U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 02:17 PM

21,016 posts, read 11,633,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiW View Post
An article on some current issues in Stapleton. The comments almost more interesting than the article.

As Stapleton neighborhood prepares to expand north, residents want south projects finished - The Denver Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I live in Stapleton and am disappointed that the Eastbridge town center hasn't been built, but I understand the recent economic conditions. My biggest gripe is that is seems like they build in an area, and move on without completing the first area. There are a lot of "holes", especially along MLK.

But it's still a great place to live and raise kids. I love it here.
This thread was interesting reading. It's definitely frustrating that some of the short falls of 3 years ago are still looming, although the infill building in S. Stapleton is certainly proceeding apace at this point and not all that many "holes" left. But I would love for the East side retail to finally get off the ground. Overall, it's still a great place to live and raise kids from my vast (j/k I only moved in 4 months ago!) experience.

And I'd love to know what will eventually end up in the open space to the east of the Bluff Lake area, but I suspect that is still very far down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 03:34 PM

694 posts, read 1,789,253 times
Well I'm extremely pleased with how my new urbanist neighborhood--Bradburn Village in Westminster--has turned out in the last few years. We've gotten some great retail and more slated to start construction soon. The primary thing has been the opening of the Bradburn Whole Foods which is a five minute walk from my front door and is outstanding (but of course, expensive--they don't call it Whole Paycheck for nothin'.)

However, there are still two large vacant areas in our downtown and one is very prominent and a bit of an eyesore. Have no idea when those will get built on. The largest current vacant land is across from the WF but is going to be built on soon with duplexes and a new retail building, once that's done the downtown will be about 80% finished (12 years to get to this point.)

The maturing trees and landscaping in the older parts of the neighborhood look really great, and the houses have been well kept up with some getting fun new paint jobs. There is only one lot in the neighborhood not yet built on. The house prices and days on market in here have gotten really nuts though, as they have in the whole Denver market apparently.

Been through Stapleton recently and thought the older areas looked great. Liked individual houses in Conservatory Green but many of the streetscapes were not diverse enough for me, also the walkability to Northfield wasn't great IMO.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:11 PM

52 posts, read 60,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
This thread was interesting reading. It's definitely frustrating that some of the short falls of 3 years ago are still looming, although the infill building in S. Stapleton is certainly proceeding apace at this point and not all that many "holes" left. But I would love for the East side retail to finally get off the ground. Overall, it's still a great place to live and raise kids from my vast (j/k I only moved in 4 months ago!) experience.

And I'd love to know what will eventually end up in the open space to the east of the Bluff Lake area, but I suspect that is still very far down the road.
Current funding plan suggests that the MLK extension to Peoria (but surrounded by what?) is finally on the docket for 2020-2024.

Financing and Building Future Infrastructure in Stapleton - Front Porch Stapleton

Old 03-29-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikataganai View Post
Current funding plan suggests that the MLK extension to Peoria (but surrounded by what?) is finally on the docket for 2020-2024.

Financing and Building Future Infrastructure in Stapleton - Front Porch Stapleton
wow, ok, I guess I won't hold my breath! lol! I wouldn't anyway, of course, just looking at how long Eastbridge has taken. For now, I'll just enjoy the open space and hope that eventually something good takes its place.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:22 AM

944 posts, read 1,254,120 times
I think the area will be revitalized and vibrant as one of the best places to live in Metro Denver. The light rail will be operational, and people will be kicking themselves why didn't we buy in Stapleton as opposed to Highlands Ranch.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:36 AM

898 posts, read 987,562 times
My only problem with Stapleton (disclaimer I bought in North Park Hill, right across Quebec) is that it's "manufactured charm". I don't know - it is a little creepy walking around and seeing houses that seemingly have been around for a long time but knowing they were built within the last 10 years.

I don't know - something about it makes it creepy - like it was designed by some creepy mastermind. Hard to point a finger at it but charm takes time to develop, you can't just build houses that "look older".

Personally - I would have preferred if they built all the houses to be time period appropriate - that modern look that you see on some of the townhomes ( and modern style SFHs ) - so that in 50 years when people want to buy houses from this current time period they will get houses that look like they were built in this period.

My opinion...

Last edited by ayoitzrimz; 03-30-2015 at 06:49 AM..

Old 03-30-2015, 08:06 AM

694 posts, read 1,789,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
My only problem with Stapleton (disclaimer I bought in North Park Hill, right across Quebec) is that it's "manufactured charm". I don't know - it is a little creepy walking around and seeing houses that seemingly have been around for a long time but knowing they were built within the last 10 years.

I don't know - something about it makes it creepy
In my neighborhood we call this "The Stepford Effect." I've been to many different new urbanist neighborhoods, including the oldest one (30 years old), Seaside, on the Florida panhandle. They all have this effect in my opinion, even with grown in landscaping like Seaside has. Architectural type doesn't seem to matter either as Prospect New Town in Longmont is heavily modern and still has this effect. I personally love these neighborhoods but can totally see their "creepy factor."

I'm not sure age will erase this effect either as every new urbanist neighborhood I know of has a very involved HOA and very specific--and enforced--architectural regulations in perpetuity. When I'm down in the old Denver neighborhoods new urbanism patterns after, you'll see a wide variety of homes in different states of repair. Beautifully restored or maintained homes next to ramshackle wrecks, this likely won't occur in new urbanist neighborhoods due to HOA control.

Funny article about this:

Why Is New Urbanism So Gosh Darn Creepy?

Old 03-30-2015, 08:31 AM

eh, people have different tastes. You can't expect an eventual 10,000 sets of homeowners (12,000? homes, can't remember the projection for final build out) to all want the same architectural style. It's not like every house on each block in Park Hill that was built at the same time have the same architectural style either. People build/buy what they like.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:45 AM

898 posts, read 987,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
eh, people have different tastes. You can't expect an eventual 10,000 sets of homeowners (12,000? homes, can't remember the projection for final build out) to all want the same architectural style. It's not like every house on each block in Park Hill that was built at the same time have the same architectural style either. People build/buy what they like.

Oh I remember, we termed it "Manufactured charm"

also, emm not true - each block in Park Hill is different. One block will have ranches over basements, another will have bungalows, while another will have tudors. Because the blocks were built out over a long time period they each reflect what was interesting at the time. But the idea was that it just developed over time like this, wasn't manufactured by some grand master planner. Now again, I know you can't build 12,000 houses that look exactly the same (you can, in HR they are doing it with success and Northglenn as well - also not my cup of tea at all) but you can build houses that are time period appropriate. Not manufacture mature trees and houses from different time periods.

Stapleton is beautiful, but creepy as heck, IMO, on a "The Truman Show" level.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:25 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,221,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
Oh I remember, we termed it "Manufactured charm"

also, emm not true - each block in Park Hill is different. One block will have ranches over basements, another will have bungalows, while another will have tudors. Because the blocks were built out over a long time period they each reflect what was interesting at the time. But the idea was that it just developed over time like this, wasn't manufactured by some grand master planner. Now again, I know you can't build 12,000 houses that look exactly the same (you can, in HR they are doing it with success and Northglenn as well - also not my cup of tea at all) but you can build houses that are time period appropriate. Not manufacture mature trees and houses from different time periods.

Stapleton is beautiful, but creepy as heck, IMO, on a "The Truman Show" level.
I've lived in Stapleton for 10 years, and I'm not creepy

I'm happy that they're finally going to build a grocery store in Eastbridge... and the new Punch Bowl Social sounds awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver