Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2007, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 4,979 times

Advertisements

I'm a relocating newbie and any advice will be so appreciated...

I'm currently living in Puerto Rico and I want to relocate because here the economy is bad and its getting worst (minimum wage is still $5.35 and they recently raised it from $5.15), I can't stand the heat and public transportation is beyond horrid...
The state I want to relocate to has to have the following:

-Moderate to cold weather most of the year.
-Be diverse or at least respectful of diversity (i'm hispanic and a lesbian, my partner is coming along for the move)
-Have a good job market
-Have good public transportation
-It can't be too expensive (rent for a 1bed/1bath pet friendly apt shouldn't go over $700 plus utilities and stuff)

I'm interested on Denver, CO but any suggestions will be taken in mind..
any advice if to rent before leaving or anything like that will be of great help.

Thanxs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 05:07 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,119 times
Hi Reloclezzie...

Given your criteria, I would look at Denver.

1) In my opinion, the weather in Denver is fairly mild for most of the year. Of course, coming from Puerto Rico you may feel quite differently! The summers can be quite hot with daytime highs in the 90s. Winter temperatures vary greatly: it can be 60 degrees one day and 30 degrees the next. Denver gets quite a bit of snow, but it typically melts within a few days. Humidity here is generally low year-round.

2) I also feel that Denver is respectful of diversity. We have a pretty large gay and lesbian population. I would consider living in the city of Denver close to downtown, rather than in the suburbs. There's much more culture and more diversity in the city. I don't think many people, if any will care that you are a lesbian. Check the Capitol Hill area- I have heard this area referred to as the "gayborhood."

3) The job market here varies greatly depending on your profession. There are lots of hospitality, restaurant, tech, and administrative support positions in Denver. Check sites like monster.com or careerbuilder.com to see the availability of the type of job you are seeking.

4) The public transportation here is OK, but greatly improving. We have a light rail system that goes from downtown to south metro Denver. They are in the process of planning an expansion that will cover most of metro Denver. RTD Bus Lines run around the city but the closer you live to downtown, the easier it is to get around.

5) You shouldn't have a problem finding a 1br/1bath apartment for $700 or less.

Good luck!

Old 09-08-2007, 07:08 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
Default Jusat read this...

If you have not already, Salt Lake City, Utah would be an excellent. It is a beautiful, vibrant city with lots to offer. The job market here is booming, however, that is mostly for service industry jobs. There are literally 1000's of jobs for under $18/ hour.
The religious culture here is strong with the HQ of the LDS Church being right downtown. That can be a little oppressive if you are not Mormon, but overall it is a wonderful place to live!

Please PM me if you want any more help. Best of luck!

Old 09-27-2007, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,979 times
Well... i'm currently working as an interpreter(spanish/english) from home but I've worked mostly in customer service call centers and hotels...so any suggestions in regards to cities that may have my requierments and good job markets in those fields???

thanxs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: