Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 11:16 AM

35 posts, read 117,670 times

Advertisements

If you had a choice of either Denver or Phoenix with all reasons aside that keeps you on one place over the other such as your family, your friends, your job, whatever it might be what would you prefer? You can take your family, friends, and your career with you. Would you stay or go? Intangibles like schools, weather, crime, economy, nightlife, recreation all matter. Answers from those who've spent time in both would be appreciated. I have to take on a job that requires relocation from Chicago to one of the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 11:47 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,420,217 times
For me I can deal with a sunny cold (??) winter easier than a long hot summer. Forty eight and sunny isn't as bad as 108. But if jobs, family, etc. didn't matter and I could live in a nice area with good schools, pools, etc., I could probably handle it. I think a nice place anywhere is a nice place.

Like I've posted before, most people overweigh weather. Most people, even in Southern California, are in their houses, cars, or offices 23 hours a day. That is, I don't think people in SoCal spend that many more minutes a week outdoors than do people in Minnesota. Too much Gameboys, DVDs, Internet, Television, etc. And if you are a family dad like I am, when I get home from work there's kids homework, things to be fixed, bills, and 20 other fires I got to put out each night.

I distinctly remember beautiful 72 degree days in January and February (very common) in LA, watching guys sit at their desk at lunchtime and read the paper. They didn't bother to go out and take a walk, or sit in the sunshine. And for this, they pay the premium to live there.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:00 PM

23 posts, read 213,065 times
I moved from Chicago to Phx 8 yrs ago and am now thinking about moving back to Denver (I grew up in Denver). The weather in Phx may seem attractive the first few years, especially comparing to the Jan/Feb weather in Chicago. I have to say for me, the 1st and 2nd year were fun, had a pool in the backyard, went mountain biking in the winter, shorts on Christmas, etc.Then the 3rd, 4th year, you expect the heat and stay indoors more especially in the summer months. The 5th, 6th year, you just put up with the heat, and wishing that global warming would reverse its direction, now, fastward to my 8th year, I can't stand this heat anymore. It's too hot to swim when it's 115 degrees out (pool feels more like a bath). Sick of going to the mall and having my window closed all the time (dust). I am reading this board b/c I want to move to Denver, I really think this is my last summer here. Today, it's still about 110 degrees, mind you this has been going on since end of May..... this heat is hotter than hell...and I don't care how 'dry' it is...

Old 09-10-2007, 01:18 PM

35 posts, read 117,670 times
I appreciate the 2 replies but so far but...is that it?

Old 09-10-2007, 03:13 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,224,697 times
There have already been several questions on comparing these two cities before. Look up in the archives. Also, you could be more specific on what's important to you, and what kind of city you want. People tend not to reply to generic questions. I did reply to your question on the Phoenix forum-- look there.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:15 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,933,579 times
diamontes,

Here's another thread on that topic:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...r-phoenix.html

I actually did live (briefly) in Tempe, AZ for a while, but I've spent most of my life right here in Colorado. I like Arizona, but I like Colorado much better. About the only thing that Phoenix has on Denver is that it's about 3x the size (the Metro area is about 2x larger than Denver metro area). Despite the size difference, Denver feels much more like a city to me; Phoenix is more a collection of suburbs. However, in either case, I think you really move to each area because of what the state offers (Colorado and Arizona). I think Colorado is the most beautiful state I've seen, though I will say Arizona is a contender for that title as well. However, Denver residents enjoy a world of scenic wonders within an easy hour's drive of Denver itself.

Unless weather pushes you strongly toward Arizona, I'd say that Colorado really has more going for it in most categories.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:56 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,619,300 times
Just moved to Denver from phoenix. Couldnt stand the place, iot much to look at, HOT HOT HOT, brown and dusty, crime, high cost. Didnt sit well with me. Denver is an awesome city.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:06 PM

19 posts, read 77,651 times
Hi,
I am originally from the Chicago suburbs and have lived in Phoenix for 10 years now. I have only taken trips to Denver several times. I will tell you ever since my first trip to Colorado 3 years ago I have been hoping to relocate there eventually. I love it there....granted I have never lived there.

Like many posters have already stated it depends on what you are looking for. I loved Phx when I first moved out here. I was young, single and there is a lot to do-hiking, camping, skiing up north, swimming, lakes, Scottsdale nightlife, etc. Now that I have a family it doesn't fit my needs as much. Lots of urban sprawl with not much character. In my opionion, it is not very family orientated-people keep to themselves, not much community. The summers are brutal, especially when your child wants to go outside all the time and it is 110 degrees out. The school system is definitely not the greatest and it is very brown here. My husband and I miss the seasons and want our children to grow up enjoying them like we did.

Like any place there are pros and cons, check out both cities and try to get out here to Phoenix while it is nice and HOT still. Good luck with your decision.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:28 PM

120 posts, read 468,687 times
Default Denver!!

I have spend a fare amount of time In Phoenix and I find it a cultural wasteland.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:29 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,595,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesalad View Post
I moved from Chicago to Phx 8 yrs ago and am now thinking about moving back to Denver (I grew up in Denver). The weather in Phx may seem attractive the first few years, especially comparing to the Jan/Feb weather in Chicago. I have to say for me, the 1st and 2nd year were fun, had a pool in the backyard, went mountain biking in the winter, shorts on Christmas, etc.Then the 3rd, 4th year, you expect the heat and stay indoors more especially in the summer months. The 5th, 6th year, you just put up with the heat, and wishing that global warming would reverse its direction, now, fastward to my 8th year, I can't stand this heat anymore. It's too hot to swim when it's 115 degrees out (pool feels more like a bath). Sick of going to the mall and having my window closed all the time (dust). I am reading this board b/c I want to move to Denver, I really think this is my last summer here. Today, it's still about 110 degrees, mind you this has been going on since end of May..... this heat is hotter than hell...and I don't care how 'dry' it is...
You need some tree's around that pool. Pools are a blast. Best when it's in your own backyard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver