U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 05:46 PM

18 posts, read 29,900 times

Advertisements

Thanks, in part, to the wonderful advice here, I will be a new resident in Sunnyside next week! I am fulfilling a longtime dream to live in Colorado, but am moving to a city by myself and am looking for a few opportunities to meet people and get to know my new neighborhood!

If you know the Sunnyside/ Highlands area and are willing to help a girl out, I would love to know y'alls favorite:

~ Neighborhood bar, or best happy hour (of course this is the first thing on my list!)
~ Grocery Store
~ Local Restaurant
~ Best Mexican (I have a feeling I may go into mexican food withdrawl soon after I arrive!...or at least Migas and breakfast taco withdrawls as those are my goto breakfast here in Austin!)
~ Public event or festival
~ Place to grab a cup of coffee
~ Bike Ride
~ Weekend road trip

Thanks much! So excited to get to know my new neighborhood and city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 08:05 PM

4,901 posts, read 9,665,859 times
Congrats on your move. I bought my house on Zuni Street in 1975 (and am sorry I don't own it any more).

I can't give you personal answers to your questions, but thought you might be interested in the group called Sunnyside United Neighbors. They have a website at Sunnyside United Neighbors, Inc.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:36 PM

14,028 posts, read 20,336,588 times
Default Sunnyside, the next Berkeley

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieEW View Post
I would love to know y'alls favorite:
~ Neighborhood bar, or best happy hour (of course this is the first thing on my list!)
~ Grocery Store
~ Local Restaurant
~ Best Mexican (I have a feeling I may go into mexican food withdrawl soon after I arrive!...or at least Migas and breakfast taco withdrawls as those are my goto breakfast here in Austin!)
~ Public event or festival
~ Place to grab a cup of coffee
~ Bike Ride
~ Weekend road trip
1. We don't use y'alls in Denver.
2. Bar -
a. Ernie's.
b. You should download the Happy Hours app to your iPhone.
3. Grocery store - Safeway at 44th and Lowell. Sunflower at 38th and Winona. King Soopers at 38th and Sheridan.
4. Restaurant - way too many.
a. Mexican - Paxia Alt Cocina
b. look on Yelp
c. not a restaurant - Pochitos Tortilla Factory at 44th and Tejon (great tamales)
5. Public event - none now, but they will appear
6. Coffee - Hash at 44th and Zuni
7. Bike Ride - BikeDenver.org Bicycle Maps of Denver
8. Road Trip - Buena Vista

Old 01-02-2012, 08:47 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,544,940 times
Welcome to North Denver. Sunnyside is up and coming neighborhood and will achieve more value in the future. This post is about the groceries in North Denver, again a term used Colloquially to denote the Northwest part of Denver. There is so much in North Denver that it is impossible to cover all your categories in one post—it would go on forever. So, I am just starting the responses with the main Groceries.

If you go down West 38th. West 38th is the main drag in North Denver and centrally defines the area. There is the Save-a-Lot under Leever's at Bryant, a small discount market. Going west, past Federal you will find Sunflower Market Your source for meal planning, printable coupons, savings and recipes. :: Sunflower Markets (http://www.sunflowermarkets.com/Default.aspx - broken link) at the Highland Garden Village at Tennyson. Highland Garden Village is the redevelopment of the old Elitch's Garden Amusement Park, which moved to the Platte Valley. Sunflower is an upscale market but has very reasonable values in produce.

Going further west you will find a King Soopers at Sheridan, just across the city border in Wheat Ridge. Safeway is found at 44th and Lowell. I like this as a smaller neighborhood Safeway, in a small quiet strip shopping center where you will find many walking to this store. There is a Safeway just down on Federal past Speer as 27th , busier and serves a larger Hispanic population.

There is Colorado Ranch Market at 48th and Pecos Colorado Ranch Market (http://www.coloradoranchmarket.com/ - broken link) is another economy store under the Leever's company.

I want to add one of my favorite little Italian Market on West 38th at Lipan that you may just miss--don't. It is called Carbone's The specialty is Italian Sausage. It does not have a website but this is review Carbone's Italian Sausage Deli makes nearly perfect sandwiches - Page 1 - Dining - Denver - Westword It has been there for about 40 years. I should at this point mention Chubby's restaurant, a North Denver tradition for years as it is right next to Carbone's. Both of these places are very small and have lines outside the doors.

Livecontent

Old 01-02-2012, 09:13 PM

There are so many good, old and new, restaurants in North Denver. It would be impossible to cover them all. North Denver is our original Italian area. It has over the years has changed to welcoming Hispanics. It is now changing again as welcoming new Immigrants and the Young Creative as they discovery the joys of the urban living in North Denver.

I would like in this post just mention some Italian Restaurants that have been around for years. The first one that to me is just an example of a simple Italian neighborhood restaurant is Patsy's
Welcome Inexpensive where you will find many locals. For more upscale you can visit Pagliacci's and cry with tears of joy over the food
Pagliacci's Italian Restaurant In Denver CO For a long established Pizzeria then look to Carl's at 38th and Newton.
I would not like to forget our own original "Denver Mob" hangout--Gaetano's Gaetano's Italian - Italian to die for. This is more of bar and restaurant where you can have a beer or a meal. You can see a shrine to Frank Sinatra.

Livecontent

Old 01-02-2012, 09:33 PM

Festivals in North Denver has traditionally Centered on the Italian Community and the Church. That tradition stays alive with Potenza Lodge, an Italian Fraternal Organization, as many Italian immigrants came from Basilicata, a region of Southern Italy with Potenza as the main City. Potenza Lodge They are known for a festival celebrating St. Rocco. There are numerous old Catholic Churches in North Denver with Italian Influence and some with strong Hispanic culture and if you find that of interest, they have the bazaars and lawn fetes. Keep in mind that living in Sunnyside puts you near Regis University http://www.regis.edu/ with its many cultural events that you can partake.

A big festival is indicative of the growing Asian Community in Denver is the Dragon Boat Festival Colorado Dragon Boat Festival | July 30-31, 2011 | Sloan's Lake Park, Denver

Highland Square at 32nd and Lowell http://www.highlandssquaredenver.com/ every year has a large street fair
http://www.highlandssquaredenver.com...Fair/index.htm

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 01-02-2012 at 09:45 PM..

Old 01-02-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. We don't use y'alls in Denver.
2. Bar -
a. Ernie's.
b. You should download the Happy Hours app to your iPhone.
3. Grocery store - Safeway at 44th and Lowell. Sunflower at 38th and Winona. King Soopers at 38th and Sheridan.
4. Restaurant - way too many.
a. Mexican - Paxia Alt Cocina
b. look on Yelp
c. not a restaurant - Pochitos Tortilla Factory at 44th and Tejon (great tamales)
5. Public event - none now, but they will appear
6. Coffee - Hash at 44th and Zuni
7. Bike Ride - BikeDenver.org Bicycle Maps of Denver
8. Road Trip - Buena Vista
Thanks for the great info! And, while I am going to try to get rid of some of the Austin in me...not saying (or even typing) "Y'all" may be the most difficult!

Old 01-02-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Festivals in North Denver has traditionally Centered on the Italian Community and the Church. That tradition stays alive with Potenza Lodge, an Italian Fraternal Organization, as many Italian immigrants came from Basilicata, a region of Southern Italy with Potenza as the main City. Potenza Lodge They are known for a festival celebrating St. Rocco. There are numerous old Catholic Churches in North Denver with Italian Influence and some with strong Hispanic culture and if you find that of interest, they have the bazaars and lawn fetes. Keep in mind that living in Sunnyside puts you near Regis University Regis University-Colorado college with campus-based and online programs with its many cultural events that you can partake.

A big festival is indicative of the growing Asian Community in Denver is the Dragon Boat Festival Colorado Dragon Boat Festival | July 30-31, 2011 | Sloan's Lake Park, Denver

Highland Square at 32nd and Lowell Highlands Merchant Association every year has a large street fair
Highlands Merchant Association

Livecontent
Excellent! Local festivals in the Spring and Summer are one of my favorite things...I think you really get to know a city, culture and your neighbors at them.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:56 PM

I want to bring your attention to a unique Bike Ride that occurs in Denver every year that is very close to Sunnyside--in Downtown Denver and through Cherry Creek. It is interesting because it is held at NIGHT and it is a blast. It is non competitive. It is sort of festival atmosphere with restaurants having promotions along the way.

When I was younger and able to ride a bike--I did this bike ride. Today, I am older and I have some physical limitations. This is a good event to meet people in a relaxed atmosphere and get to see Denver at night, from the seat of your bike.

Moonlight Classic

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 01-02-2012 at 10:16 PM..

Old 01-02-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I want to bring your attention to a unique Bike Ride that occurs in Denver every year that is very close to Sunnyside--in Downtown Denver and through Cherry Creek. It is interesting because it is held at NIGHT and it is a blast. It is non competitive. It is sort of festival atmosphere with restaurants having promotions along the way.

When I was younger and able to ride a bike--I did this bike ride. Today, I am older and I have some physical limitations. This is a good event to meet people in a relax atmosphere and get to see Denver at night, from the seat of your bike.

Moonlight Classic

Livecontent
Wow! This is awesome and right up my alley! I can not wait to be able to ride my bike in the Summer again...Exploring Denver on the bike is something I am really looking forward to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver