Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 08:13 AM

204 posts, read 200,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick4242 View Post
Some of them seem legit, but probably 70% of all meetups are just people trying to sell you something. That is extremely unethical, and I would never do business with someone who had to resort to such BS to get business.
Quote:
I prefer living around people with cash, because then it motivates me to want to offer those people great services which will then cause them to depart with their cash.

I don't want anything to do with average people. I wish they would all leave.

They're just trying to get some of your piles of cash. I don't see what the big deal is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 09:35 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,447,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartbury View Post
Glad I found this thread as I needed to vent about Meetup and the power organizers have over the brave souls who turn up to a meeting/outing solo. Yes, there's definitely a tendency for organizers to get "block happy" and publicly shame others with fake "no shows" etc (I've had that one!) My advice? Use a nickname and skip the photo when you sign up. You never know who you're going to be running into.
Some social sites like Meetup or Meetin.org have a policy that if you don't have a picture of yourself, you're not invited to their event. This has been more so with private residences where strangers are being invited into their homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
I get your POV, but I also get the group admin's POV. With Meetup groups, people tend to be flaky. You'll have 100 people RSVP for a rooftop bar event, and only 25 show up. The Meetup group admin wants active participation, because they have to pay a nominal fee to set the group up on Meetup. If you get people who sign up for your group and events and rarely show up, it can be frustrating. After all, you set up and paid for the group so you could get active members to come out and participate in something you have shared interest in.
One frustrating that happens on occassion that I hear from organizers (and as an attendee of several regions, I've witnessed this more than once) is people who RSVP for an event with limited slots with a decent sized wait list, and then those who flake out just kept those on the waitlist from being able to attend. They either don't un RSVP, or do so at the last minute that those on the waitlist already made alternative plans, or can't get notified in time that they've been bumped to "Yes".

Old 07-19-2016, 09:43 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,447,489 times
Quote:
Some of them seem legit, but probably 70% of all meetups are just people trying to sell you something. That is extremely unethical, and I would never do business with someone who had to resort to such BS to get business.
Any chance you inadvertently attended a Amway/Quixstar meeting? Those are truly awful. I've been to some meetups where they were selling stuff, but it was clear in some way or another, and definitely NOT a blatant sales pitch.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:32 AM

331 posts, read 462,229 times
Wow. I've been lucky, I guess. I've joined some local meetup.com groups, almost all related to photography. I've been active in some, not active in others. Have enjoyed many meetups to take photos, and also some workshops and classes. One group seemed to turn into an income vehicle for the organizer. I don't begrudge her that but wasn't interested in most of the sessions/classes she was offering. When the group was no longer free to join, I just quit. No big deal. Plenty of other groups out there that work for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver