U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 07:46 PM

4 posts, read 2,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There is no need to deliberately live that far away from work.
I wouldn't call it deliberately living that far from work if we have enough reasons to justify it. I'm also not sure how that helps us, but thanks for your opinion!

RE: the other information, again, THANKS everyone. This all really helps to narrow down the visit and understand where we need to compromise.

mic111: LOVE your post. I hate to say it but the mountain lions are so cool. Granted, a bit scary!! I didn't realize coyotes had been a problem in the area.

I hate snakes but down here we've had some copperheads in our yard and countless non-venomous snakes. I guess it has HELPED to desensitize but I'll never stop looking over that log before I step down...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 09:40 PM

67,351 posts, read 54,981,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebsgman View Post
I wouldn't call it deliberately living that far from work if we have enough reasons to justify it. I'm also not sure how that helps us, but thanks for your opinion!

RE: the other information, again, THANKS everyone. This all really helps to narrow down the visit and understand where we need to compromise.

mic111: LOVE your post. I hate to say it but the mountain lions are so cool. Granted, a bit scary!! I didn't realize coyotes had been a problem in the area.

I hate snakes but down here we've had some copperheads in our yard and countless non-venomous snakes. I guess it has HELPED to desensitize but I'll never stop looking over that log before I step down...
I'm saying, there's not much justification for living 45 min. from Mom's work. You can meet most of your needs much closer than that, and some can't be met at all, as has been pointed out.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:28 AM

4 posts, read 2,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm saying, there's not much justification for living 45 min. from Mom's work. You can meet most of your needs much closer than that, and some can't be met at all, as has been pointed out.
Ahh Glad to hear that! Thanks Kat.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:38 AM

1,094 posts, read 870,726 times
Default Let us know if we can be of further help

Glad the post was helpful. I must admit that I decided to answer it because our downtown access is pretty good compared to most areas. We also have a bus that goes to the airport that a number of us in the area have used. My neighbors and I have all traded off shuttling each other to it at various times because the covered parking at the airport is quite expensive and you don't really want to leave your car open to the snow storms or hail when on long trips. For short trips or business paid parking it is OK to use the airport parking but long vacations when your paying for it yourself it is better to take the bus.

Personally I really like the area south of Denver. It is prettier down there. They now have the light rail to get downtown which could help you. Larger lots aren't as easy to come by but if you liked more suburban living it is an area to consider. I also like the Roxborough area to the SW of town. Not good airport or commuting access for you though. I love hiking there and they have lots of pretty homes among the red rocks. Also lots of rattlers on the hikes.

We did look at the communities in the foothills of Boulder when we were looking to buy but our showings kept getting cancelled due to fire evacuations. We took the hint and bought down in the flatlands where there was little to no wildfire danger.

Our area is interesting as it is rural with town amenities. It amazes me that I can live on my over 1 acre lot but still walk to so many things, just like I lived in Denver. The lake we walk the dogs around is mostly deserted. It is a crowded day when I see 5 other people. Once they pave around it maybe it will get more crowded, right now it is dirt and gravel path.

When you do decide on a location check out what used to be on the land. There are some new developments that are on or close to old garbage dumps, on or close to old military bases with chemical contaminates etc.

Boulder is a special place. I honestly thought I would love it but the more time I spent there the more I didn't. But obviously alot of people do since it is very expensive to live there.

Were in a bit of an older community which is nice for mature trees and social activities. Someone is always throwing a party for something. We've got a Christmas cookie party coming up. There are often summer solstice parties, Kentucky derby parties, supper clubs at people's houses, tea or brunch out and I think next year there is even going to be an all girls getaway to New Orleans (food and shopping!) followed by a week long cruise for those who have the time.

For the snakes the Bull snakes look alot like rattlers with a diamond pattern on their back. They even manage to sound like rattlers by rustling the leaves. The trick is to look right at the tail for the rattles. I've never been bitten by a rattler but I do keep a snake bite kit in my car due to all my close calls when hiking.

I think the mountain lions are cute behind glass. Wouldn't want to have to go fight one off my dogs though. One of my neighbors had to fight a coyote off his Cocker Spaniel. His little guy is feisty and mean so he was glad it was the Cocker vs one of his other dogs which he felt wouldn't have been as good a fighting off the coyotes. A boy in our neighborhood had the heck scared out of him as his little Rat Terrier was trying to get in the dog door and the coyote kept trying to grab him back outside. The dog got in safe though. He was really glad the coyote didn't try to come in also.

Good luck with your search and feel free to post more questions.

Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver