U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 03:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,212 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are moving from Charlotte, NC to Colorado. Anywhere near Denver is an option. We love the outdoors and open spaces but we also want to be near (within an hour) the city.

Commuting is not a problem but safety and peaceful areas are my concern.

I did some research on crime and compared Charlotte to Denver and apparently Charlotte has almost triple the violent crime rate. However, Denver has way more gangs...? IDK.

Either way, we are looking for a house within a $150,000 range and we want to stay far away from the gangs, is this possible? If so, where can we go? Any help would be much appreciated.

Also, from what I have read, we want to stay away from Greeley, and south Co.Springs. Other than that, anywhere is an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 03:11 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,312,355 times
150K is not much for a house in a nice area here, I'm thinking you are going to be hard pressed to find something nice in an area like you want

Old 12-08-2011, 03:47 PM

152 posts, read 276,326 times
is there really a gang problem in denver?

Old 12-08-2011, 05:02 PM

14,014 posts, read 20,323,805 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca-ut-?? View Post
is there really a gang problem in denver?
Roving gangs of yuppies arguing about the merits of various Subaru models.
Not in Denver. We sent them all to Lakewood.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:12 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,542,042 times
You may not be able to find many newer home in a newer area but you can find some in this time of falling prices. You can easily find some older smaller homes for 150K that are in older, safe and well established areas in the suburbs as well as some areas of the city.

It is a narrow view to say that only nice areas are mostly limited to higher cost housing.

You can search REcolorado.com - brought to you by Metrolist Inc. and put in Arvada, Wheat Ridge, Lakewood, Westminster, Aurora, Thornton, Centennial, Littleton and certain zips of Denver, and find homes at that price range in good neighborhoods.

Livecontent

Old 12-09-2011, 08:13 AM

Still think it's going to be tough, forgetting the nice area 150k isn't much for a house here at all. If you were moving to FL I would say you'd do very well, but the whole housing mess didn't really happen here like a lot of states. The county I moved from in FL the average home value was down 40-50% with about 20% foreclosure rate.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:23 AM

13,236 posts, read 24,407,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Still think it's going to be tough, forgetting the nice area 150k isn't much for a house here at all. If you were moving to FL I would say you'd do very well, but the whole housing mess didn't really happen here like a lot of states. The county I moved from in FL the average home value was down 40-50% with about 20% foreclosure rate.
I think you'd be surprised at what $150K could get in Aurora and Thornton.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:58 AM

14,014 posts, read 20,323,805 times
Default Some nice houses

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I think you'd be surprised at what $150K could get in Aurora and Thornton.
I know nothing about these neighborhoods and just picked some from Thornton on Zillow.

11724 Elizabeth Ct,Thornton, CO 80233 $150K
12391 Madison Ct, Thornton, CO 80241 $152K
9071 Poze Blvd,Thornton, CO 80229 $153K

Old 12-09-2011, 09:59 AM

5,090 posts, read 13,542,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
There are many houses that fit those categories. I just picked one quickly, in Arvada, since I know this area well:

REcolorado.com - brought to you by Metrolist Inc. (http://www.recolorado.com/Search/propertyDetail.asp?mls_number=1033530 - broken link)

I will give the address as the link will disappear and future readers can see what I am talking about. It is now being sold at $150,000 as a short sale which means, you can negotiate a lower price. It is indicated as being remodeled. The street view shows a house with good appeal.

8929 SHARON Ln
Arvada, 80002

What is wrong with this house. The location is in a very well established neighborhood. All homes are well kept. It is walkable to public transit, parks and stores. It is in Jeffco with the well regarded school system. There are great elementary and middle schools nearby. It is Arvada which is considered by most as great place to live. It is just west of Olde Town Arvada which you can get to by walking or biking. A new rail station will be built in Olde Town, on the Gold Line, which is now approved and financed. It is very close to Downtown Denver and the new "In" neighborhoods of North Denver.

It is not nice because it is not in higher economic level of residents? It is not nice because it is not new? It is not nice because it is not the biggest or the most modern? It is not nice because it is not in the southern suburbs? It is not nice because it is not in the bragging range of 500K? It is not nice because it lacks the look of conspicuous consumption?

In fact this house is a excellent location with potential for a good price increase in the future. That is because the Arvada Plaza, which is just west, and walkable, is going to be redeveloped into one of those new urban style developments. The Plaza is not now decayed and it is mostly leased with local run stores and restaurants. It is just older but maintained, built in the 1960s, and the city planners see an opportunity.

The neighborhood around is extremely safe and clean. Look at the area on the maps and you will see mostly brick homes that are well maintained on the more common larger lots of the past.

It fits the needs, and wants of many people. In the 1960s this house would have been considered one of the best for a growing family and certainly can serve that purpose today.

Oh, just too add very quietly, that this area is mostly white. Now, I know that some of you, who chatter diversity but will never, never live it, would be afraid that some of the "Brown" people may move here because the prices are reasonable and high costs of housing are used for de facto segregation. Well, you may be right as Arvada is very welcoming of all People of Color, and even some of the worse people--a loud former New Yawker, like myself, who will tell it, like I see it.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 12-09-2011 at 11:01 AM..

Old 12-09-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I know nothing about these neighborhoods and just picked some from Thornton on Zillow.

11724 Elizabeth Ct,Thornton, CO 80233 $150K
12391 Madison Ct, Thornton, CO 80241 $152K
9071 Poze Blvd,Thornton, CO 80229 $153K
Yeah for sure you can get houses for 150k here, I did a quick search for a few in Littleton but when I looked in closer at the neighborhood yeah I moved on to the next.

I guess it depends on what the OP considers nice, everyone's definition is different. Some people tell me Capitol Hill is nice, but every time I go there I can't wait to get out as fast as possible.

The OP is from NC, and housing there is WAY cheaper than here, so he might be used to something different that his definition of nice is for 150k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or