Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 01:44 AM

22 posts, read 36,520 times

Advertisements

Okay.. this is the LAST stop on the Forum for me! I've asked 3 other cities and people, and.. it still doesn't feel right. I've lived in UpState NY my entire life, and it's time for a change. My original 2 cities were Austin, TX & Denver. Austin seems beautiful, and promising.. but according to everybody, especially the locals, the summer-time heat is UNBEARABLE. And they've experienced droughts the last few years. I dislike the cold, and the snow.. but it is all I know; I'm afraid I may not be able to adjust to that extreme heat..

My wanting to leave is health-related, partly; I battle with terrible sinus/allergy issues constantly, how is Denver and Colorado for that sort of thing? Also, how are your winters? I hear more mild than ours, with more sunshine, higher temps, and less snow?

Also.. I know you're at a high altitude, what does that do to you? I mean, how would that affect somebody like me who's never experienced it? Does it make you feel light-headed, is it hard to get use to? Denver seems beautiful, I love the mountain view, and it may be the place for me..

2 last parts - how expensive are apartments (rent)? I'm looking for a cheap studio apt.; that's it, that's all I need. & Is Denver realtively safe? How's crime/people there?

Thank you in advance to anybody that helps! (Also, FYI, I checked the Forum and didn't see anything pertaining to my particular questions!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 07:41 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Check out this recent thread, includes discussion about allergies:

Finally Made the Decision to Move to Denver

There are some other threads as well on the Denver and CO forums that discuss allergies.

It all depends on what you're allergic too. I have problems here every year from May-early July. The only place I've lived where I had no problems with L.A. It's also possible you could beat the allergies for one season but then develop new allergies later. If that's one of the main reasons you are considering moving, I would consult an allergist first and get tested and a professional medical opinion, before uprooting your life and spending $$$$'s.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:56 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Let's start with Winter

As someone:
who parents were born in Syracuse and who visited his grandparents often,
who lived in Saratoga Springs for 4 years,
who went to college in Troy.

The winters in Denver are pleasant and mild.
Does it snow. Yes, it does.
Does it stick around as gray ice and slush for months. No, it does not.

You will not notice the altitude at 5280 feet.
When you go to the mountain towns which range from 9000-11000 feet, then you may (or may not) notice the altitude.
When you climb your first 14-teener, you will notice.

One downside of the drier climate is that your nose produces more snot. Bloody noses (at random times) are more common.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:56 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
I have very specific experience to answer your question. I grew up near Buffalo. I was stationed in the Army in Texas. After College and other work experiences on the East Coast and Europe, I went to Texas to work. Eventually, I moved from Texas to Colorado 33 years ago.

The heat is Texas can be unbearable to some, and not unbearable to others, and it was not for me. Remember Texas is a large State and some areas are drier and hotter and some areas are humid and hot. It is different than WNY as all areas will be, but it is acceptable and can be considered pleasant in many ways, especially when comparing it to a December in Buffalo. I have been all over Texas. In the Army, I was in West Texas in San Angelo and at Fort Hood in Central Texas. I worked and lived in Dallas/Fort Worth. Austin is considered one the best cities in Texas and I agree.

Denver has much less snow than WNY but it does have some comparable blizzards but melts faster withe the more abundant sun. Two days ago we had snow and it was cold; today it will be in the fifties and the snow is mostly melted. It is a semi-arid area, so it is warmer in winter and hotter in summer with much less humidity. The less humidity makes the cold and heat feel less. Yet, less humidity comes from less precipitation and very few natural water bodies which means a land of less lush green growth. Denver is situated on the Great Semi-Arid High Plains, not in the mountains. That you must know and accept.

From my experience and talking to others, allergies are a personal issue; what is good for some is bad for others. Also, since I am now a Senior Citizen, allergies will change over time, some will get worse and some will disappear as your body adapts, changes and as you age. Also high altitude in Denver, again, affects each person in a different way and you also have to take time to acclimate and see.

There are apartments, everywhere, for every budget. That is not the main issue. If you decide to move, you will find what you need.

Colorado and Texas can have much less crime than parts of WNY or it can have more. There are small towns and some cities, in WNY, that are some of the safest places to live in the US. It depends on what you are comparing. Denver is much cleaner, more modern, and progressive than Buffalo and is relatively safe. Denver has less racial tensions than the City of Buffalo, from my experiences. However, Crime happens everywhere.

I need to be blunt as I get the the strong impression from your post that you are too careful and want all the answers to be perfect before you move. Well, nothing is going to be perfect. All areas are going to have some aspects that appeal to you and some will others that do not. Some characteristics will be better than WNY but some will be worse depending on your prospective.

Texas is of the Southwest, the West, and the South. Colorado is also considered, in some parts and aspects, of of the Southwest; it is also of the Mountains and the West. These States have a different topography and weather and vary much over the large expanses of these States. You cannot say it is worse or better than WNY, it is different. Colorado and Texas have a significant Hispanic population, with its cultures and traditions, and I like the Hispanic Culture. If you cannot accept this Hispanic influence in these States; if you constantly compare the weather and topography as negative to WNY; and cannot see the beauty of the differences, then you will be unhappy in these States.

If you really want to know any area, then you must visit and find out for yourself. Also, it takes time to learn if an area suites your needs, so you have to move, and live, and see. If you want to know more than cold and snow as you say, then leave the comfort and familiarity of your surroundings--and have less fear of that which will at times be uncomfortable and unfamiliar. If you do not like what you see, you can always go back.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 01-14-2012 at 08:26 AM..

Old 01-14-2012, 04:44 PM

Thank you very much everybody for your replies, and thank you very much Livecontent for all of your information, I really appreciate the point of view from another WNY'er, sir.

Your words ring very very true; and you're right in your guess, I am kind of a perfectionist, and I think I am being a bit unreasonable to think everything will fall into place just so. I am going to teach myself to accept that some things are just out of my control, and if I want something bad enough, I should take the intiative to go for them, if it is so that the negatives don't greatly outweight the positives.

Every single city in every single state will be different; different people different weather etc., and you're right on that one, I suppose I need to look at it from my own personal stand point and gain my own opinions of it, in person.

From the information I've gained, though, I believe Denver sounds like a beautiful city, a really great place to be. I plan to take time out to visit both Austin, and Denver in the future. I only know so much from behind a computer screen, it's time to get out there and live it myself.

Thank you again, I appreciate it, everybody.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:53 AM

30 posts, read 74,394 times
Having lived in both, I love both cities. But for your allergy condition, Austin may not make life enjoyable. Austin is known for its ceder fever. Luckily I have no allergies so living in Austin did not bother me. My friends who had allergies complained a lot about the spring and fall in Austin and Dallas and were always taking their meds. I knew one girl from Cali who couldn't take it after 2 years and left.

It is hot and humid there, but you'll likely get used to it. I remember one summer day it was 105 and humid in LA and my co-workers complained when we went out for lunch. I said it felt good and they thought I was crazy. The unnaturally hot (and dry) days in Denver don't bother me either.

Traffic - depends where you live, but most likely Austin traffic will suck worse than Denver. Austin grew fast and its road system was not designed to handle it. They have developed toll roads around the city similar to the 470 system in Denver, but it's not used much. MoPac, 183 and 35 in Austin is like California slow during rush hour. I take I-25 during rush hour in Denver and it is much faster than either MoPac or 35 in Austin, or any Cali highway during rush hour.

People - I think Austin is friendlier. Make a good friend in Austin and you'll be good friends with their friends without question and so on. It just snowballs from there. Denver is more reserved. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Generally, apartment prices in Denver will be more expensive than Austin. Some apartments in Denver are approaching Cali apartment prices and that bugs me. I heard that Denver is at 97% apartment capacity (of course that came from a couple leasing agents).

My dad is from upstate New York, and my parents decided to retire in Colorado.

good luck with your decision! Check out both places, ask people there and see how you like it.

(Restaurants are generally better in Austin than Denver if that is a factor. Colorado wins in beer choices though!)

Old 01-15-2012, 09:07 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Data are your friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartaz View Post
I heard that Denver is at 97% apartment capacity (of course that came from a couple leasing agents).
Not 97%, but close.

"renal condos, single-family homes, and other small properties
Denver, 3.0 percent"
Denver home vacancy rates rise slightly | Inside Real Estate News

"The vacancy rate for metro Denver area apartments dropped to 4.8 percent in the second quarter — its lowest level in more than 10 years"
Denver-area apartment vacancies at 10-year low - Denver Business Journal

"The third-quarter Denver Metro Apartment Vacancy and Rent Survey shows the area’s vacancy rate was 4.9 percent"
Rents rise, vacancies stay low for Denver-area apartments - Denver Business Journal

Old 01-15-2012, 01:40 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist7991 View Post
My wanting to leave is health-related, partly; I battle with terrible sinus/allergy issues constantly
Allergies are totally a personal thing. Different people are affected differently. I haven't had any issue here in Northern California, but I know a couple people who do.

Actually the only time I can recall having allergy/sinus problems was when I lived in Austin, TX. But you could move there and find yourself allergy-free.

Quote:
Also.. I know you're at a high altitude, what does that do to you? I mean, how would that affect somebody like me who's never experienced it?
It only affects people who are predisposed to it and you won't know until you spend time at that altitude. I can say most people are not affected chronically by high altitude so statistically it's highly likely you won't be. Some people (not all) require an adjustment period of a few days when they first get there. During this time they might feel a little lightheaded or short of breath.

If you have a chronic heart condition or low oxygenation in your blood or something like that, then there's a much higher chance of being more seriously affected (and for longer).

Quote:
Is Denver realtively safe? How's crime/people there?
Yes, most of the areas are safe and for a city of it's size it's got fairly low crime even in the worst areas.

Making a generalization I would say Denver people are somewhat aloof/reserved. You'll most likely find them polite but cautious about making new acquaintances. It's not the kind of place where you easily strike up comfortable, relaxed friendships. It's going to require effort, but once you do you'll have a circle of friends you can do things with.

Last edited by 80skeys; 01-15-2012 at 01:57 PM..

Old 01-15-2012, 05:21 PM

Thank you everybody for the replies! I really appreciate it!

It's deff between Austin and Denver for me, and I'm weighing both..

Can anybody suggest a cheaper alternative to living in the city? I understand why the city itself would be so expensive, but, outside of the city are there cheaper suburbs where I could rent a cheaper apartment? And if so, what's the closest ones?

And how is the job market (in Denver, and in the towns around Denver) for somebody like myself.. I dropped out of HS, got my GED, and I don't have any college background, unfortunately.. I wish I could lie and say I did, but, sadly I've made some wrong turns in life.. and I don't really have the money (at this point) for schooling.. so I'm the kind of person who just wants a basic, or above job (like a retail/grocery market) to pay the bills..

Thanks again in advance!!

Old 01-16-2012, 03:30 AM

37 posts, read 59,984 times
when looking at apartment prices in Denver, consider that utilities (gas/electricity) could be 50-70% LOWER than in upstate NY. Reasons: 1) the price is much lower per kWh, 2) you will use less heat in the winter, 3) less a/c in the summer and 4) there is simply more sun in Denver year round. Also gasoline in consistently about 30-35c cheaper per gallon in Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver