Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 09:57 AM

19 posts, read 62,114 times

Advertisements

I have used this site only a few times but find it very helpful and fun. Now that I an seriously entertaining the idea of relocating to the Denver area I thought it would be smart to drop a line to say "Hi". Of course I'll be reading posts from all those who are closer to a move than I am and/or currently in the process.

I have nothing bad to say about Albuquerque. I just have found it limiting in a very personal way. I am attracted to the idea of living in an area with some similarities to the Albuquerque metro but with a larger, broader population base.

The idea of trying to sell my home is daunting so I'm looking at this as a goal for say......end of 2012, beginning of 2013.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 10:17 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,875 times
You may very well find the Denver area a refreshing change. The climate is somewhat similar to ABQ (sunny and on the dry side), although Denver does get alot more snow in the winter and more frequent afternoon thunderstorms during the summer.

Denver is alot larger than Albuquerque so if you like a larger city feel, you'll probably like Denver. One nice thing about Denver is that it's only a 7 hour drive from ABQ, so it's easy to visit.

Life is an adventure. If Denver is calling your name, go for it. It's not like Albuquerque is going anywhere if you ever decide to move back.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:48 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Denver is a whole different animal than Albuquerque, culturally, not a bigger version of it. I'm sure you already know that though.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:53 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
What is your employment story? I would advise that you make sure you have a job in hand before you make the move. Also, the prices and cost of living in Denver is probably higher than Albuquerque, so you may want to go over your budget carefully and see where you will make changes if necessary.

Be smart and do it right, and you'll have an easy transition. Denver is a great city and I am confident that you'll enjoy living there. I hope that as you near the projected "move date" that things line up for you. Good luck!

Old 12-30-2011, 01:29 PM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times
I lived in the Denver and Colorado Springs area for over three decades. I have quite a few friends in New Mexico from Farmington to Roswell (Hagerman). Yes, like iknowftbll says, the employment picture is important. I live in western Colorado now, so I won't get too engrossed here on relocation.

I'll just comment on weather and one of my favorite subjects-the live music scene. One way to really know if this is the right move for you is for you to come up to the Mile High City around the middle of March to maybe early April. When storms come through there at that time of the year you can either have a storm which includes a combination of rain, sleet, snow, rain, hail, then snow again OR you can have a good old fashioned 12 to 14 inch snowstorm. The climate in central and southern New Mexico is different than Denver and the Front Range, though I know it can snow in Albuquerque in April, I experienced that as well. After a couple weeks of those storms, you'll know. Downtown Nola makes a good point on the thunderstorms, ironically that's the one thing I missed when I moved.

Stay at one of the extended stay motels in the metro area for a week at a time. Go to a mom and pop business like say, a restaurant. Get opinions from long time locals. If you're into the music scene, you might like Arvada as their Arvada Center of Arts and Humanities is a great place for concerts. You might like something smaller. though. The Swallow Hill Music Association gets some interesting folk people from time to time, I've been there a lot as well. It's in south Denver, actually Englewood. South Denver has some excellent neighborhoods. Then of course, there's Red Rocks.

Moving several hundred miles is a bigger task than one thinks. Think your decision through.

Good luck!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-30-2011 at 04:57 PM..

Old 12-30-2011, 01:55 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,999,886 times
You might not have to sell your house if you really want to move. I moved here from FL and waiting 20 years to sell the house wasn't going to stop me, so it's just rented out through an agency that takes care of everything.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:25 PM

19 posts, read 62,114 times
Default employment

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
What is your employment story? I would advise that you make sure you have a job in hand before you make the move. Also, the prices and cost of living in Denver is probably higher than Albuquerque, so you may want to go over your budget carefully and see where you will make changes if necessary.

Be smart and do it right, and you'll have an easy transition. Denver is a great city and I am confident that you'll enjoy living there. I hope that as you near the projected "move date" that things line up for you. Good luck!
------
Thanks, so many kind words already. My job situation is excellent. I prefer to keep some personal info private but I have the option of taking temp jobs in my field that includes furnished housing as part of the employment package. Some years back I accepted a position in a similar way to be near an ill relative. I made enough money to keep paying mortgage on my home in Albuquerque and live comfortably in the town where I was employed. That company calls me a couple times a year to see if I want to work for them again. I wouldn't want to take a dive on selling my home here but at least I feel secure that I could carry the mortgage until it did sell. Another advantage I would have is while working temp positions within my field in the Denver area I have the leisure to make a choice on a more permanent position.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:40 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
That is awesome for you, Lily. If you are confident with your employment situation, then it seems like you've answered the biggest and most troublesome part of the moving equation. Many discuss moving and then looking for a job. I wouldn't go through the hassle of moving if I didn't know for certain I had a job waiting for me on the other end!

At any rate, you are just a few hours away from Denver. It would be an easy weekend road trip for you to take a drive up and look around. You could start scouting out possible neighborhoods you'd like to consider.

The bottom line is that you are in the driver's seat, so all this can be done pressure free. Once again, good luck and if you have any questions, there is someone on this site who can answer them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver