Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Couple moving to Colorado possibly Fort Collins, Denver area, advice needed on: employment opportunities for teachers, abundance of activities, small town feel

Old 09-14-2006, 01:15 PM

26 posts, read 182,253 times

Advertisements

My wife an I have decided we want to move out of Indiana. I've been wanting to move to Colorado for the last few years, although I've never been out west. She has before, when she was very young but remembers how nice it was. Sometine after the holidays we are going to take a trip out there. We would like to move around July-August of next year. I have narrowed it down to the Denver area but also have heard that Ft. Collins is nice. We lived in Bloomington, In for awhile and like the college town atmosphere, theres always plenty to do.

I am lost on where to start! I've tried looking online for resources about relocating out there and have come up empty. I want to plan a trip that we would take after the holidays to figure out what would be the best fit for us. This seemed like really good place to get some help. We both grew up in a small rural town but loved Bloomington, pop. of about 60,000. We would like to live somewhere thats got great views with plenty to do, but with a small town feel.

I'm a high school science teacher and she is a manager with Walgreen's. She can be relocated very easily but I am curious about the job market for teachers.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,148 times
Default Relocating

Hey,
Congrats on your decision to move. I am running into the same thing. My fiance and I are buckling under the outrageous cost of living here in Massachusetts. We both grew up in NE and were looking for a place to go where we might build a little wealth and then head wherever we want.
So I pulled up some info online. There are some great pages:
[url=http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html?step=form&x=44&y=13]Cost of Living - Cost of Living Calculator from CNNMoney.com[/url]
The one above takes you to a calulator that will tell you what the equivelant salary in your new location will be and the percentages more or less your primary expenses will be with the new state's cost of living.

[url=http://www.apartmentsearch.com/moving-help/]Apartment Search: Moving Center[/url]
this one gives you a checklist and timeline for what "chores" have to be done and when

[url=http://www.missourieconomy.org/indicators/cost_of_living/index.stm]Cost of Living 1st Quarter 2008[/url]
This one is posted by the state of missouri but it has statistics about all the states that I found really interesting.

As far as where to start....I agree...the web is not offering much. I want specifics on first moves like job search, housing search, what pitfalls to watch for when relocating. Not seeing anything...just a lot on moving companies.
I wish you luck. I would love to live in CO myself. Someday!
take care

Old 08-19-2008, 08:54 PM

26,154 posts, read 48,849,388 times
Much of the data you guys seek is HERE on city-data.

Hard data is on the data side. Opinions and textual matter is here on the Forum side.

Use the index of threads as a starting point. Then use the search tool, it is VERY good.

Things are tough all over, but Colorado is getting by fairly well, it seems.

Walgreen's are all over the state. Views of mountains are great all along the Front Range, from Fort Collins to Pueblo. Colorado Springs is very affordable, is located right at the base of the mountains, has Colorado College right in town, and has a ton of good schools too. Don't rule us out. Yes, Fort Collins has a bigger college presence. Come see both.

Rent a year before buying. Try to have at least one job lined up when you arrive, or bring 3-6 months income if no jobs.

s/mike

Old 08-20-2008, 12:05 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,419,263 times
There is more of a market for science teachers than for teachers in other areas. That said, teaching jobs are competitive here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver