U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-04-2012, 12:12 PM

13 posts, read 11,349 times

Advertisements

We are a small family leaving FL tired of the heat and long drives. I will be transfering to job at DIA at the beginning of April. We've been searching here and there for apartments but finally got the final approval for job transfer. First off we trying to find either apartment/condo/townhome in a good area within reasonable distance to DIA. Prefer less than 30 min commutein case of bad weather to limit travel as I need to repot regardless of weather condition even in emergency situations. In a perfect world it would be close to playground or park as we have a 2 1/2 year old who will need some stretching. Our goal is to find something less than $800 if that will help to distinguish some areas from others based on cost. Also what do the heating costs look like over there should I be expecting to spend $500 on a heating during the colder months I know it will vary but a ballpark based off an aprtment would be helpful if have info. Not too concerned with schools as son is few years off from then.

Aside from housing I'm also curious to know about other living expenses food inparticular. Are groceries on the more expensive and how convenient are grocery stores. Over here they are everywhere so you don't have to drive too far before you get to one. Is there a walmart over there or something of that nature for misc items.

Is it common for power to be out during winter time? Carwise smarter to invest in an suv or 4wd car? Are things far from each other or at least seem that way ie other cities colorado springs stores schools etc. We coming from fl where everything is 30 min away unless your next to it. Registering cars and getting a new license is it expensive to do this because the info on the website of CO DMV is very confusing for me

Trying to take quick trip next month to check out the area view some places if you can recommend also some areas particular to check out would also be helpful.

Sorry if post is all over the place but its all the questions I can think of now. Thaks for all help you can provide even if its been said a million times but I know times change and so do areas so current views and opinions are of more value to us than a few years ago. I'm constantly reading new posts on. Info for transplants these are just my questions. Also if you wouldn't mind me pming secondary questions let me know as I know new questions are bound to arise if you don't mind helping a stranger make the the move as knowledgeable as possible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 12:26 PM

307 posts, read 286,081 times
Consensus from past posts have recommended South Aurora or Stapleton as good locations. I'd recommend Stapleton since you don't need to worry about schools and also won't have to drive on 470 (toll road) Stapleton has a wide variety of housing, plenty of parks, and easy access to downtown too.

However $800 will not get you a nice apartment. Think $1,100-$1,500 for a decent two bedroom. But $500 is overestimating your energy costs. Some apartments include electricity. I live in an older home downtown and my highest bill has only been around $250 in the winter.

You don't need a special car, just good tires for snow.

Groceries are plentiful from Wal-Marts, Safeway and King Soopers (Kroger) and neighborhood farmers markets.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:53 PM

103 posts, read 124,427 times
Brighton might be another option for you and you may find something a little closer to your price range for apartments. Good Luck!

Old 02-05-2012, 02:38 PM

2,755 posts, read 8,695,770 times
$800 apartments for a family are going to be hard to swing in Denver, at least if you want to live in a nice neighborhood.

The neighborhoods right around DIA are not all that good, especially with kids and schools. Stapleton is a big exception to this rule, but there's no way that you can live there with your budget. Aurora is a good, affordable option once you get to the southern part of the city (around Hampden or further south), but that's a long drive on one of the country's most expensive toll roads (E-470) or on a crowded I-225/I-70.

The newer parts of Commerce City like Reunion are relatively affordable, and good schools provided that you're in the Brighton school District. These are also very close to DIA, but not very close to anything else.

Heating costs are not going to be very high in an apartment. I'd be surprised if you ever spend more than $100.00/month on heat in an apartment.

There are many wal-marts here as well as many chain stores, though it depends on exactly where you live. Groceries are not noticably more expensive than anywhere else, from what I have noticed. Denver suburbs are spread out like anywhere else, but the fact that subdivisions are usually packed in relatively tightly means that services are usually not TOO far away from anywhere else in the suburbs.

4WD or AWD cars are helpful for snow but not mandatory -- subarus are like a religion here and perform well in snow. Coming from Florida you're better off IMHO learning how to drive in snow on a 2WD than buying a 4WD expecting that you won't then have to worry about snow. You definitely want to ditch any rear-wheel-drive cars before you come up here as those perform very poorly on snow.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:49 AM

Thanks for all advice guys I appreciate it trying to gather up as much info as possible as me and thewife visit end of February so want to try and square off an apt while we are there to move april 1st.

One follow up question I do have is Aurora what sections areas are good to live in and what part is best to stay away from lack of better words. I've seen up and dwns about it but nothing solid as to what areas are actually good to live in thanks!

Old 02-20-2012, 08:36 PM

3 posts, read 7,129 times
making the move is big. I too am getting ready to move from florida to denver. I was there for 3 months last summer. wow, it was great not dealing with the humidity. look on craigs list too, for housing. you wil be surprised what you find. My uncle lives in downtown denver, I stayed with him. He told me to stay away from aurora. cherry creek is nice too. I believe the light rail will be up and running and is suppost to be going to DIA. I am also trying to figure out the DMV. from what I can tell, the utilities are cheap. when I was there we only ran the air a few times, just fans. let me know if you find out anything on DMV and I will do the same

Old 02-20-2012, 11:44 PM

30 posts, read 30,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesjonespamela View Post
making the move is big. I too am getting ready to move from florida to denver. I was there for 3 months last summer. wow, it was great not dealing with the humidity. look on craigs list too, for housing. you wil be surprised what you find. My uncle lives in downtown denver, I stayed with him. He told me to stay away from aurora. cherry creek is nice too. I believe the light rail will be up and running and is suppost to be going to DIA. I am also trying to figure out the DMV. from what I can tell, the utilities are cheap. when I was there we only ran the air a few times, just fans. let me know if you find out anything on DMV and I will do the same
Crime in Denver is higher and more violent than Aurora.
Denver
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Aurora
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-29-2012 at 07:01 AM..

Old 02-27-2012, 03:49 AM

Jonesjonespamela being you moving from florida how did the summer in co compare to fl is it significantly nicer weather overall? I'm tryiing to get the jist of what summertime feels like in co is it way hot just without the humidity or is it 80-90 without the humidity

Old 02-27-2012, 05:10 PM

2,755 posts, read 8,695,770 times
To answer your question Aurora generally is better the further south you go. The boundary between the Cherry Creek School district and the Aurora Public Schools is probably a good guideline. (Cherry Creek being a much better school district).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver