Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 11:46 AM

56 posts, read 147,778 times

Advertisements

So why is it there are so few pools in Denver? Serious question here, but this is coming from a girl originally from Hawaii and Los Angeles.

Guessing it's because the weather makes it too costly to maintain? And that the amount of months warm enough to actually swim are too few to be worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 12:58 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
I had a neighbor with an in ground heated pool - a $100 more a month for xcel, plus $30-75 for pool service. I have no idea what the insurance would be.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:29 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizmama View Post
So why is it there are so few pools in Denver? Serious question here, but this is coming from a girl originally from Hawaii and Los Angeles.

Guessing it's because the weather makes it too costly to maintain? And that the amount of months warm enough to actually swim are too few to be worth it?
The swimming season in Denver is only about three months a year. The majority of public pools are indoors for that reason. It's a lot of land space for something that you can only use for three months a year.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:14 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
The swimming season in Denver is only about three months a year. The majority of public pools are indoors for that reason. It's a lot of land space for something that you can only use for three months a year.
And even saying three months is pushing it. I'd say it's more like two solid months when the pool could be used (a lot of years June is still not warm enough), and even then, due to the frequency of afternoon thunderstorms, late afternoons/ evenings are often out.

Plus, a lot of neighborhoods have community swimming pools run by the HOA. Also, Aurora (not sure about the other metro area cities) has a bunch of public swimming pools.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:17 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,755 times
I completely disagree. It is as hot as hell in Denver in the summer. I can almost always swim 4 months a year. I suspect one reason there aren't a lot of pools here is because of the low humidity. In the midwest and east there are tons of pools. They are everywhere in places like Kansas City and Chicago and even further north. Plus I'd much rather maintain a pool than mow a lawn any day.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:26 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
I completely disagree. It is as hot as hell in Denver in the summer. I can almost always swim 4 months a year. I suspect one reason there aren't a lot of pools here is because of the low humidity. In the midwest and east there are tons of pools. They are everywhere in places like Kansas City and Chicago and even further north. Plus I'd much rather maintain a pool than mow a lawn any day.
Interesting theory. But Phoenix has much lower humidity then Denver, and every other house there has a swimming pool. Which leads me to believe that year round warm weather has more to do with it then humidity.

Also I have no idea where you get information that Kansas City and Chicago have a lot of swimming pools.

I think this thread gives a better explanation of the reason some cities have more pools then others.

In what cities are homes most likely to have swimming pools?

Last edited by KaaBoom; 02-15-2012 at 07:40 AM..

Old 02-18-2012, 12:24 AM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,755 times
Quote:
Interesting theory. But Phoenix has much lower humidity then Denver, and every other house there has a swimming pool. Which leads me to believe that year round warm weather has more to do with it then humidity.

Also I have no idea where you get information that Kansas City and Chicago have a lot of swimming pools.

I think this thread gives a better explanation of the reason some cities have more pools then others.

In what cities are homes most likely to have swimming pools?
My parents lived in a suburb of KC and there were lots of pools. The weather is miserable there in the summer (and the winter too I suppose).
I'm not saying there are more pools there than in places like Phoenix but there seem to be more than there are here. It seems sort of odd that places with much more brutal weather have more pools than a place like Denver.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:31 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
It is as hot as hell in Denver in the summer. I can almost always swim 4 months a year..
Quote:
Which leads me to believe that year round warm weather has more to do with it then humidity.
I agree with both of the above quotes.
I love the water. I've never had a private pool. When I lived in Colorado (1968-2005) it sort of became a hobby to find ways to swim. Public pools, state parks, private swim clubs and fitness centers kept me as sane as possible.
Here in north Florida, pools are common, even if they are just silly little soaking-tub size.
The at-home swimming pool lifestyle does not seem that prevalent in Colorado, an arid state which, in general, is not big on water sports. There are plenty of other things to do that can be done year-round at a lower cost.

Denver's weather, while often mild during the winter, can be extremely hot and extremely cold. I do not have personal experience with maintaining a pool in Colorado, but I wonder if the reason Denver roads get potholes (expansive, clayey soils that shrink and swell) might also cause wear and tear on a swimming pool?

The maintenance cost of a pool is probably daunting for many, also some people are mindful of water conservation and view a community pool as being more environmentally sensitive.
In Denver I lived in several neighborhoods that were considered "nice," but knew of only a few homes that had in-ground swimming pools. I would have loved a lap pool but we never seriously considered it, our yard was xeriscaped.

In a high desert location where droughts and water shortages are a hot topic, Coloradans who love the water have kind of a tough gig.

One idea: Bow Mar is a water-oriented community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver