U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 04:59 PM

10,686 posts, read 11,093,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I couldn't care less about him. I don't like sports of any type, and especially don't get the hype of football. You couldn't pay me to go to a Broncos game! Or any other one, for that matter.
But surely you can recognize that the above statement represents YOUR PREFERENCE and that it may be different from many others' preferences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 05:49 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,723,022 times
Quote:
He's a virgin. He doesn't date, nor had been known to date. You do the math!
Yeah, I'll do that math. There's probably at least 100,000 chicks in this town, I estimate, who would DO Tebo if given the chance.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:10 PM

208 posts, read 355,431 times
Being that I'm from Alabama, I don't see what all the hoopla is about with Tebow. He gave us the national championship.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:32 PM

12,282 posts, read 8,094,328 times
Quote:
I couldn't care less about him. I don't like sports of any type, and especially don't get the hype of football. You couldn't pay me to go to a Broncos game! Or any other one, for that matter.
Thanks for commenting.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:44 PM

205 posts, read 426,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic View Post
As an avid sports fan living in NYC, I'm wondering if the entire city of Denver is actually as enamored with Tim Tebow as ESPN makes it out to be. So I figured I'd post here, on a non-sports website, to get some feedback from the locals.

How beloved are the Broncos in your estimation? How divisive an issue is Tim Tebow in Denver right now? Are there still a lot of Bronco fans who don't want him as your QB of the future, or has pretty much the entire city bought in to him besides Elway? How has his religious fervor (Some would say fanaticism) impacted how the fans view him? Is Denver a highly religious city?

I gotta say, love him or hate him, Tim Tebow sure has made the NFL a very fun sport to be a fan of this season, and Bronco games are must-see events for the entire nation for the first time in a LONG time.
I'm speaking as a transplant who roots for the Broncos as long as they aren't playing against the Giants.

The Broncos are beloved in Denver. It doesn't matter if John Elway, Tim Tebow or Tweety Bird is the quarter back; this team is loved here as it should be. I don't think that Tim Tebow as QB is decisive at all right now. Let's be real - there hasn't been a whole lot to cheer about with this team in a couple of years. The last season with Shanahan as head coach was a snoozer and it just got worse under McHoodie. Fox was smart to give Tebow a chance; the team was tanking with Orton as the starting QB and they had nothing to lose by making the switch. Worst case, Tebow sucks as much as his critics said and best case, the team starts winning. IMO, the Broncos fans want a QB who helps win games and Tebow's the first guy who's done that in a while. Elway's being prudent with his comments; Tebow still has plenty of room for improvement, especially with his passing If I were part of the team's management, I'd be concerned that the team's wins were up in the air until the last few minutes and OT. Personally, I don't think that Tebow's religious beliefs play that much of a role in his popularity; the team's record since he's started has. Denver's not an especially religious city. I totally agree with your closing statement. Tebow's made Bronco's foot ball exciting and fun to talk about.

Edited to add - If the Bronco's beat the Patriots this week, I will be a very happy football fan.

Last edited by LisaBoulder; 12-16-2011 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: added closing snark

Old 12-16-2011, 10:11 PM

1,993 posts, read 2,970,270 times
I like the guy, but I'm a Pats fan. I hope he is just a little less of a deal come Sunday. Denver is like a big black hole for the Patriots. We can't win there no matter who plays on the team. May our fortunes change Sunday...

Old 12-16-2011, 10:20 PM

16,528 posts, read 20,980,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
I like the guy, but I'm a Pats fan. I hope he is just a little less of a deal come Sunday. Denver is like a big black hole for the Patriots. We can't win there no matter who plays on the team. May our fortunes change Sunday...
Agreed. The New England Patriots last 15 visits to Mile High Stadium, and now Invesco (whoops, now we call it Sports Authority Field at Mile High) haven' been very productive. The Broncos have beaten the Pats in 13 out of the last 15 home contests.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:45 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,719,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I seem to be in the minority of people who just don't get the big deal about Tebow. From what I've seen he isn't that great of a football player. He has his moments, but there are other players who deserve just as much credit for their wins.
You know that moment when you watch the carnage of a twenty car pile up on I-25 in the snow that you just KNOW had to be fatal for someone, AND YET, every single person walks away with little more than shaken nerves...and in fact, they all come out ahead from the insurance money?

THAT is the big deal about Tim Tebow. It's like watching the most surprisingly positive train wreck you've ever seen...it just doesn't make sense, but it's fascinating to watch.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:59 AM

16,528 posts, read 20,980,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic View Post
As an avid sports fan living in NYC, I'm wondering if the entire city of Denver is actually as enamored with Tim Tebow as ESPN makes it out to be.
This is my take on ESPN for what its worth. And its just my opinion. ESPN is a necessary evil for the average sports fan. The network in a way reminds me of the movie "Destry Rides Again" where Marlena Dietrich tells a young Jimmy Stewart "the wheel is crooked but it's the only wheel in town."

You have a cast of characters here that know their rolls and play them well; Skip Bayless-Mr. Antagonist, Steven A. Smith-Mr. Attitude, Woody Paige- Mr. Buffoon, and on and on. Long time ESPN broadcaster Chris Berman's self proclaimed nickname is "The Boomer". I refer to him as "the Tom Swift and his electric sound effects machine" of NFL broadcasters and personalities. And then there's Merill Hoge, who took this hyperbole to a new level with unabashed name calling, referring to Tebow as a joke, a clown, a poor excuse for a quarterback, etc., etc. That's where a lot of this hype started to amp up.

ESPN's big audience is the 20 to 40 year old male. And they don't have just the one station, they have several; ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Classic, ESPN News, ESPN Deportes, ESPN U, and probably a few more ESPN's I'm not aware of.

That being said they are "King of the Mountain" in regards to sports coverage. And it's not that I don't watch the network at all. As the moderator for pro and college football forums on City Data I do tune in from time to time. To respond and to oversee posts on ESPN related comments I do have to stay abreast of things football related. But I pick my spots and watch specific programs where certain broadcasters are involved as Iknow I'm going to get up front reliable news, commentary, and opinion. It's just that the network takes things too far, way too far, at times. And the Tim Tebow story is an excellent example.

I'm not into comedy, epescially bad comedy. I'm not into excessive self promotion. I'm into facts and straight up responsible journalism.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-17-2011 at 10:26 AM..

Old 12-17-2011, 10:42 AM

9,420 posts, read 17,401,654 times
I don't live in Denver, but Wyomingites long ago adopted the Broncos as our home team. Even though I live 350 miles north of Denver, we were longtime season ticket holders and attended all the home games -- and a few away games.

I would say Tebow is a big thing right now. I haven't been a fan of his for long; in fact, I thought replacing Orton was a mistake, but I'm becoming a believer. For whatever reason, the team with Tebow under center has become a different team than what we've seen in several years. Only time will tell us whether or not the magic will last. With that in mind, here's a little story I found on another board the other day:

Tom Brady, after living a full life, died. When he got to heaven, God was showing him around. They came to a modest little house with a faded Patriots flag in the window. "This house is yours for eternity Tom," said God. "This is very special; not everyone gets a house up here." Tom felt special, indeed, and walked up to his house.

On his way up the porch, he noticed another house just around the corner. It was a huge 3-story mansion with Orange and Blue sidewalks and driveways, a 50-foot tall flagpole with an enormous Broncos logo flag waving, a swimming pool in the shape of a horse, a Broncos logo in every window, and a Tim Tebow jersey on the front door.

Tom looked at God, "God, I'm not ungrateful, but I have a question. I was an all-pro QB, I won 3 Super Bowls, and I even went to the Hall of Fame."

"So what's your point Tom?" God asked.

"Well, why does Tim Tebow get a better house than I do?"

God chuckled, "Tom, that's not Tim's house, it's mine."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver