Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 12:03 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times

Advertisements

Never had a thread on this topic, so let's start one....

First we need to define eclectic....

Dictionary definitions of eclectic point towards "diversity" of many sorts.

Thesaurus synonyms include such terms as: assorted, amalgamated, blended, chaotic, cluttered, combined, commingled, composite, conglomerate, confused, disarranged, disarrayed, disheveled, disparate, divergent, fused, heterogeneous, hybrid, incorporated, intermingled, intermixed, indiscriminate, jumbled, kitchen-sink, merged, mingled, mixed, motley, manifold, muddled, multifarious, multiple, myriad, patchwork, ragtag, sundry, unclassified, unsorted, varied.

Okay, we're not talking cookie cutter suburban sprawl housing tracts here.

But it's more than house styles, it's the population, we're not talking about the above suburbs with stepford wives and group-think.

So....Denverites please identify areas within this map that you define as "eclectic" and hopefully elaborate a bit as to why....we can include some of the metro area too if we want, as I'd bet that all or parts of Golden, Boulder or XXXXX area may fit the term eclectic.

Thank you!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 12:20 PM

From 2006-2007 postings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Caroline72 View Post
... One area that you may want to strongly consider is Capitol Hill- the area is quite eclectic with lots of book stores, coffee shops, restaurants, etc and is practically downtown. Public transportation is also very accessible from that area. This area of Denver is also very liberal- it's home to a diverse mix of people. Hope this helps, good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Caroline72 View Post
...I would strongly suggest that you consider living downtown if you're desiring a more eclectic and urban atmosphere. There's much more in the way of culture, dining, nightlife, etc in that area as opposed to the more quiet suburbs. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
.... Cheeseman park is also close and nice in a more eclectic sort of way -- fewer families there though. ...
Quote:
Highland: Great area -- very eclectic and unique. Lots of artists live there, many galleries; lots of independent shops and restaurants with no chains. Great location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Shopping in Northwest Denver ... in Highland, at 32nd. and Lowell. These are eclectic shops and restaurants and delis. There is also concentration of similar shopping along Tennyson, just north of 38th avenue where it meets the old Elitch's Amusement Park with new dense housing and the location of the Sunflower Market. ... Arvada has the yuppie shopping at old town with the mix of eclectic shops but with new development of chain ....
Quote:
... On University, north of Evans is a very nice area including the Bonnie Brae area, near Exposition and an eclectic neighborhood with shops on South Gaylord just west of University, north of exposition....
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj32 View Post
I would think some of the Denver city neighborhoods would fit the bill of being rather diverse. The area around DU itself is rather eclectic -- neighborhoods include Observatory Park, University Park, Platte Park, Washington Park, Bonnie Brae. ...
Quote:
... one of the Denver neighborhoods would likely serve you well, provided you're willing to pay more for it. There are about a zillion threads talking about the best Denver neighborhoods (examples of frequently mentioned neighborhoods are Platt Park, Highlands, Congress Park, Capitol Hill, and Washington Park). Most of these neighborhoods are an eclectic mix of single family and multi-family homes. ....
Quote:
.... try finding a place around Cheesman Park. That is a very eclectic, diverse area, and the namesake park is beautiful. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj32 View Post
I live in the Washington Park neighborhood of Denver. I think it is pretty friendly over here, but as with any city neighborhood, it is hit or miss, and some parts pretty eclectic. ...
Quite a few posts, many more not quoted here, point to Highland and West Highland, as well as the above areas near downtown.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-27-2011 at 12:41 PM..

Old 12-27-2011, 12:23 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default Mmm...

Berkeley
Sunnyside
West Colfax
Villa Park
Highland (but not West Highland)
Five Points
Baker
Cole
Whittier

Old 12-27-2011, 12:54 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
East Colfax Ave, pretty much the whole thing from the state capitol east to the Aurora border, and Broadway, from downtown through Englewood are probably the two most "eclectic" streets in Denver.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:55 PM

More current info from 2011:

Quote:
... Highland and West Highland are great--I prefer West Highland with Lowell and West 32nd with all the walkable stores shopping. It would also be best to consider The Berkeley neighborhood, centered on Tennyson, north of West 38th. This area has extensive, eclectic, walkable shops and restaurants. It is not as "nightclubish" as West Highland--it is more family and sedate. However, it is near more parks and lakes and more basic shopping along Sheridan. Sheridan is the boundary of Denver and you many also want to look just a little west into the suburbs of Wheat Ridge which can provide good value in housing, from about west 32nd. to just north of West 38th.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
Capital Hill and/or Uptown are both very walkable and eclectic neighborhoods. Not quite on par with DC culturally, but ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndk View Post
Capitol Hill is way different from downtown. Much less money, far fewer people, and a little more grit. Vastly less urban. It varies wildly by section, but there are plenty of turn-of-the-last-century "Xyzabc Arms" dirt-cheap apartment buildings in that area that attract an eclectic crowd. Plenty of magnificent old mansions too; Humboldt Street is worth a walking tour just for those....
Quote:
...I would suggest the Baker neighborhood in Denver which runs along Broadway, just south of Downtown. There you can find reasonable rents and be close enough to many amenities in a nice neighborhood. It is one of Denver oldest neighborhoods and has gone through much redevelopment. It has many eclectic shops and restaurants and ... has accessible rail stations at Broadway Station and Alameda Station. In addition, the Broadway Bus, Route 0, is a main bus route and runs often and frequent, almost 24 hr. a day. Baker neighborhood photo tour...There other neighborhood that are also very nice from Platte Park to the South, to Highland, West Highland and Berkeley to the West. You may even find a good value in Capital Hill, near Downtown....

Old 12-27-2011, 05:45 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
When I think of eclectic, I always think of the stores along South Pearl St. in Denver from So. Alameda to So. Iowa Ave. When I lived in the Denver area, I patronized a a few of those businesses.

Listen Up is one of them. 685 So. Pearl. Want quality speakers, receivers, pre-amps, surround sound, home theater? They've been the leader in the Denver area regarding sound for the last few decades.

South of Listen Up is a mixture of different businesses and some residential housing. Here's a few businesses that fall along the line of "eclectic"; P.J's Boutique, Bella Serra Baby, Five Green Boxes, Greentree Cyclery, and Polka Dot. There are lots more, these are just a few that I remember.

On the south end of this strip is a music store that has a lot of history to it. The Denver Folklore Center is at 1893 So. Pearl and has been associated with the Denver music scene for a half century. For years and years it was located east of Broadway on east 17th avenue, then closed, then resurrected again. Harry Tuft is the proprietor. It's the place to go for new and used guitars, banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, autoharps, etc. Need guitar picks, strings, books, and sheet music? This is the place to go. You'll find some vintage and collectible instruments in there as well. Pull up their website- quite a bit of interesting history to this place!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-28-2011 at 07:41 AM..

Old 12-27-2011, 07:26 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
It appears that I have used the word eclectic many times in describing neighborhoods of Denver. These neighborhoods are more well known and well trodden by the new urban settlers who have a preference for the fancy little shops, new trendy restaurants; remodeled and gentrified housing. However, there are many more hidden areas of Denver that are not well known and sometimes avoided by the fragile, dainty dilettantes. Yet, they are there, and have some interesting and eclectic sights.

When I first came to Denver; Market, Blake, Wazee, Wynkoop streets etc. housed a very commercial area with warehousing and distributors. Off the 23rd. Street Viaduct was located the Denargo Market, a wholesaling fruit and vegetable. Much of the that commercial area is gone; the overhead viaducts have been torn down and remodeled. Much has turned into condominiums, baseball park, bars and restaurants. This commercial does extends north and is still operating and vibrant--and eclectic to those who have a wider view of life in Denver.

These neighborhoods of Globeville , Elyria Swansea and the areas of Five Points along the Platte are eclectic. Now, some of you would say, WHY? Well, there are WHYS here, that are worth seeing and knowing for those who want to be more well informed on Denver. This whole area is interesting to me because it is warehousing , meatpacking and industrial facilities surrounding by some of the oldest housing in Denver. In this area of Denver, you can pass by some of the largest food processing facilities and large refrigerated food warehouses. Drive up Washington, Brighton, York, Colorado etc. You will see much of what makes Denver, The Great Regional Distribution Center for a multi-state area. You will soon enter Adams county where much of this American Industrial muscle continues.

Going up Washington, between I-25 and the Platte, you will come into Globeville. This area reminds me much of the the industrial areas with East European Immigrants that was part of my early life, on the East Coast.. There is a old Polish Catholic Church Saint Joseph's Polish Church and School in Denver, Colorado In talking to many new Polish Immigrants that are coming to this area, they are telling me that the church and the church school is being renewed with the new arrivals. There is another interesting church in that area Holy Transfiguration of Christ Cathedral - Home of the orthodox tradition, reflecting these immigrants religious beliefs. There is much more to see in Globeville Globeville Civic Association #1 and new housing Home

I know some of you have been to the Denver Western Stock Show in Elyria Swansea. There is much more that can be seen and appreciated when the Stock Show is not running National Western Complex in Denver, Colorado - Colorado's Premier Show Place There is less traffic and you can drive around and see the old stock yards and the Stock Exchange Building Historic Denver | Programs | Current Issues | National Western Stock Show See all this while you can, for it will be gone in our future.

There will many new developments in Globeville and Elyria Swansea because of the new rail stations that will be associated with the now being constructed East Line to the Airport. Yes, there will be many stations before it hits DIA and there will be much development around these stations.

I want to point out a very interesting eclectic and quiet area, Riverside Cemetery Friends of Historic Riverside Cemetery This is one the oldest Cemeteries in Denver. If you are there and alive, it is worth a look.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 12-27-2011 at 07:38 PM..

Old 12-28-2011, 09:29 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,975,932 times
Looks like a lot of my old posts got quoted here.

When I think of eclectic -- I think of the parts of Denver that are popular enough to have generated interest from a wide section of the public, but not SO popular and expensive that they've been turned into gentrified enclaves. Examples of the former are Capitol Hill, Platt Park, Baker, or East Highland, the latter Cherry Creek, Belcaro, Country Club, etc. Those are nice (wealthy) areas but too antiseptic to be truly eclectic. Highly Gentrified neighborhoods like Washington Park or West Highland are kind of in the middle -- they've become pretty monochrome but they do have a good sense of their history and place.

As livcontent points out, some of the poorer sections of Denver are also among its most interesting IMHO -- I think the Vietnamese / Chinese / Latino section of south Federal and west alameda (most of the stretch of Federal south of 6th Avenue all the way to about Hampden). This is widely thought of as "ghetto" but also the location of Denver's most interesting stretch of restaurants and markets (it almost makes up for the rather depressing lack of such in our downtown).

Another eclectic and interesting part of Denver is the Leetsdale / Parker stretch. Proof that strip malls can be interesting -- in this case because of its importance to the Korean and Indian communities in Denver.

Of course, as VegasPilgrim says, E Colfax is really the center of eclecticness in Denver -- the funny thing is that most people seem to still remember it as a center of crime and vice. While there's a bit of that remaining, things have changed over the years and now I'd say that E Colfax is far more interesting than ever.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:34 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
Quote:
As livcontent points out, some of the poorer sections of Denver are also among its most interesting IMHO -- I think the Vietnamese / Chinese / Latino section of south Federal and west alameda (most of the stretch of Federal south of 6th Avenue all the way to about Hampden). This is widely thought of as "ghetto" but also the location of Denver's most interesting stretch of restaurants and markets (it almost makes up for the rather depressing lack of such in our downtown).

Another eclectic and interesting part of Denver is the Leetsdale / Parker stretch. Proof that strip malls can be interesting -- in this case because of its importance to the Korean and Indian communities in Denver.

Of course, as VegasPilgrim says, E Colfax is really the center of eclecticness in Denver -- the funny thing is that most people seem to still remember it as a center of crime and vice. While there's a bit of that remaining, things have changed over the years and now I'd say that E Colfax is far more interesting than ever.
Thanks for bringing that up. And for the newbies on this forum, I've done photo tours of all three of these streets tfox is talking about:

Federal Blvd -- PHOTO TOUR

Parker Rd/ Leetsdale Dr -- PHOTO TOUR

East Colfax Avenue -- PHOTO TOUR

Old 12-31-2011, 05:09 PM

792 posts, read 2,873,926 times
Compared to many other urban areas, Denver isn't very eclectic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver