Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 01:09 AM

13 posts, read 35,836 times

Advertisements

Hi, my family and I (my spouse, 4 yr old son and english bulldog) will be visiting driving from CA in March from 10th-17th. We are not use to a lot of snow and are excited to see it all once we get to CO, however I am curious as to how much snow you actually get in Mid-March? Will we need snow boots, snow suits? We will be staying in Aurora off Abilene and plan to do visiting in Denver, Keystone, and Aurora as well as driving up to Cracker Barrel (my fav restuarant, and we dont have one here in Cali) Anywho, any advise would be awesome as far as usual weather conditions, tips on what to pack, etc? Thanks you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 03:54 AM

69 posts, read 186,259 times
Default Denver when does spring start

Excellent question and on that note ... I'm hearing people post dreadful posts (well, that's from my personal perspective), for various Northern States as in the Oregon and Colorado forums . . . for when spring "usually" starts . . . Many of us are used to spring starting in late February, but that doesn't appear to be the case in Denver with the repeated closings of the Denver Airport and 88 mph winds in Boulder, as I'm hearing on ABC news.

When does spring in Denver "traditionally begin," for those of us visiting the area by car?

When do the Denver winds die down, and when is there an absolutely 0% chance of snow?

And, does the absence of wind and termination of snow define the end of spring, or, can inclement weather occur at any time of the year?

If so, do you folks recommend that Denver isn't for everyone, and that many of us (re-)-consider New Mexico and Texas instead. Thank you.....

Last edited by JuniperRidge1; 02-26-2012 at 04:12 AM.. Reason: When does spring start in denver

Old 02-26-2012, 05:17 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,922,766 times
Wear layers and versatile footwear. It might be 80, it might be 30. March can be windy.

There is nothing "traditional" about a Denver spring other than the knowledge that anything can happen. We had our wedding reception outside on May 1st, 1982 and got away with it, the weather was mild and beautiful. Five days later, it snowed.

Quote:
When do the Denver winds die down, and when is there an absolutely 0% chance of snow?
If so, do you folks recommend that Denver isn't for everyone, and that many of us (re-)-consider New Mexico and Texas instead.
I couldn't say for sure. There are a lot of happy Coloradans. For a zero chance of snow and/or gloomy weather, late June into July should be safe.
I remember March as being very windy, not so much the rest of the year. During the summertime, afternoon thunderstorms are a welcome relief from the heat.

The last *possible* snow date is sometime around May 15.

The last hard freeze can vary. (In 2007 it was June. In 2011 it was May 5, with snow on the 11th.)

Snow can be hit or miss in spring, but can sometimes be wet and heavy in March. Our May 2010 visit was bookended with snowstorms.

The picture below was taken at our home in central Denver in March 2003. That is a car in the left foreground, and the dog was a 155 lb mastiff. Of course there is a very good chance that a remarkable storm like this will not occur next month--but there is always the possibility.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:50 AM

152 posts, read 322,569 times
i would say check the weather as it gets closer. if you want your kids to play in the snow, i would just get the essentials. snowboots and snow gloves but keep the tags on everything so if you don't use it you can return it. OR better yet, borrow from friends. That's what we did when we live in CA and visited snow.

but it could snow one day and be in the 60s the next day. that's not helpful is it... check the weather when the time gets closer

Old 02-26-2012, 08:27 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,334,823 times
I remember that blizzard of March 2003. My daughter was a freshman in college in Minnesota. The storm came just before her spring break. She was so afraid she wouldn't get to come home. (She did.)

Another snow story involving said daughter. Her birthday is in March. When she was born, my mom was planning to come out from PA to help. Mom thought the snow/ski season would be over by then. She flew out from Pittsburgh on a ski charter that needed one more passenger.

March is the snowiest month, statistically. However, I've seen some warm, dry Marches. I agree with the advice to just buy or borrow the basics. Even checking the weather as you get close won't help much. There can be freaky storms that just up and develop.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:41 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,193,689 times
Since statistically March is the snowiest month and you forced me to bet, I would plan for snow and wind. After living in CO for many years, I recall many more cold and snowy March instances than warm. Also spring comes late to CO and a CO March is not at all what most from outside the state would consider "spring".

Last edited by Idlewile; 02-26-2012 at 12:56 PM..

Old 02-26-2012, 02:31 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,366,967 times
Having grown up in Northeastern Colorado since the age of 13 and been a resident of Denver on and off for 22 years I can say without fear of reprisal that March is the absolute snowiest month for the front range (Denver) and eastern Colorado.

I've been in some crazy snow storms in March going to and leaving Denver on both I-70 and I-76 to where the highway was gated shut and closed due to ground blizzards causing white out conditions.

Denver and vicinity averages close to 5000 feet in elevation throughout most of the immediate city of Denver which of course causes what would be rain at lower elevations to be snow in the city.

One day in March it could be 80 F and a day later you can't drive your car safely on I-25 due to the falling snow accumulation.

Just my experiences for you.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:14 PM

245 posts, read 706,222 times
Got a question: Are the temperatures in March warm enough to quickly melt all that thick heavy snow ? Or does it stick around for longer than (say) the fluffier January snow ?

This will be my first March in Colorado, so hope I get some interesting experiences :-)

That 90mph windy day last week was the first time I have seen anything like that !

Old 02-26-2012, 09:04 PM

13 posts, read 35,836 times
Thank u very much I've been slowly buying snow gear just in case and were bring cash in case we have to stop somewhere because of a storm. I'm hoping for snow but visibility still lol wind I'm use to I live in the desert with the Santa Ana winds. We average 20-25 mph usually most days gust getting up to 90mph when we have a storm coming.

I would like to know the above ? About it melting after a snowfall?

Also we're staying at homewood suites DTC on Inverness, if anyone can shed some light on the area that would be awesome! Also.....,,

Things to do as a family while there either free or a charge just nothing pricey?? Suggestions....

Old 02-26-2012, 09:49 PM

6,364 posts, read 11,820,760 times
The reason why March has the most snow is because its relatively warm allowing for more moisture to fall and hence it should melt fairly quickly. There were some big snowstorms this past Oct eut the snow was hardly sticking on the roads, which is how most but not all March storms are. The big blizzard at the start of this month was tough because it got cold right afterwards as it can normally be in early Feb and it took all month for most of that snow to finally melt.

I'd say if you are around for 3 days you probably have a 30% chance of seeing flurries/dusting of snow and 20% chance of good accumulating snow. To reach those high snow amounts all it takes is two moist storms so its not like its necessarily snowing often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver