Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2012, 10:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,719 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody. I have lived in southern California my whole life ( I am 42) and my husband and I have always talked about moving away. The hardest part will be leaving my family but my husband has been offered a job in lone tree and our daughter is graduating high school so we are thinking it might be the right time. I have a son in 4th grade so family friendly neighborhoods and good schools are still important. We will probably rent for the first year since I have never lived out of California. We would prefer a 3 bedroom home but would consider a town home or condo if they allowed pets. We have a Labrador so she isn't a "small pet" we would like to pay less than $2,000 a month rent but may be willing to pay more if it is the perfect place. Also if anybody has any info on good MMA gyms for kids in the area that would be great too. Thanks in advance for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 09:15 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Expanding circles

1. Your rental budget is plenty.

2. Use Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments and start with the work location as the center of your search circle. Use the expanded search filters as there is one for dogs.

3. Schools are covered at Colorado School Grades

4. Find MMA Gyms - USA | Search Gyms

5. Welcome to Colorado Net in-migration to Colorado from other states growing - The Denver Post

Old 01-15-2012, 01:28 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Since you're going to be in Lone Tree the obvious place to check is Highlands Ranch. Think of it like a huge Mission Viejo(same builder). And you have more than enough for rent(much more). Last I looked you could rent a starter house in HR for ~$1500

Old 04-06-2012, 10:11 PM

76 posts, read 244,216 times
Your story sounds like ours...6 years ago we moved to Parker, CO. Thank God we were able to come back home, August of 2011, to be with our family and friends. I have never been more grateful to be back home...and every day we are back home I wonder what in the world we were thinking!!!

Old 04-07-2012, 11:20 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parker View Post
Your story sounds like ours...6 years ago we moved to Parker, CO. Thank God we were able to come back home, August of 2011, to be with our family and friends. I have never been more grateful to be back home...and every day we are back home I wonder what in the world we were thinking!!!
Where did you move back to and why was Parker so bad? I moved here San Diego 13 years ago and it has been great for me.

To the op, Highlands Ranch, Parker or even Lone Tree would be great places to look first since your husband will be working in Lone Tree. Douglas County schools are good for the most part.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:34 PM

76 posts, read 244,216 times
Lived in The Timbers and in Pradera. Worked for Douglas County School for a few years and saw the inter-workings of the schools and we were sorely disappointed with our children's education. As I have seen the trend continuously...California students come to Colorado one year ahead and Colorado students come back to California one year behind. I can attest to this as both of our children, in 2nd and 4th grade, came back to California one year behind in all areas of the curriculum.

Besides our disappontment with the education system, we also became incredibly disappointed with the lack of the neighborhood feeling and not knowing who lived across the street, much less next door. We personally found Parker to be a very uptight area...could be that we are used to the beach attitude and the friendliness of those in the beach community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver