Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 04:10 PM

30 posts, read 161,351 times

Advertisements

Hello!
We are moving to Denver in the beginning of May. I'd like to get plane tickets soon, and was wondering if anyone here has info regarding the best time to look for a rental home. Would I be better off showing up during the last week of March? First week of April? Another time?

In case it matters, I'm looking for a 3-4 bed house in Lakewood, Green Mountain or Golden. We also have a dog.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 05:03 PM

232 posts, read 804,752 times
If you are renting private, hard to say. But if you are renting from leasing agent, I think tenants have to give 30 days notice if they move out. So searching 29 days before moving date would probably give you best dibs. I went apartment hunting about 20 days before my move in date, and had no trouble finding vacancies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAsABirdNow View Post
Hello!
We are moving to Denver in the beginning of May. I'd like to get plane tickets soon, and was wondering if anyone here has info regarding the best time to look for a rental home. Would I be better off showing up during the last week of March? First week of April? Another time?

In case it matters, I'm looking for a 3-4 bed house in Lakewood, Green Mountain or Golden. We also have a dog.

Thanks so much!

Old 01-23-2012, 05:32 PM

309 posts, read 811,695 times
I am looking online currently for rentals as my company is relocating us at the end of Feb/early March. The vast majority of the properties I am seeing advertised are available immediately, a few within the next 2-3 weeks and only the odd one or two advertised as being available more than 3-4 weeks time. If it is an apartment/townhome with one of the big property management companies like Equity then I have found that their own websites (as opposed to places like padmapper.com) often show availability of units further into the future (1-2 months).

Old 01-23-2012, 07:37 PM

152 posts, read 323,482 times
it didn't take us long at all... really just days. But this is in Castle Rock and we are paying above average I would say (but this is a 6 months lease)

Old 01-23-2012, 07:52 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Time to change your moniker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca-ut-?? View Post
is in Castle Rock and we are paying above average
So, Annie, time to change to "ca-ut-co".

Old 01-23-2012, 11:15 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Typically people will give a 30 day notice before their lease is up if they're going to move out. So you're only wasting your time if you show up earlier than 3-4 weeks before your move in date. This is an extremely tight rental market, and vacancies in any halfway desirable area are filled very fast. As soon as you find something you like grab it immediately and put a deposit down, don't hesitate or it will be gone. If you're somewhat flexible and can spend a few days in a hotel while you look, I'd actually recommend you just show up and find a place to live with immediate move in available. Then there's no second guessing what the place will really look like, you don't have to see the current tenants living there with their smelly food and kids and pets running around, etc.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:22 AM

152 posts, read 323,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
So, Annie, time to change to "ca-ut-co".
you never told me how lol do i have to create a brand new account ?

Old 01-25-2012, 11:22 AM

30 posts, read 161,351 times
Thank you for all the feedback!
I'm leaning toward the first week of April for now. Worst case scenario, we can always move and then find a place once we get there. Not ideal, but no big issue, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver