U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 11:05 PM

33 posts, read 109,625 times

Advertisements

I inherited a 2005 GMC Sierra crew-cab pickup truck with rear-wheel drive. I don't know if it has traction control, but I assume it doesn't. Is this vehicle going to be dangerous to drive in the snow in Denver? I will mostly just do city driving, a little highway driving (no mountain driving) in this vehicle in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 01:08 AM

160 posts, read 257,196 times
I'm kind of curious myself. I have an F-250 2WD that I've had since new and have been considering a move to Denver. Does it get to the point where people need front wheel drive or 4WD? Also, what does Denver do to keep the roads safe when it snows? When I lived in BFLO they pretty much (and still do) just bombarded the roads with rock salt which pretty much destroyed a car in a matter of a few years. My truck is in excellent shape and have no intentions of driving it anywhere it might see salt.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:48 AM

4,506 posts, read 5,484,809 times
Default 2wd

You'll be fine..the snow rarely stays on the ground in town for more than a day. good tires and starting out slow is the key...maybe put some weight over the axle. I drove a 2wd 1978 Dodge one ton club cab long bed here for 16 years...no problem...even in the few bad storms we had.

Just use common sense...

BTW in town slush and slush piles are a bigger problem than snow/ice.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:55 AM

2,181 posts, read 5,630,863 times
I recently commented on another thread about this. I hated my 2WD (RWD) pickup, but it only inconvenienced me maybe 3-4 days out of the year that I had it here. I had mine here in the city, so I had issues with getting stuck in parking spaces and pulling out from intersections and just stupid stuff that you would never have a problem with even in a FWD car. BUT, like I said, it was only a few times per year, and you should be OK as long as you're careful. Also, extra weight and snow tires would help.

As far as Denver and road conditions, they only really plow the main roads and usually ignore the neighborhoods. I don't think they use road salt here like what is used on the East Coast.

The other option is to use the bus or light rail when it snows, if it's convenient to where you will be working.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:37 AM

779 posts, read 2,255,709 times
I'll second that on not salting the side streets. Last year there was a stretch of ten days or so with the streets covered in compacted snow/ice in my neighborhood. I drove slow in my little FWD car, and had no problems, but I skidded to a stop a number of times.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:37 AM

3,869 posts, read 13,088,554 times
1. Good tires.
2. A set of tire chains.
3. Put around #200-#300 pounds over your rear axle.
(not by the tale gate and not by the cab)
4. a snow shovel
5. tow strap

Old 11-15-2011, 10:23 AM

4,506 posts, read 5,484,809 times
Default Salt

It is true they ignore side streets mostly, Still if you keep your foot out of it you shouldn't get stuck much if at all. When starting, first let off the brake and roll, then gently apply gas.

As for salt or ash...that seems to be a more popular back east...here its sand and mag-chloride.

If you guys were looking to BUY a truck and were worried about snow, I'd suggest a 4x4 but since you already HAVE 2wd...I wouldn't trade in just for the snow.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:50 AM

779 posts, read 2,255,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
1. Good tires.
2. A set of tire chains.
3. Put around #200-#300 pounds over your rear axle.
(not by the tale gate and not by the cab)
4. a snow shovel
5. tow strap
Maybe add to this list a couple of carpet scraps and sand? My experience with chains is that once I'm stuck, it's hard to dig out enough clearance to get the chains on.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:43 AM

366 posts, read 1,176,548 times
what snow?

Old 11-15-2011, 05:32 PM

5,808 posts, read 9,467,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonT View Post
I inherited a 2005 GMC Sierra crew-cab pickup truck with rear-wheel drive. I don't know if it has traction control, but I assume it doesn't. Is this vehicle going to be dangerous to drive in the snow in Denver? I will mostly just do city driving, a little highway driving (no mountain driving) in this vehicle in the winter.

A rear 2wd truck is probably the worst vehicle you can drive on snow. All the engine weight is up front. Those rear tires are just going to spin out even on thin layers of snow or slush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or