U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2012, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,982 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone

I am going to be moving to the Denver area at the end of March 2012 and would like to know which areas are the best places to live and where to avoid.

Here is my background:
- Moving to Colorado due to job transfer (office is on the boarder of Denver and Aurora - East Dakota Ave.)
- I am a single female in my mid-thirties with graduate degrees
- No children
- I have two small dogs (toy breeds - older, well trained and house broken)
- I would like to live relatively close to work because of the dogs (30 minutes max commute driving)
- My income is ~80K

Here is what I am "ideally" looking for:
- I am looking for a place to rent in a safe location (place where I can walk my dogs by myself at night - don't mind if it is in the suburbs or city just as long as it is safe).
- Looking for either a 2 bedroom townhouse or condo (1st floor preferable) that accepts pets - garage would be nice
- I prefer to be south of Denver (South, South East, South West)
- I am willing to pay up to $1,300/month in rent (could go higher if necessary but prefer not to)

I have heard that the following are nice places to live: Centennial, Littleton, Parker, Lone Tree, Greenwood Village.

As far as Aurora is concerned, I have heard mixed reviews from people that I've talked to and information I've gathered on-line. I've read that the "Cherry Creek" area, which I guess is mainly in Aurora (sometimes it seems to be in Denver), is a nice area. The problem is that the "Cherry Creek" area seems to be ambiguous to me.

Is this area primarily around the Cherry Creek State Park, below hwy 225 or does it extend further north?
If there are safe places to live north of hwy 225, where are they located (i.e. is Florida Ave., E. Mississippi Ave, E. Illiff Ave a safe area?)?
What about the area near the Buckley Airforce Base?
The reason why I am interested in the Cherry Creek area is because it seems to be close to where my office would be.

Any advice about neighborhoods (where to live, what place to avoid, any other suggestions) would be most appreciated!!

Thanks for your help - Really looking forward to moving to Colorado!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 10:36 PM

14,022 posts, read 20,330,583 times
Lowry
New Homes Lowry Denver | Master Planned Sustainable Community | A Landmark Urban Community in Denver

Cherry Creek means.
1. Cherry Creek neighborhood in Denver. It surrounds the Cherry Creek Mall.
2. Cherry Creek. A moving body of water that flow from Cherry Creek Reservoir (SE of Denver) to the South Platte River in downtown Denver.
3. Cherry Creek School District.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:21 PM

3 posts, read 16,760 times
Default In-Town or Suburbs

Moving to CO -

I would consider living in-town if you are single. Look at Congress Park, Park Hill, or Wash Park. Or, if the suburbs delight you - all of the areas you mention are nice.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:39 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,712,630 times
Most of the apartments in Cherry Creek proper are high rise buildings, which I'm guessing probably isn't going to work for you having two dogs.

Check out an apartment complex called the Breakers, located in east Denver at Mississippi & Dayton. It's a huge complex (the largest one in the state, I believe) with a guarded entrance where you drive in. It looks almost like a country club (no golf though), with beautiful landscaping all around, trails, a lake, and a nice clubhouse with a bar. The buildings are more townhouse style than apartment style. Some of them are dog free, but some of them do allow dogs. It would be a very convenient location for commuting to your job as well as access to Cherry Creek and the rest of Denver.

Nothing wrong with most of Aurora. The north part of Aurora (especially north of 6th avenue) is rough and should be avoided. Most of it is just an average middle class area. You'll definitely find lower rent there compared to equivalent type properties in Denver itself. The main problem with Aurora, IMHO, is it's boring. The best part of Aurora is the southeast part of the city. There are some nice townhomes that are on the east side of Cherry Creek State Park, which may interest you if you are a runner/cyclist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or