Far East.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:57 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
I think Denver has come a long way from the bitter, ugly white flight I witnessed during middle and high school. Keyes vs School District No. 1
I saw some shocking behavior up close and personal during the desegregation years of ill-fated forced busing. But that was long ago, and this is now, and while there are still some inequalities and friction, I do believe the atmosphere in the educational institutions is much improved, and also that Denver is much more progressive, and welcoming of diversity.

The thing is, bigotry is often more subtle, covert and can consist of behavior that Joe WASP might not even recognize. Anyone who was condescended to by a teacher, pulled over for Driving While Black or faced with anti-semitic graffiti on their place of worship might not consider everything in Denver to be rosy, but that can happen just about anywhere in the USA.

Alameda High School Rises Above Racial Taunting

Last edited by BlueWillowPlate; 03-08-2012 at 06:05 AM..

Old 03-09-2012, 07:41 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,109,569 times
Denver is by far the least racially diverse place I've ever lived. With that said, being a black dude, I haven't experienced any racism or anything like that. None.

And we live in Parker, where the population is 1% black. We are literally the only black people in our entire neighborhood LOL. No dirty looks, everybody speaks to us, we are frequently invited over for dinner by neighbors, etc.

Last edited by skins_fan82; 03-09-2012 at 07:50 AM..

Old 03-09-2012, 09:37 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default And, the only

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
...We are literally the only black people in our entire neighborhood LOL..
And, the only Redskins Fan. LOL.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:10 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,123,489 times
Most racism in Denver is directed towards Hispanics/Latinos.

It can get pretty ugly if you are Hispanic/Latino. I have experienced this throughout my life both overtly and subtly. The big problem lately is that the native born Hispanics are lumped in with recent immigrants - both legal and illegal, and suffer as a result.

Don't believe me? Read the comments to this article about a King Soopers in West Denver or the comments to this article about Cinco de Mayo.

No one posts racist comments when an article about St. Patrick's Day or Oktoberfest is printed.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:44 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post

No one posts racist comments when an article about St. Patrick's Day or Oktoberfest is printed.
Cinco de Mayo has become very "in your face" lately. Here in CA students get suspended from school for wearing American flag T-shirts on that day. Students have also rallied and raised the Mexican flag in place of the American flag. To many this is offensive. I think it's fair to compare it to going down to Mexico on the 4th of July waving Old Glory and expecting Mexican school districts to suspend students for wearing Mexican flags on their shirts. (Of course, they probably are not in school at that time of year, but you see my point.) Perhaps the negative comments toward the day are a backlash? After all, St. Patrick's day and Oktoberfest are just excuses to drink and party for most people. Cinco de Mayo used to be, but it has expanded into a politically charged mine field.

Regarding the OP, I think it is possible to find racism everywhere you go. It's a sad reality of the human condition. It exists in Denver, it exists everywhere. I think that the efforts to be more politically correct have furthered racism more than curbed it. For example, why do we have to say "African Americans?" Why can we not just say "Americans?" Perhaps my question may make me sound a bit naive, but I can assure you I am not. I just fail to see why we focus so much on our differences when we should be focussing on what we have in common. We all bleed red, after all.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:51 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,527,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Cinco de Mayo has become very "in your face" lately. Here in CA students get suspended from school for wearing American flag T-shirts on that day. Students have also rallied and raised the Mexican flag in place of the American flag. To many this is offensive. I think it's fair to compare it to going down to Mexico on the 4th of July waving Old Glory and expecting Mexican school districts to suspend students for wearing Mexican flags on their shirts. (Of course, they probably are not in school at that time of year, but you see my point.) Perhaps the negative comments toward the day are a backlash? After all, St. Patrick's day and Oktoberfest are just excuses to drink and party for most people. Cinco de Mayo used to be, but it has expanded into a politically charged mine field.

Regarding the OP, I think it is possible to find racism everywhere you go. It's a sad reality of the human condition. It exists in Denver, it exists everywhere. I think that the efforts to be more politically correct have furthered racism more than curbed it. For example, why do we have to say "African Americans?" Why can we not just say "Americans?" Perhaps my question may make me sound a bit naive, but I can assure you I am not. I just fail to see why we focus so much on our differences when we should be focussing on what we have in common. We all bleed red, after all.
Least racist doesn't = no racism at all.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:56 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Least racist doesn't = no racism at all.
I know.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:19 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,123,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post

All people have a right to be proud of their heritage - Hispanics included. While St. Patrick's day may be an excuse to get drunk, it is still a celebration of Irish culture. Oktoberfest is a celebration of German heritage. People will wave German flags, eat German food, speak German, dance to German music and no one will have an issue with it. Wear a German flag T-shirt to school? No problem. The same applies to celebrations for Chinese New Year, or Columbus Day, or Mardi Gras, or even the Persian New Year (not widely celebrated here).

Hispanics are not afforded the same opportunity to express pride in their heritage without the public railing on them for being illegal aliens (most Hispanics are not) or traitors to the country they live in. Hispanics ARE proud of the country they live. They also deserve to be proud of the countries they came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver