U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 06:32 PM

129 posts, read 182,822 times

Advertisements

I have been stunned, frustrated, stressed & mainly perplexed at what, to me, is about the worst street & highway system of any city I have ever lived in. Driving in this town is like a free-for-all, Mad Max type, harrowing experience. You can't see the lines between the lanes, many main streets & even I-25 is poorly or unlit at night, yet lanes are constantly shifting & swerving, which has to be a constant factor in the number of gridlock-causing accidents. I have never owned a GPS before, don't like using it, but without it, I would never find where I'm going, due to someone's insane idea to place street signs on the back end of every intersection, off to the right, about six inches high, and most absurd, UNLIT AT NIGHT!!

Now, how is anyone supposed to navigate the streets of Denver, with no advance mention of upcoming intersections, street signs barely visible during daytime, and invisible at night?

Is everyone content with this? Are the huge numbers of accidents, especially during rush hour, something you feel is unavoidable, & you're willing to have city-wide gridlock all the way to work & back? I know it can't be all that expensive to at least put some fresh paint on streets & highways, and while moving street signs to more visible spots, & larger in size, and illuminating them at night might be a bit more costly, do you honestly believe it wouldn't help traffic flow?

I know the residents of Denver are intelligent people, yet I cannot understand, for the life of me, how you all put up with this mess. I was in Atlanta a couple months ago, and the lanes on their freeways look like runways at an airport, bright, reflective, & a six-year old could stay within the lines. Plus, intersections have large signs, hanging over the middle, at the front end, are lit at night, and often a sign beforehand telling you what street you're approaching. Surely Atlanta, and Georgia are not revenue-rich places, have higher unemployment, etc, but Denver's streets remind me at times of Third World quality infrastructure. What's up people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 07:21 PM

39 posts, read 55,003 times
You need to harden the @%@#$@# up.

Have you ever driven in a third world country? I doubt it since you compared Denver's streets to one. Trust me...downtown Denver is a dream compared to that.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:48 PM

208 posts, read 355,709 times
Atlanta is one of the biggest rail and road distribution regions in the country with fortune 500 companies like UPS and stuff located there. The state also has twice the population of Colorado, so they have more money. It's unrealistic to compare Atlanta to Denver. Although I also hate the 1 street sign/intersection rule here, understand that in in-town Atlanta 90% of all street lights are hanging on ugly wires and there are much more potholes there than here.

Drivers there also don't have muddy tires and they get more rain to wash off the roads.

I get mad like you sometimes also. I suggest reducing caffeine intake and ginger seems to help with relaxation.

cheers

Old 01-21-2012, 08:12 PM

1,893 posts, read 3,525,686 times
I personally think that the Denver metro area is very easy to navigate. Try going to some older northeast cities - Boston for example - there isn't a straight road to be found.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:32 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,895,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxnFlutman View Post
Now, how is anyone supposed to navigate the streets of Denver, with no advance mention of upcoming intersections, street signs barely visible during daytime, and invisible at night?
GPS maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxnFlutman View Post
I have never owned a GPS before, don't like using it, but without it, I would never find where I'm going,
There is your problem. This is the 21 century. I would not be surprised to see street signs become a thing of the past, in the near future.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:00 PM

39 posts, read 55,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
GPS maybe?

There is your problem. This is the 21 century. I would not be surprised to see street signs become a thing of the past, in the near future.
I have found that the GPS helps my situational awareness. It is much safer to reference it than a fold out map or google on my phone.

Of course it is important to remember the GPS is a supplement to reality

Old 01-21-2012, 09:59 PM

9,224 posts, read 15,952,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
I personally think that the Denver metro area is very easy to navigate. Try going to some older northeast cities - Boston for example - there isn't a straight road to be found.
Or even San Francisco.

Denver is crazy simple to navigate, it's basically a Diagnoal Grid downtown and a North South Grid everywhere else.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:50 AM

6,569 posts, read 10,299,032 times
You do realize that state and local transportation departments here spend considerable sums of money keeping roads passable when it snows, right? Last time I checked Atlanta, and most of Georgia, doesn't have to deal with large winter snowstorms on a regular basis.

They have the luxury of being able to put raised reflectors on their streets and freeways, too. We can't do that here because they'd be destroyed by snowplows every winter, and they are NOT cheap to replace.

If you think rush hour gridlock is endemic to Denver, I suggest a trip from Frisco, TX, to Downtown Dallas on the Dallas North Tollway at 8am on a weekday. It's about 25 miles and it'll take you 40 minutes to an hour on a good day.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:34 AM

2,181 posts, read 5,642,533 times
I haven't had a problem with driving here. The entire metro area is basically a huge grid, except for a few streets that don't follow the grid (like Parker Rd or Morrison Rd). I've noticed that sometimes it's hard to see the lines at night on I-25, but other than that, I haven't had nearly the amount of trouble that you seem to be having.

I grew up in the northeast and many of the roads in my hometown had no lines, or, were poorly marked, and did not follow a grid.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:41 AM

5,608 posts, read 20,736,678 times
The problem you're talking about with I-25 is the construction going on around the Alameda/ Santa Fe interchange. Plus now I think they're doing additional construction on I-25 near downtown. It's annoying, but it's a temporary problem. Temporary lasting up to several years, that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or