Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2011, 06:17 PM

8 posts, read 23,400 times

Advertisements

Possible relocation due to work in Thornton, CO.
From what I have read, Thornton isnt the most desirable place to reside
I would like some input on some towns or neighborhoods based on these criteria

Who we are:
Family in early 30's with 2 yr old daughter
Enjoy farmer's markets and anything revolving around food (hubby & i met in culinary school)
Nightlife &/or bar scene is not critical
However, access to music concerts would be really nice
Proximity to playgrounds/parks & children's library

Cost:
I have no idea what the standard is over there but ideally would like to stay for at least 6 mos in 2br rental with no more than 30 min commute to Thornton. I would like to stay below $2000/month..ideally would only like to pay $1300/month but willing to pay for space and covered garage

Also from what I have read, some parts of CO are very church-oriented..which we are definitely not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 06:39 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
If you are going to work in Thornton, then live in Thornton. Do not believe all the negatively about Thornton. Some people write negative comments because they live in more expensive areas and have very little idea of others areas, as they stay in their enclaves; make judgment and give advice based on no experiences. Much of Thornton is a great place to live with good services, schools and amenities. It has a variety of housing from older to very new. You could also look at other suburban areas of Northglenn and Westminster that are nearby, for Thornton is very expansive and some of the neighborhoods may be closer to place of employment.

Since, I assume you will be working in the Food Service Industry, your hours will be long and your schedules will be fragmented. You want to minimize your commute and have more time to spend with each other, your child and enjoy other pursuits. In addition, driving is a real big hazard to life and you want to do that less, especially at night when you may end your shifts.

Since you are not a church goer, your comment means nothing, as most people in Colorado do not attend church and it means nothing to them. There is no forced church association. I am atheist and I respect the religious community and it will has no overt effect on your life--if you choose not to be involved.

Many areas of Thornton are filled with young families and there are extensive Park, trails and open space run by the city and Adams County. The libraries, under Rangeview, are new, modern and have garnered a great deal of national attention and awards. I just recently started a thread on libraries
Libraries which highlights this library district.

There is great area to live in Thornton called Wright Farm, on 120 avenue. This is were there is new shopping, schools and the headquarters of this new anythink libraries, which is called the libraries in this district library http://www.anythinklibraries.org/loc...k-wright-farms

I have been through this area and it is fantastic. Adams County is growing rapidly and there is many stores, shops and restaurants in these new urban shopping centers, along the fast burgeoning corridor in proximity to the relatively new 470 beltway. It is has very close, west and north access to the growth around the new airport. There are new schools and housing all surrounding by parks and open space. Adams County is good place for a young family to start a life and have good job opportunities for now and the future.

All amenities in the Denver metro are easily accessed by living in Thornton. You want concerts then you go to Denver. You want food experience, you can go to Denver, Boulder or many other areas.

However, there is one big advantage in living in the North area for food, in that the area is still has heavy agriculture of truck farms of fruit and vegetable, dairy herds that serve the Denver area. The area north of the Denver basin is more fertile for this type of farming. Consequently, you will find more real authentic farmer stands along the fields, not some fake farmer market with some questionable products, like you find in some areas of the city and some of these expensive hyped yuppified markets.

The area was traditionally settled by Italian Immigrants who farmed in areas near Welby. Japanese immigration has been big in this area for over hundred years and they have farmed extensively near Brighton. There is a significant and growing Hispanic agriculture presence. These are the areas where people go to do "pick it yourself" activities for the families. For years, this is the area, where I would take a drive and stop at the roadside stands.

I know food and I have been here for 33 years. I am originally from New York. Oh, just to add, I did graduate from the CIA in Hyde Park, well before you were born and before it became famous. If I was younger, I would as a Culinary Graduate start developing a restaurant in these areas and tie myself in to the local produced products of these northern Colorado Counties. Stay away from the over saturated culinary meccas in Denver and Boulder with all the competition and high costs of operational expenses. Create your own path in the new communities of the north. Money is there; people make good money. Give them a better restaurant to spend their money, closer to where they live. Or have better hours and work in the large and expanding on site, business and industry, or school food service. There you will find many opportunities.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 12-18-2011 at 07:09 PM..

Old 12-18-2011, 08:15 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Or

Live to west of Thornton in Arvada.
Whatever you do, do not live in Northglenn.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:15 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
I like recommending living east of work. Less sun traffic trauma.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:54 PM

136 posts, read 460,812 times
General rule of thumb in the north metro area that straddles I-25, (i.e. Westminster, Northglenn Thornton), prices increase as you travel northward. Transitions range from the the industrial sections (in the 50th-75th avenues) to the blue collar suburbs (80th-100th ave) to newer suburban areas (north of 120th ave).

Anything north of about 104th Ave should put you in an area that meets your criteria and is close to work.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:39 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,051,193 times
Default Bum information

I think you got some bum information. Thornton is perfectly nice. I personally would be happy to live there. The area I'm most familiar with is around Eastlake so I'll include a zillow link that allows you to see the currently available rentals. You will easily find something nice within your $1300/mth price range.

Eastlake Thornton CO Homes for Sale & Eastlake Real Estate - Zillow

I think the offerings right now are a bit picked over since probably not too many people had leases ending in Dec. You should see more come on the market after the holidays.

My dogs and I love walking the trails near Eastlake in the summer since they have mature trees and there is more shade.

The Orchard Marketplace (along the I-25 corridor next to Thornton) has free concerts every Fri. during the summer. They also have a farmers market but it is a "fake" farmers market and you won't find any good veggies there. They look like supermarket cast offs. However if you go to the one in Lafayette or Erie (both short drives) you will have better luck. I also go to a guy who lives about a mile from me who is a farmer and puts the produce out in his front yard. But he tends to have produce in the fall and not all summer long. Surprisingly he seems to remember me from year to year.

In the summer many parents bring their kid to play in the water spouts that shoot up next to the kids playground. It is wildly popular. Right now they have an ice skating rink and Santa for the kids. Year round they have a kids train that goes around the shopping center.

You should easily find an area with good neighborhood parks and trails. One bonus of Colorado is that you will also find lots of great recreation centers which have wonderful aquatic facilities, workout areas and kids activities. Here is a link to the one in Thornton.
Carpenter Recreation Center Amenities

Most folks in my neighborhood grow huge gardens and could run their own farmers market if they wanted to. Were kind of lazy and don't grow as much as we could although our persistent perennials of asparagus, raspberries and chives come up no matter what we do. I wish we had put in cantaloupe last year as we have had great success with that in the past but did not and had to do without when the commercial supply ran into problems. My lettuce is never any good so I stopped trying. My neighbors seem to have problems with lettuce also but some of the commercial farmers bring some great stuff to farmers markets so they are doing something we aren't.

If your into natural foods Johnson's Acres is very close by where you can get raw milk and other natural products.
Products

When I was a kid we went to an Amish farm for similar products and I still remember visiting with the cows and chickens. Johnson Acres welcomes the kids and you can see the baby cows and farm dogs when you go pick up your products.

Your closest natural grocery store will be the Sunflower Farmers Market at 120th in Thornton.
Store Locator :: Sunflower Markets (http://www.sunflowermarkets.com/Shop/WeeklyAd.aspx - broken link)

It is a nice one. Not too far away is a Sprouts and a Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage. We shop at all three as they all carry some unique products. These are all natural grocery stores but the mainstream ones like King Sooper which are on every corner it seems have really beefed up their organic and healthy food options so you will likely have good shopping opportunities wherever you are.

In terms of food you will have to cook your own meals. I don't mean to offend anyone but Colorado in general is a culinary wasteland. You will find lots of high priced restaurants which people rave about and lots of natural restaurants, particularly in the Boulder or Denver proper area. Their favorite thing is to throw together some interesting sounding ingredients which generally don't work together. Every now and then you will find a gem amongst the masses of wannabees but they are few and far between. I think Coloradoans are so deprived of good food that they except these strange pairings. I moved here from San Francisco where you can get some great food and used to travel extensively so often got great food in other cities which has made me slow to except the sub par offerings locally. A group from our neighborhood is flying to New Orleans early next year just to get some good meals, shop and generally have a good time. :-)

When we eat out we prefer to patronize the ethnic restaurants that cook from scratch. However mostly you will find chain restaurants as they are very popular here. Don't be surprised when you ask someone for a restaurant recommendation and they suggest Outback or Red Robin.

I don't think you have to worry about pockets of religious folks that will make you feel an outsider. Most times when I find out someone is religious I have known them for a really long time before it comes up. I think the Denver metro area is a live and let live sort of place.

Welcome to Colorado.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:15 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
You sound like you'd enjoy Stapleton - extremely kid friendly, 15 min. from everything in Denver, not at all "churchy", has a Farmer's Market. But price could be an issue. I think a 3 bdr. house rents for $2K plus in Stapleton. You could find a townhome in your price range. And the commute is only about 15 min. to Thornton.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:43 PM

8 posts, read 23,400 times
wow thank you to all for the advice..i'm blown away by all the kindness. i've perused other forums to other cities my family may relocate to & this has been by far hands down the nicest advice. i should know within the next 2 weeks about this possible job opportunity, but in the meantime i will check out everyone's suggestions

Old 12-22-2011, 06:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Live to west of Thornton in Arvada.
Whatever you do, do not live in Northglenn.
I disagree about Northglenn; didn't we talk about this yesterday? Arvada could be a long drive to Thornton, depending on where to where. I agree with those who say to forget what you've heard about Thornton. If you get the job, come out and take a look around; see what you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
You sound like you'd enjoy Stapleton - extremely kid friendly, 15 min. from everything in Denver, not at all "churchy", has a Farmer's Market. But price could be an issue. I think a 3 bdr. house rents for $2K plus in Stapleton. You could find a townhome in your price range. And the commute is only about 15 min. to Thornton.
It's also a bit of a drive from Stapleton to Thornton. I'd stay up north.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:55 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
What's wrong with Northglenn?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver