Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2012, 02:19 AM

88 posts, read 193,972 times

Advertisements

So my boyfriend, our pups, and I have found a wonderful home in the highlands part of denver. While I've only heard great things, I just want a very honest POV from everyone on what they think about the area as a whole.

Just so you know a bit about us, we are both young and work in the restaurant industry. We currently live in an old neighborhood in houston called the Heights and it's defintely got a lot of character. We love it to pieces, but the weather is getting too crazy for us and our pets, both physically and mentally. The heat is unbearable, at least for us. We both want to leave Houston and call another city (or more) home while we still can.

So here we are. Moving in May, going to be in the highlands. How do you guys like living there?

Thanks so much, can't wait to hear back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 03:59 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,202,880 times
I don't live in Highlands, but I am jealous It's a great neighborhood if you can afford it, with a lot of character, proximity to downtown and it seems fairly active as "quiet neighborhoods" go. Best of luck!

Old 02-22-2012, 09:34 AM

17,673 posts, read 29,579,921 times
Default The Highlands are too expensive for me

I live in Berkeley (which all the real estate people tell me is the "next Highlands) because it is/was more affordable. But, I don't view my house as an investment, I see it as a place to live--and enjoy life.

We lived in Bonnie Brae and chose Berkeley when it came time to downsize. Our new house is 100 whole sqft smaller, but our mortgage is zero$.

What do I like about the North Side?
1. Restaurants. Plethora. 1.5 blocks to Hops and Pie (me love beer) and Axios (best Greek restaurant in Denver). 1.2 mile walk to the Lowell and 32nd Ave intersection.
2. Local shops.
3. Convenient access to Safeway, King Soopers, Sunflower.
4. Convenient access to Costco, Home Depot.
5. Cheapest gas in town.
6. Applejack Liquors is 5.8 miles away.
7. High Walk Score for our house.
8. Easy and quick access to both I-70 and I-25.
9. Gentrification. As an old fart, I like to see younger people moving in.
10. Alley. but, we also had that in Bonnie Brae.

What don't I like?
1. Nearest Whole Foods and Super Target are 6.3 miles away.
2. Berkeley and Rocky Mountain Parks are not Wash Park.
3. All the art house cinemas are now far away.
4. Purple recycling bins are picked up at curbside instead of in the alley.
5. The police forces of Lakeside and Mountain View whose entire paycheck depends upon speeding tickets. Glad to say that I have never received one.
6. Taggers. But, we also had that in Bonnie Brae.

Last edited by davebarnes; 02-22-2012 at 11:03 AM..

Old 02-22-2012, 10:02 AM

103 posts, read 290,991 times
We lived in the Highlands and absolutely loved it. We loved that we could walk to restaurants, we could walk downtown with the new pedestrian bridge and could basically get anywhere quickly because of the proximity to the highway. Our house is old 1890 and has tons of character. I liked feeling like a part of a "community" and I think Highlands offers that. It does feel like that the residents want to make it a great place to live.

Things I don't like: Our house is near a lot of restaurants (a plus) but also parking can be somewhat challenging. I hate that people speed through the alleys (we have little kids) and not a fan of our garages getting tagged by bored North High students.

We are moving back to our house this summer. We just couldn't stay away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: