Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 05:42 PM

25 posts, read 140,019 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are a family of 4 living in Huntington Beach, CA and my husband has taken a job in Broomfield. He is in CO now, 4 nights of the week and home here for 3 nights. We are struggling with our decision to move, and wondering if anyone out there has some insight... we really like CO and have found some beautiful homes in the Broomfield-Superior area. But, we are struggling with making such a big move. All our family on both sides is here in H.B. His job in Broomfield is a great opportunity and so far, our kids seem really excited about the move (not withstanding little moments of nervousness). However, since making the decision to move, he and I have been really nervous. I have lost 7 lbs. in 2 weeks - and I don't lose weight normally. We know moving will improve our financial situation (housing in H.B. is ridiculous), but we don't know if we will miss the family and familiarity of our hometown. Anyone have any advice? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 07:01 PM

34 posts, read 122,301 times
Go and stay in Broomfield for a week. See the sights. If you're kids are young take them to the zoo and the Science and Nature Museum. Hang out at a local Starbucks. See some neighborhoods. I think you'll find it is a great place and not that much different from HB except for the lack of a beach and the present affordable housing. Family is just a plane ride away. Perhaps wait until Christmas break to move the kids.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Well, of course you will miss your family and the familiarity of your hometown. However, take it from one who has moved several times (I think 10) as an adult, it's also an adventure. Learning where the library, shopping areas, and other things of importance to you is fun! There will be things you like better about Broomfield, and things you like better about HB. It will always be that way.

Are the kids in school? School has already started out here, so it won't really matter when you settle permanently; they will be the new kids on the block. That can be a good thing. If they are too young for school, they will probably tolerate the move very well, since their lives revolve around Mom and Dad. You will be able to find an opening in a pre-school, trust me.

I think airfare to CA from here is fairly reasonable; just budget it in. You can plan at least 1-2 trips "home" per year.

When you get here permanently, set out some roots. Join a church, if that's your thing. You may get a visit from the Newcomer's Club. Take advantage of it. Volunteer at the library, the museum, etc. If your kids are in school, volunteer in their schools. Particularly if you wait till Christmas to move out permanently, some of the school volunteers will have resigned and they will be happy to have you.

These are some things that have worked for me in the past. Good Luck!

Old 09-04-2007, 07:50 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
For me, it's a no brainer...who's paying your bills...his job...or his/your family? That's it. Problem solved.

Moving is no big deal. Once you're here you'll never want to go back there, just like I don't want to go back east.

Fear not. Do it. You won't be sorry.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:56 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmountains View Post
Hi, we are a family of 4 living in Huntington Beach, CA and my husband has taken a job in Broomfield. He is in CO now, 4 nights of the week and home here for 3 nights. We are struggling with our decision to move, and wondering if anyone out there has some insight... we really like CO and have found some beautiful homes in the Broomfield-Superior area. But, we are struggling with making such a big move. All our family on both sides is here in H.B. His job in Broomfield is a great opportunity and so far, our kids seem really excited about the move (not withstanding little moments of nervousness). However, since making the decision to move, he and I have been really nervous. I have lost 7 lbs. in 2 weeks - and I don't lose weight normally. We know moving will improve our financial situation (housing in H.B. is ridiculous), but we don't know if we will miss the family and familiarity of our hometown. Anyone have any advice? Thank you!
I did it. Moved from awesome Thousand Oaks in June 06 to near Monument, CO - halfway between jobs in the Springs and Denver. Lived in SoCal 45 years. My parents are in Calabasas and my wife's parents are in Agoura Hills. Yes we feel guilty however the economic arguments for the move were overwhelming. We fly out the winter and spring breaks and summer each time for a week and we fly them out two or three times a year. Use Southwest Ding to get round trips (DEN - BUR) for around $200. Rent a minivan for around $250/week. We send digital photos at least once a week and call three of four times a week. It doesn't relieve the guilt but that's all we can do. You probably won't get over missing your folks.

I researched the move for a year. With the internet there is practically no such thing as lack of information. (I am amazed when I read posts from people regretting their move from City A to City B.) If you do enough research then you will most likely make a good practical decision. School data, weather/climate, politics, taxes, traffic patterns, land zoning, job locations, city planning, highway planning, fire, police, crime maps, utilities, demographics including income, race, religion, age, %owner occupied, child molester maps, parks, sports leagues, etc....all on the internet.

The familiarity thing is overcome in a matter of time, and again, with the internet, that time is minimal.

I'm not going to bash SoCal - It is a place for some people - but not us with four kids. I frequent the LA and OC forums too. Rarely, and I mean rarely, do I read a positive post from someone raising kids in LA. Slightly less rare for OC. If you are young, single, and employed then SoCal can be great. Add kids, commuting, schools and affordable housing and, well you know...

When looking for a place to live realize Denver is not SoCal. Commuting here is doable. In SoCal it is wise to live pretty darn close to where you work. Here you can consider living in a place that is maybe a 45 minute radius from several job locations, like Monument is between the Springs and Denver.

As you mentioned the housing price differences are incredible. It's nice having disposable cash for ballet lessons, horseback riding, soccer, swim and basketball leagues, gymnastics, summer camps, etc.

Life is too short.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:05 PM

Thank you all for the encouraging words. We just have a hard time because neither of us has ever moved far away, and we are used to the family support nearby. Having said that, we think we could make a very nice life in the Broomfield area, and in many ways it is very exciting. You're right, we could probably easily afford to travel back to HB several times a year. I can totally appreciate the idea that we will be able to afford ballet lessons, horseback riding lessons (my 6 year old is a horse NUT), travel as a family, etc. Living here with our mortgage makes those things extremely difficult.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:18 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,614,805 times
I can say from experience that the first move is the hardest. And that's from someone who moved constantly as a kid (dad was in the Marine Corps)! If your kids are excited about it, that's half the battle already won. The downside would be no more free babysitters, but it sounds like your kids are past the infant stage, so that might not be a big issue. I say go for it, you can always go back to family and HB if Colorado doesn't work out.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:31 AM

Yukon, it's true that we can always go back. We might rent our house out here, so at least it's still here for us.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:22 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
Forgive me for butting in here, but doesn't it seem like an incredible waste of time and money for your husband to be flying back and forth between CO and CA every single week? (assuming he's not a pilot). Just having to get from Broomfield to DIA every week must be a pain in the ***. That sounds like a nightmare to me. I'm no marriage counselor here, but wouldn't it be better if you just lived under the same house every night? Second, it's not really that big of a move. You're still in the USA! The culture of the Denver suburbs is very similar to OC. There are boatloads of Californians who have moved to Denver. You'll have some beautiful mountains nearby. It's not like you're moving to the deep South or something.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:56 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,921,996 times
Quote:
You're still in the USA! The culture of the Denver suburbs is very similar to OC. There are boatloads of Californians who have moved to Denver. You'll have some beautiful mountains nearby. It's not like you're moving to the deep South or something.
LOL So if you moved to the deep south you would be leaving the country? We lived in TX and there is some truth to this.
-Luvmountains- We also moved from SoCal over 3 years ago. We left family and friends, including 3 grown children. Separation from them has been hard, but we do alot of the things Charles suggested. Because we also have a younger child, now 7, we had to look at the school situation in San Marcos vs Monument. We also took advantage of a 'raging' real estate market(2004) in San Diego(house sold in a few hours!) and everything else kinda fell into place. I also had been commuting to Colorado Springs for a couple of years, so we were familiar with the area and the weather, a major point for folks from SoCal. I would suggest that you spend a lot time in Broomfield and the the surrounding areas before buying. Make the first move a well-informed one that you'll be happy with for a long time. If you're in a nice house in a neighborhood you feel your kids can play and be safe in, it'll go a long way to relieving the anxiety of moving to a new city.
-Warning- There are no In N Out's in CO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver