U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 12:35 PM

12,281 posts, read 8,089,918 times

Advertisements

But wait, there is more.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 08:04 PM

2,267 posts, read 4,523,171 times
He's slightly more popular than Jesus and slightly less than John Elway.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:35 PM

164 posts, read 529,983 times
Denver-remember this thread?? 15 pages of knee-jerk worshiping--- this joke is on you!!!

Old 01-05-2014, 10:40 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,423,916 times
He still has more wins in the playoffs than Manning. Let's hope that changes next week!

I am going to watch the championship game tomorrow night to see his first appearance on ESPN as an analyst.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:49 PM

Yep, that is true...at least more playoff wins as a Bronco than Manning. It's funny: if you think of how bad his skill set was vs. what he did achieve (vs. the Steelers who were much stronger previously) it is pretty impressive. Contrasted with how many advantages Manning had, with how badly he failed, it is all very humbling.

I enjoyed Tebow's heart, but while he was in Denver, the media coverage was nauseating.....local and national journalists were to blame.

I hope he gets a shot in the NFL again. He was not given a fair shake by the Jets, and could likely do as well as the current rotating cast of backups that seem to cycle through the various teams.

An interesting figure, to say the least.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:49 AM

532 posts, read 909,028 times
Forgive me if someone else has already expressed this view, but to me this is a non-issue. I also don't care about the Kardashians, Miley Cirus and a host of other popular culture topics. Life is very short, and I only want to spend my precious time with things that either inspire me or teach me something valuable. I've never even watched many popular programs, mostly all the reality tv shows--such as the bearded guys with the guns. No way am I going to waste my precious life on some concocted nonsense.

To me, football and anything or anyone associated with it, is in this category.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:48 AM

20,907 posts, read 39,189,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaustin View Post
Forgive me if someone else has already expressed this view, but to me this is a non-issue. I also don't care about the Kardashians, Miley Cirus and a host of other popular culture topics. Life is very short, and I only want to spend my precious time with things that either inspire me or teach me something valuable. I've never even watched many popular programs, mostly all the reality tv shows--such as the bearded guys with the guns. No way am I going to waste my precious life on some concocted nonsense.

To me, football and anything or anyone associated with it, is in this category.
Agree fully on reality tv, it's all crap; the kartrashians, duck dudes, miley psycho, lindsey lowdown, desperate dames, trump firing narcissistic apprentices, et al. I hate it all and won't watch.

But live sports still has a rather solid ring of truth to it. Millions of young men and women have learned valuable life skills by competing to the best of their ability; some win, some lose, but IMO all are better off for the experience. There's no faking athletic ability or performance, no phony hype, no airbrushing. To compete honorably on the field of play teaches people how to strive and to deal with whatever happens.

Meanwhile, I'm not a fan of Tim Tebow, always considered him a grandstanding circus act. I don't think he has the experience to be a sports analyst, ESPN is mostly likely going for the buzz factor. If he succeeds fine, but if not, look for him to pop up in some other opportunistic endeavor.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:06 PM

JTAUSTIN- that's the greatness of sport: it is not concocted nonsense. And really, if a person is watching ANY television and taking cues on how to conduct themselves or how to treat others, then they are sorely misguided. Yet, it does happen. And, sadly, TV is often a reflection of how people already act....it sums-up the zeitgeist. This is one reason Tebow was a popular figure. He represented values that people thought they had about themselves (the "talking culture"). He was beyond football, and could have done alot of damage had he really used that power at that time.....I heard talk of a political career- YIKES!

As stated by MIKEfrombackeast, sports go beyond just the tv couch-potato gazing aspect. Learning the value of failure and perseverance is a key to surviving in the jungle of society. Feeling part of a team is special, and accomplishing goals is a beautiful dynamic (whether it be on a team, in a band, or a relationship). For me, the sport-related memories I have are some of the most transcendent of my life: playing catch with my dad, shooting pucks late on a Friday in high-school since I had minimal social life, playing stickball with friends, trying and trying and trying to perfect tricks on a skateboard, etc. All of it is worthwhile. The hero-worship is one thing, but participating in sports enhances one's being.

Watching football can be great, with all the (unscripted) drama of any theater play. The endless variation is strangely beautiful. Unfortunately, ya just gotta ignore the commercials.....

Old 01-06-2014, 12:09 PM

532 posts, read 909,028 times
I'm not proscribing behavior for anyone else, I'm just saying that, for me, if you want to torture me, take me to a football game. I don't understand what's going on (and don't care), it's too loud and rowdy, and I find it a bit frightening. I get to feel that way.

Regarding the productive lessons to be learned by the football players, I have to wonder if the danger of injury is not a bigger weight on the opposite side: they could learn the same thing (and more) in orchestra or in some other sport. Adult players are sustaining brain injuries that, apparently, may lead to depression, incapacity, even murder/suicide. I think it's a stupid sport. I'm not condemning all sports, just football. If you like it, fine; just find somebody else to watch it with, not me.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:27 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,905,550 times
Tim Tebow.... Hmmm....

Why does that name sound familiar?

Didn't he used to be famous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver