Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 11:33 AM

43 posts, read 325,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syonker View Post
Hello,

My wife and I currently have a contract in Back Country. We are mid 30's and have plans in the very near future for children. A lot of the people we've seen there look roughly the same; however, we definitely see the distribution curve skewed toward folks in their 40's and 50's driving "Lexi" and other forms of luxury autos (it's great to feel young again ). Why they gave you the cold shoulder is beyond me and frankly unacceptable for any sales organization. I will say that our experience has not been like that; however, they are also not "pushy" salespeople, so they will not seriously engage with you unless you make the first move. I guess they don't want to come off too intimidating.

The homes range from the high 400s to customs starting in the $2 million range (not even blocked out yet). The lots are small, but 90% of them back to open space. All of the "open space" is thoroughly xeriscaped and irrigated using their own watershed (they capture the water, recirculate it and use surplus to water the xeriscape areas).

You are correct - there is a $250 additional fee for the community over and above the HRCA fees. Here is why we think it's worth it. The "rec center" is within this gated community is called the "sundial house" and is actually a building-sized working sundial. The pool is a resort-style pool and will have a "beach" walk-in area (I think it's called "zero entry"). Also, of the total land that Shea has there, Douglas County *made* them buy it all, and only allowed them to develop 30ish% of it - the remainder is either open space throughout the community or a tract of land that's about 60-65% of contiguous open space behind the community (the formal "back country") that will have trails and be exclusively for use by the community residents. It backs to an enormous tract of park and open space that extends for miles thereafter.

Anyway you can shoot me some contact information if you'd like more detail on it - we're contracted in the "middle-level" of their homes, so I don't know much about the other two currently under construction, however, I believe you can check out the floor plans at Backcountry - Wild at Heart. Also, they just opened a very small block of condos that we got a mailer for...I know nothing about them.

Hope this helps a little more.

Please feel free to contact me if you want more information.

Regards,

-Future Back Country Resident.

Gosh, you do sound like a sales rep . If you're contracted in the middle level, then you must have purchased one of the few Water Dance homes they've sold. Seems like the inventory is moving fairly slow in all 3 levels. I noticed they have a sale going on right now and it doesn't look like that's enticed too many buyers either. Maybe the homes are overpriced? Or I guess my perspective could be off. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Last edited by tulips&roses; 10-31-2007 at 11:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 10:12 AM

75 posts, read 289,906 times
I personally hope these homes drop 5-10% over the course of the next 6-12 months. We are looking at Denver relocation and are looking at backcountry. If anyone goes out there, please take some pictures of the area - the website doesnt show anything. Also, it would be great if that sundail house had a Grill to relax and have a bite and drink and enjoy the views..Wishful thinking

Last edited by LAAFTERHOURS; 11-09-2007 at 10:42 AM..

Old 11-09-2007, 10:45 AM

11,813 posts, read 34,274,069 times
Rocky Mountain News - Denver and Colorado's reliable source for breaking news, sports and entertainment: Real Estate (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/real_estate/article/0,1299,DRMN_414_5742071,00.html - broken link)

Old 11-09-2007, 11:14 AM

260 posts, read 1,434,851 times
Personally, I think a sub-HOA fee of $250 is ludacris.

My MIL bought a new Shea home a couple year back and she has had a horrible experience, despite the supposedly great JD Power ratings Shea enjoys. I can tell you that in my mind, when Mission Viejo sold to Shea Homes ... the lot sizes shunk almost overnight and the traffic through neighborhoods become much worse. They also put a shopping center on every corner ... which might be handy, but it over-commercialized and otherwise nice place.

This ended up driving me out of HR (along with all the people) and down into CR.

For $32, HR residents already get access to 4 rec enters, all within 5 min of this location.

This definately rubs me as a "rich only" development. If I was buying in the > $1 mil price range in HR (IMHO crazy in itself -- so many better choices for the money) ... I would buy in the Highwoods, which is an existing gated community within HR and with larger lots and mtn views. There are a couple other gated areas within HR, which are also nice.

Also, the whole 'private trails' topic makes most people in CO very angry. Last year, the HR HOA took a position of not sharing their trails with the surrounding areas, thus making them private. This is awful, as the vast majority of the HR open space is south of the homes.

Land owners worked with the county to make this area protected by conservation easements. Now HR won't allow Douglas County to connect its trails to the HR trails -- which really goes againt how trails in Colorado have been developed. They always connect and have always been shared and viewed as a public asset.

Quote:
The Highlands Ranch Community Association has told hikers to keep their membership cards handy because volunteers will be patrolling for trespassers.
Can you imagine the arrogance?

This online petition has almost 1000 responses, but HR HOA doesn't care.
Stop The Privatization Of Colorado's Trails - Signatures

Personally, I know the backgountry will be successful ... but I think its sad, because it represents a lot of what is bad about HR and not much about what is good. And you are suppporting the tiny lot sizes that Shea knows it can sell.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:21 AM

Yeah the HOA above the HR fees is garbage imo. Cant believe what you posted about the trails, thats not cool at all.

Our here in socal - mello roos dot every development built in the last 20 yrs and the tax rate in SD county coupled with the Mello and HOAs runs you almost 2% of the purchase price so 250 a month isnt all that bad. The 118 a quarter is worth it imo.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.adams View Post
This definately rubs me as a "rich only" development. If I was buying in the > $1 mil price range in HR (IMHO crazy in itself -- so many better choices for the money) ... I would buy in the Highwoods, which is an existing gated community within HR and with larger lots and mtn views. There are a couple other gated areas within HR, which are also nice.

Please let me know other gated subs if you know them by name. Prefer larger lot sizes

Old 11-09-2007, 11:25 AM

676 posts, read 2,788,176 times
I've worked on the Backcountry Sub. I've heard that the supposed "open space" is going to have access only to residences of the sub.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:44 AM

Falcon Hills - this is a gated community near University & Venneford Ranch ... it's older, but real nice and larger lots. Mature landscaping and some w/great views. Closer to highway and RTD than most. Probably has more character than a new development.

THere is the Highwoods (between Broadway & WIldcat and Wildcat and Gateway Dr).
Also older and more mature. This was the first > $1 mil development in HR and some house are probably over $2 mil now. Very exclusive.

The Ridge at Weatherstone. Might not be gated, but is all custom-built homes on much larger lots, usually with vieiws or backing to open space -- in the general vicinity of the streets: Meyerwood, Brettonwood and Ridgecrest.

There is also a gated community near the golfcourse in Eastridge and perhaps another near the golf course in Westridge (near Redstone Park).

There are many other gated communities in the Castle Pines North area. Again, usually starting at $800k and going up from there.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:10 PM

I still think HR hasn't heard the last about their horrific decision to make their trails "private". Yeah, I feel like venting a little. If other communities acted this way, then most of the trails in Colorado would be non-existent.

I guess the Backcountry plans to make private trails so that members can have yet another "exclusive" feature not available to others. You know, the crazy thing is -- that most of these upper-crustys don't ever go outside in the first place. I'd also be surprised if they went to the gym much either, except to show off their new outfits or new boobs.

To be honest, I almost never saw anybody on these trails when I DID live there. If somebody came up and asked me from some ID, I'd tell them to shove it or "I forgot it". Who carries ID on a walk or bike ride anyways?

Old 11-12-2007, 02:22 AM

20 posts, read 78,304 times
We are planning a move back to Colorado within the next six months and are currently researching areas to buy a home. Our previous home (four years ago), was in Eastridge, Highlands Ranch.

We're interested to know more about the Highwoods neighbourhood. It appeals to us because of the larger lot sizes, open space, and the beautiful mountain views. At least we think this to be true! We have been searching real estate sites and trying to picture the area via Google earth and Zillow.

Highwoods also appears to be in a good school district which is very important to us. We have three elementary school aged kids and would prefer to live in an area where most of the kids go to the local school. I like the idea of them being able to walk or bus there.

We'll be visiting in January to make final decisions about our move, so the more information we can collect before then, the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver