Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 12:38 AM

7 posts, read 37,741 times

Advertisements

Hi, my name is Jasmine and I am looking for a green chile recipe like the chile at Chubbys on 38th (Santiagos or Tamale kitchen are close too) if anybody can help it would be greatly appreciated. My grandma made chile just like it but I never thought to get the recipe before she passed. I have tried many recipes but none compare.
Thanks,
Jasmine
Attached Thumbnails
Colorado style green chile-chubbys.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 01:59 AM

1 posts, read 16,633 times
Old Fashioned Colorado Green Chili This is a flavorful, simple recipe that can easily be modified to suit your taste.

Ingredients:
2 lbs. cubed pork
1 tbsp. minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
1/4 tsp pepper
3 tbsp. flour
2 cups diced fresh tomatoes (you can substitute 1 14 oz can)
1 14.5 oz can chicken broth
1 cup water
2 ½ cups diced green chiles (about 20 chiles)
2 cups diced onion.
Salt & pepper to taste.

Instructions:
Brown pork in skillet with garlic and pepper. Add flour and brown as well.

In crock pot, mix pork, garlic, tomatoes, water, green chiles and onion. Simmer for at least 2 hours. Water can be added to thin down and flour can be added to thicken.

(You can also cook it in a large pot on the stove at low heat.)

Hint: Let simmer at least an hour before tasting and modifying by adding chiles, more tomatoes, garlic, etc.

This is a very meaty, very slightly thickened chili – thin for Colorado style chili. If you like really thick chili, use 4-5 tbsp. flour rather than 3 and/or reduce the water.

Makes approximately 3 quarts. Serves 8-10.

Prep time: 1 hour (includes dicing pork, garlic tomatoes, and chiles)
Cooking time: 2 hours
Total time: 3 hours

Old 12-08-2011, 10:00 AM

17,666 posts, read 29,540,339 times
Default Some substitutions

pork -> pork shoulder or butt (the cheaper the cut, the more flavor)

3 tbsp. flour -> masa harina

2 cups diced fresh tomatoes (you can substitute 1 14 oz can) -> 1 can of Rotel

2 ½ cups diced green chiles (about 20 chiles)
The traditional chile is the Big Jim from Hatch, NM (aka Anaheim)
You can also substitute some Pasiilas (aka Poblanos) for some of the Anaheims.

Overall, a very good recipe. Me now hungry. Thanks rayzadag.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:19 AM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
So many chili's are green that some of us don't know which variety to get, i.e., the fresh Anaheim or Poblano types in the produce section (not to mention all the hotter varieties like the Jalapeno) or the diced green Hatch chili's in the can in the ethnic food aisle.

Can the recipe be made without meat?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:52 AM

12,259 posts, read 24,350,175 times
I found this recipe in the Pittsburgh news paper. I thought you might like it so I decided to post it here.

Dan's Gourmet Pueblo Green Chile

This recipe won second place (non-commercial recipe) in the 2011 chile contest at Pueblo's Chile & Frijoles Festival.
  • 1 pound sirloin pork cubed
  • 2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 11 1/2 cups water
  • 8 Pueblo chiles (roasted, peeled and diced)
  • 5 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 5 tablespoons flour
  • 1 14-ounce can chopped and peeled tomatoes
  • 1 can (16 ounces) chicken broth
  • 1 teaspoon chicken base
Lightly brown pork in oil until glazed. Add 1/4 cup water, chiles, garlic, salt, garlic salt and pepper and heat through. In a blender combine 1 1/2 cups of water with flour blending until smooth. In 8-quart saucepan add pork mixture, tomatoes, 10 cups of water, chicken broth, and chicken base (for a less watery consistency, cut the water to 8 cups). Bring to a boil. Slowly add flour mixture until desired consistency. Let simmer for 25-30 minutes.

Read more: Hot in Pueblo: Mirasol green chiles give this Pittsburgh-like town its flavor

Old 12-08-2011, 11:58 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,713,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

Can the recipe be made without meat?
You can leave out the meat & use vegetable broth instead.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:23 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,401,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
You can leave out the meat & use vegetable broth instead.
That seems to be pretty safe, though I'd consider adding some tempeh to it for the protein and texture.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:28 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,085,821 times
I like the Tamale Kitchen and Chubby's version, but that type of chile (very little pork and thicker consistency) is best for smothering things. I am more of a Green Chile stew sort of person which is basically what the first recipe is.

One tip:

I second the use of olive oil to brown the pork (2nd recipe). You'll need 2-3 tablespoons. Pour it in the pan and add the pork. Coat the pork with the oil. Once the pork is nearly browned, add the flour or masa and coat the pork and brown them both together. The flour will soak up the oil and thicken the mixture.

More variation:

You can add posole (a type of Mexican hominy that is basically a type of large white Mexican corn kernels soaked in lime) and/or potatoes as well. My family has been making green chile stew like that for a long time. For the vegetarians, this adds more texture and flavor.

Also:
Fresh roasted chiles are preferable, but frozen chiles work fine. If you bought roasted chiles on the street this fall and froze them, it is actually easier to peel them once they have been frozen and defrosted. If you decide to roast your own chiles, make sure the chiles have been peeled (the glossy part of the skin should come off after it is roasted). There are some good whole frozen green chiles in the grocery store (I get mine at King Soopers) which are better than canned green chiles, as well as frozen posole (also at King Soopers)

Old 12-08-2011, 12:32 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,085,821 times
One more tip:

You can make the chile milder (if that is what you want) by removing some or all of the chile pepper's seeds before you add them into the pot.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:56 PM

17,666 posts, read 29,540,339 times
Default Lard

I almost forgot.

olive oil -> lard (I love lard)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver