U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 10:15 PM

50 posts, read 101,528 times

Advertisements

I'm an engineer with about 10 years of experience. I followed my boyfriend up after his company transferred him. It took me about 5 months, and I started about a month after I took the job, so we were long-distance for six months. I had two or three phone screens and one in-person interview. I used both addresses (his in the Denver area and mine in Louisiana), saying the local address was my "Colorado residence" and the Louisiana address was my "mailing address." I was explicit in my cover letter that I was NOT seeking a relocation package because my significant other's company had paid for our move. I think that helped me get some interest I wouldn't otherwise have gotten. When I had my phone screen with the company I was most interested in, I mentioned that I had a trip to Denver already planned for later that week to visit my boyfriend, and asked if I could come by for a tour of the plant. That turned into an offer for an on-site interview. Since it's a SMALL company, I think they appreciated not having to fly me out for the interview and relocate me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 12:50 PM

12,259 posts, read 8,040,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Ways to get a job in Denver while living out of state:

1. Quit (or go on some kind of unpaid leave) your job and move here, then try to find a job.

2. If your skills are in very high demand and hard to find in your field, you may have headhunters coming after you

3. Know people in Denver in your industry who can help grease the wheels of the application process, or at least network with.

4. Try to find a job with a large company that has locations both in where you are now and in Denver, with the hope that down the road you may be able to transfer.

5. Become self employed or a telecommuter with a job that you can work from anywhere.

6. Pure dumb luck.

7. Put the dream on hold until years from now when the economy improves, or when you retire.

8. Find a crappy job with a company experiencing very high turnover (bluescreen's post below reminded me about this option)
#3 is how I got it. They knew me because we did business with them and then they heard through the grape vine that I wanted to move to Colorado. They came after me. The rest is history. Even got them to pay for my moving expenses.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:47 PM

2,618 posts, read 3,046,968 times
It was #4 for me. I had a job in a national store and asked for a transfer, but it took about a year and a half. Once the job was secure, I packed and left. We were prepared for my wife not to have ajob for awhile, but luckily they had a position for her (transfer as well) and she actually started a day before me!

Of course, where we left we had tons of family, so if things didn't work out, we could always go back home. But I realized that moving was the toughest thing, because it probably would have been easier just getting another job while I was up here if the transfer didn't work.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:53 PM

91 posts, read 109,677 times
It was super simple for my DH (he is a rocket engineer). He sent resumes to 3 companies in Denver and they all paid for him to come and interview with them. He took his current job and the process was about 2 months for him. I guess it depends on your line of work.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:24 AM

8 posts, read 29,043 times
Default Moved a week ago

I was looking for jobs for years. My job search kept getting broken up though due to a variety of events, so it wasn't constant searching. I applied for about 20 times as many jobs as I got responses from. I ended up with a couple of phone interviews. The company that I accepted an offer from flew me out right away for an interview. I also had another offer from a company that started with a phone interview and then flew me out for an informal meeting after they liked what I had to say in the phone interview. I think the main reason it took me so long was that I just graduated college 5 years ago. When I first started looking I barely had 2 years of experience. Once I got a solid 4 years of experience, that is when people finally started contacting me. I think the big thing is to just apply to as many places as possible. Also if you can research companies that are in the same industry you are in now, that could help as well. The two companies I got offers from were similar to the company that I left in Wisconsin.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:44 AM

245 posts, read 617,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger_gal29 View Post
... to the company that I left in Wisconsin.
Badger_Gal: WI -> CO. How has been your experience so far ? Miss anything from Wisconsin ?

I am in a similar situation and will be relocating end of next month. Finding a decent housing/rental place from here looks to be the most challenging. I don't want to end up there without something finalized either !!

For me, a couple of phone interviews followed by a face to face interview (company paid for the trip) and a got a positive response a few weeks later.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:53 AM

8 posts, read 29,043 times
Haha! Well I've only been here a week, so it's hard to say I miss anything so far... I've been told I will miss the batterfried cheese curds, but withdrawl has not set in yet! I'm liking everything so far. Especially the weather! It changes so quickly here. You might have a cold and snowy day, but then the next day could be 60 degress. Sure beats the long stretches of sub-zero temps we get in WI! The one thing I know I will miss will be being able to go to Packers or Badgers sporting events whenever I want. Also being able to drive to Chicago for a weekend to visit my best friend will also be missed. But I knew I was going to miss that when I made this decision.

I was lucky in the fact that the company that hired me flew me out for a 5 day house-hunting trip. It is REALLY hard to judge stuff from just looking online. I made a lot of appointments I thought were promising and was EXTREMELY disappointed once I toured the place. I could give you a lot of advice on this if you really want... neighborhoods I looked at, pricing, etc. Is there a direct messaging option on this forum? (I'm pretty new to this) If there is, just shoot me a message if you want more info. Best of luck to you!

Old 01-27-2012, 02:43 PM

151 posts, read 282,237 times
My field is different than any other job field (Law Enforcement), so regardless where I go it takes months to get hired... When I was in NY in March of 11 I applied for a contract position at a police department here in colorado. Luckily, it was more a civilian position that didnt have all the strenuous testing phases. I was contacted in May of 11 after doing a phone interview and was told that I would have to come out to Colorado and take my polygraph.. That was the last phase in being hired... Well I just took a gamble, knew I would pass the polygraph and drove out here. Passed the Poly and was offered a position 3 days later.

I then applied for a full time position at a dif agency in Colorado in July of 11. I was just hired by that department and start for them Feb 12.

I worked for my previous law enforcement agency from May 11-November 11. After that I was laid off due to the contract being up. I was hired by a friend as a sales rep and then was offered a restaurant position which I did from November 11-Now. So I had 0 time where I was unemployed.

Just to put this into a bigger picture. I graduated college from Upstate NY December of 09 and was unable to land a single law enforcment position up there from that time all the way up until the day I moved to Colorado in May of 11. I was actually just contacted by one of the jails in NY and they were going to offer me a position so that time lapse was 25 months for a part time position...

It took me 8 months to land a full time position here in Colorado and that is only because the testing process for Law Enforcement averages at around 6 months.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:34 AM

172 posts, read 417,496 times
I got lucky and a local company sought me out. My first choice was to stay in Texas but it didn't hurt looking elsewhere. I had a telephone interview and the next week they flew me in and met everyone. We hit it off pretty good and a few days later they sent me an offer that I couldn't turned down and I just packed up my car and drove to Denver. It all happened within 2-3 weeks. I've been working here 1 month now and I couldn't be any happier. I love it here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or