U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-23-2011, 07:34 PM
 
Location: tucson,az
12 posts, read 24,276 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

What is going on in downtown Denver? I've seen more violent crime reports in the last 3 months than I've seen in the short 3 years I've lived here. The reporting tells you that these robberies and assaults are happening in Lodo usually after midnight. If that's so, why can't they be stopped? Forgive me if I'm ill informed or naive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-23-2011, 08:24 PM
 
Location: The Berk in Denver, CO USA
13,916 posts, read 20,103,660 times
Reputation: 22458
Default Don't be nave

Quote:
Originally Posted by family1 View Post
I've lived here
Really. Your profile says: Tucson, AZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by family1 View Post
What is going on in downtown Denver? ...these robberies and assaults are happening in Lodo
LoDo does not equal Denver. LoDo has lots of bars that let out late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by family1 View Post
naive.
It is spelled nave. This may help with illiteracy Diaeresis (diacritic) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2011, 05:33 AM
 
4,267 posts, read 5,285,321 times
Reputation: 3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by family1 View Post
What is going on in downtown Denver? I've seen more violent crime reports in the last 3 months than I've seen in the short 3 years I've lived here. The reporting tells you that these robberies and assaults are happening in Lodo usually after midnight. If that's so, why can't they be stopped? Forgive me if I'm ill informed or naive.
Can you post a link to any of the reports so we know specifically what you are talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2011, 08:12 AM
 
Location: The Berk in Denver, CO USA
13,916 posts, read 20,103,660 times
Reputation: 22458
Default Data are your friends

CBD
http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/337/documents/2011/11cbd.pdf (broken link)

Union Station
http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/337/documents/2011/11union.pdf (broken link)

Five Points
http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/337/documents/2011/11fivepts.pdf (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2011, 09:04 AM
 
4,267 posts, read 5,285,321 times
Reputation: 3579
Yes, I'm aware of the link for crime stats by neighborhood but that does not include information regarding the increase in crime happening specifically after midnight specifically in Lodo over the past three months. That is the information I'm asking about.

Also, dave, if you look at the OP's prior posts, he or she really does live in Denver, not AZ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2011, 09:14 AM
 
Location: tucson,az
12 posts, read 24,276 times
Reputation: 10
Default Crime downtown

I have lived in Lakewood for the past 3 years, however my family spends a lot of time downtown (CBD, Lodo, Commons Park, Golden Triangle) I am a 65 year old male and I have a young family of 4. Sorry for not changing my profile, but I never really thought about it. My question is in regard to the recent attacks that have been in the local news. My reason for wanting to know is that we have been planning to move downtown and I find these incidents troubling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2011, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Ned CO @ 8300'
2,018 posts, read 4,313,841 times
Reputation: 2852
@Dorthy - the attacks have been happening over the past several YEARS not just months. It's been all over the news and in the paper...

From 2009: Final arrest made in downtown Denver bias-motivated attacks | 9news.com
DENVER - Police say they have made their final arrest in a series of aggravated robberies and bias-motivated crimes in the downtown area. Eighteen-year-old Allen Ford was arrested in east Denver late Thursday afternoon. In all, police have arrested 35 people in the series of violent attacks over the past four months.

Posted: 11/22/2011 01:00:00 AM MST After attacks, Guardian Angels boost downtown Denver patrols to rein in ruffians - The Denver Post
Police said 15 attacks and robberies were reported downtown between Aug. 1 and Nov. 9, including six on the pedestrian mall and five on Market Street. Those follow a string of what appeared to be racially motivated muggings along the mall and nearby in 2009.

@family1 - It's a legitimate concern. Perhaps with a greater presence by the police and Guardian Angels the situation will improve.

@ DB - really? the last sentence of your first post was rude and unnecessary. : (
Perhaps you could teach Dorthy how to use "The Google".

Last edited by Neditate; 11-24-2011 at 11:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2011, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Boulder, CO
676 posts, read 1,600,028 times
Reputation: 834
What race were these criminals targeting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2011, 06:27 PM
 
4,267 posts, read 5,285,321 times
Reputation: 3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
@Dorthy - the attacks have been happening over the past several YEARS not just months. It's been all over the news and in the paper...

From 2009: Final arrest made in downtown Denver bias-motivated attacks | 9news.com
DENVER - Police say they have made their final arrest in a series of aggravated robberies and bias-motivated crimes in the downtown area. Eighteen-year-old Allen Ford was arrested in east Denver late Thursday afternoon. In all, police have arrested 35 people in the series of violent attacks over the past four months.

Posted: 11/22/2011 01:00:00 AM MST After attacks, Guardian Angels boost downtown Denver patrols to rein in ruffians - The Denver Post
Police said 15 attacks and robberies were reported downtown between Aug. 1 and Nov. 9, including six on the pedestrian mall and five on Market Street. Those follow a string of what appeared to be racially motivated muggings along the mall and nearby in 2009.

@family1 - It's a legitimate concern. Perhaps with a greater presence by the police and Guardian Angels the situation will improve.

@ DB - really? the last sentence of your first post was rude and unnecessary. : (
Perhaps you could teach Dorthy how to use "The Google".
Neditate, I'm aware of the attacks over the years but the OP says that the increase has been over the last three months. That is what I was asking for clarification about.

Last edited by Dorthy; 11-24-2011 at 07:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2011, 10:50 PM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,142 posts, read 8,817,525 times
Reputation: 7732
Quote:
Originally Posted by family1 View Post
I have lived in Lakewood for the past 3 years, however my family spends a lot of time downtown (CBD, Lodo, Commons Park, Golden Triangle) I am a 65 year old male and I have a young family of 4. Sorry for not changing my profile, but I never really thought about it. My question is in regard to the recent attacks that have been in the local news. My reason for wanting to know is that we have been planning to move downtown and I find these incidents troubling.
10,000 people live in Downtown Denver. A 110,000 people work in Downtown Denver. 58,000 students go to school in Downtown Denver. Add to that thousands of homeless people and thousands of visitors to Downtown Denver. When you have that many people crowded into a few square miles, things are going to happen. Expect to see crime anywhere with that many people in a small area.

If you want to live someplace with little crime, move to a small town in the middle of nowhere. Where there is probable less then one crime a year. Prepare for boredom though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top