U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 02:01 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,408,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver_hacker View Post
I really doubt the quality of the marching bands in the entire Denver metro area can be gauged by one band's sparse website.

Rather than assume the demise of marching bands along the front range, maybe someone should call one of the bands or the Colorado Bandmaster's Association and talk to someone with direct knowlege:

Colorado Bandmasters Association - Index

Or maybe contact the bands selected to compete in the Street Parade Competition in the Parade of Lights this weekend:

Arapahoe High School "Warrior" Marching Band
Columbine High School Rebel Marching Band
Denver Citywide Marching Band
Highlands Ranch High School Falcon Regiment
Lakewood High School Bengal Regiment
Legend High School Titan Marching Band
Mountain Range High School "Mustang" Marching Band
Overland High School Marching Trailblazers

Or contact one of the finalist bands in the statewide championships:

http://web.mac.com/manzcw/CBAMarchin...A3A_FINALS.pdf

Just an idea...
Just saw a few of these tonight at the Parade of Lights, and all were quite good. Legend High School Titan Marching Band stood out in particular. This is speaking as a former high school band geek and a current musician.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 01:13 PM

8,673 posts, read 19,330,735 times
Legacy High went to the Macy's parade this year.

Legacy High School Lightning Bands

Old 12-03-2011, 10:15 PM

1,821 posts, read 3,117,058 times
I was at the Parade of Lights tonight, too. Was the Denver Citywide Marching Band the smallest band? I think I know which one they were, but missed/didn't notice the banner, so I wasn't sure.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:48 PM

2,973 posts, read 4,586,270 times
Well, John F Kennedy H.S. has a small marching band -- but they just perform at the halftime of the Homecoming Football game. They are a DPS school.

It makes sense to me that a suburban school would be better/more popular for a marching band -- it is not cheap to play an instrument!

Old 10-19-2013, 04:56 PM

1 posts, read 242 times
Unhappy Denver Citywide Marching Band 1986-1990

I was in this band during these year and we were a really strong elite group of a very large band comprised of 200 - 300 students that worked really hard. traveled to most local and national competitions this is really sad to see this group being reduced to 50 - 80 students. i think our flag staff was larger then this current entire band. during the years i was in this band we not only competed but also did the half time shows for the Rose Bowl, Freedom Bowl, and the Hula Bowl games. Very disappointing to think this band simply has fallen from the great heights of what was once the most difficult band to get into and to compete against. it was then under direction of Mr Gonzalez and Mr Singleton

Old 10-19-2013, 07:58 PM

391 posts, read 241,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Coming from DC and then the south in Carolina, Denver is the first place I've ever lives where high school marching bands ARE NOT a big thing.
Ditto. Didn't ever even think about HS bands not being universal.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:12 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,173,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD401 View Post
Ditto. Didn't ever even think about HS bands not being universal.
These are some of the ways schools and school districts keep their budgets and taxes low. They cut programs that are ubiquitous in other parts of the country. For instance:

- Districts here have district stadiums - Teams don't have a "home" stadium.
- Many schools do not have marching bands, orchestras, or show choirs (think Glee)
- Many high schools do not have swimming pools.
- Most schools do not offer all sports sanctioned by CHSAA. Many schools do not offer lacrosse, gymnastics, ice hockey, field hockey, and/or swimming (see above).
- Many districts have huge classes (70+ students) in high schools for electives like PE, choir, etc.
- Some districts limit the number of academic classes a student may take in high school to keep the number of teachers down. Instead kids are crammed into a "homeroom" class or study hall with 50 - 60 students.
- Some districts make students pay to use the school bus to get to school. Additionally, not all sports are given transportation to/from athletic events.
- Many vocational programs that existed at every high school were consolidated into a single location with limited openings and transportation opportunities.

If you want certain programs, you will have to move into an area where that program is offered. Otherwise your child is out of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver