Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 02:08 PM

320 posts, read 1,733,391 times

Advertisements

we are going to scout neighborhoods and get a general feel for the areas. We will be moving next summer if all goes as planned.
We are looking at Parker(Pinery) Golden,Thornton,henderson and Strasburg( kinda far out) just about everywhere in between.
we are hitting up the Dick on Sunday for a soccer match
Oktoberfest and Taste of Parker-Saturday

going to try to get to the dodger rockies doubleheader on Tuesday, not sure the wife will allow that.

anything I must see ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 02:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Where are you going to be working if you are looking at such diverse geographical areas as Thornton (north) and Parker (south); Strasburg (east) and Golden (west)?

Old 09-11-2007, 04:08 PM

320 posts, read 1,733,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Where are you going to be working if you are looking at such diverse geographical areas as Thornton (north) and Parker (south); Strasburg (east) and Golden (west)?
Not sure but near home wherever that is. Theres a chance I will be working at the new stadium in Commerce City. If that doesn't work out I'll find something local. For some reason not really worried about having a job before I get there. I will have enough cash to hold us over for 3+ monthes.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:31 PM

If you are working way northeast in CC, you are not going to be wanting to drive from the way southeast or southwest. This isn't California. We do get snow here. If you really don't know where you'll be working, pick a fairly central location until you get situated, in my opinion. This would mean a city neighborhood, or a close in central suburb (Arvada, Westminster, Wheat Ridge, Aurora, etc.)

Old 09-11-2007, 06:28 PM

8 posts, read 19,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfSoCal View Post
we are going to scout neighborhoods and get a general feel for the areas. We will be moving next summer if all goes as planned.
We are looking at Parker(Pinery) Golden,Thornton,henderson and Strasburg( kinda far out) just about everywhere in between.
we are hitting up the Dick on Sunday for a soccer match
Oktoberfest and Taste of Parker-Saturday

going to try to get to the dodger rockies doubleheader on Tuesday, not sure the wife will allow that.

anything I must see ?
Hi OutofSoCal we are too hedding out to Colorado this week. We are actually leaving tomorrow morning and coming back next tuesday. I have some appoitments to look at some apartments, we have decided to move in the mid of October or first of November. I wish all the best in searching for a place to start a new life with your family and drive safe.

sincerely,
gsaldana32

Old 09-22-2007, 04:24 PM

21 posts, read 87,026 times
Hi former Californians and Coloradoian posters. Happily and sadly (albeit much more happily than sadly) we too are moving out of So Cal to the Denver area in the Spring. Can hardly wait! I check this site every day to gather information and to reinforce our decision. Yesterday when I was feeling scared about the move I logged on and was greeted by this post on the LA forum "Get out if you can!!!!". So sad but that kind of sums it up for us. Anyway, we're going to be scouting around Denver and Boulder in November. The plan is to tour some schools and neighborhoods. Would love to hear any suggestions. For those who have relocated before, did you initially tour with a realtor? how long did you stay in each area of interest and how many times did you visit before the final move? OutofSoCal: have you checked out schools yet? We're also planning on settling where the kids (14;10) will be best suited and then searching for a job accordingly (looking for an existing home with some nice land in a good school and friendly area that's been around long enough to have it's own individual character). The plan is to visit maybe 3 times of increasing length as we start to narrow it down. Keep posting all- - it's very encouraging and informative.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:53 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,718,056 times
My preference is that you move to Parker and get a job down there. That way the streets of denver won't be crowded with people driving in from the burbs and treating the streets like freeway extensions. Plan Two would be move to the far northeast area and live in Stratton. I'm warning you though--the restaurants aren't much up there.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca2co08 View Post
Hi former Californians and Coloradoian posters. Happily and sadly (albeit much more happily than sadly) we too are moving out of So Cal to the Denver area in the Spring. Can hardly wait! I check this site every day to gather information and to reinforce our decision. Yesterday when I was feeling scared about the move I logged on and was greeted by this post on the LA forum "Get out if you can!!!!". So sad but that kind of sums it up for us. Anyway, we're going to be scouting around Denver and Boulder in November. The plan is to tour some schools and neighborhoods. Would love to hear any suggestions. For those who have relocated before, did you initially tour with a realtor? how long did you stay in each area of interest and how many times did you visit before the final move? OutofSoCal: have you checked out schools yet? We're also planning on settling where the kids (14;10) will be best suited and then searching for a job accordingly (looking for an existing home with some nice land in a good school and friendly area that's been around long enough to have it's own individual character). The plan is to visit maybe 3 times of increasing length as we start to narrow it down. Keep posting all- - it's very encouraging and informative.
Find the job first. Don't worry so much about the schools. You can do a search with the words "schools", "education", etc. Plus there are several active threads right now about schools and/or have links to school information. Unless you are planning to go rural, you will not find a place on much "land". BTW, I have two kids went through the public school system, one in grad school now, one in college.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 09-22-2007 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 09-22-2007, 10:05 PM

21 posts, read 87,026 times
Thanks pittnurse-- ya i've seen a lot of your posts and appreciate your feedback! I've also seen the posts about schools-- i think i may have looked at them all . It's so hard to gauge without seeing the schools to get a feel for the environment. It sounds like Boulder, Cherry Creek (not the neighborhood ) and Douglas County and Aurora have the best schools, right? I'm struggling a bit trying to figure out what to do for my ds. He's going to be entering 5th grade and, all things relative, I'd be interested in finding a school where he isn't entering as an outsider in the last year of the school. For that Alexander Dawson seems appealing. Otherwise, 3 schools in 3 years for him isn't ideal but the timing works well for my dd who will be entering high school. (she's 13 now) The consideration for her is that she loves theater so we made a deal that I'll try to find her a school that has a good performing arts program. From what i've researched that looks like Boulder schools and possibly Kent. I can't get a good feel for Denver School of the Arts but I was planning on looking at it on my visit. And recommendation noted regarding the job search- ty.

Esya, can't tell if your being mean spirited or not but I'm going to respond as if you're not. I've read nice things about Parker and was definitely thinking of looking at it as well. Someone mentioned that it's kind of a wild west type of town though and that might not work too well for us. I read a post where I believe it was Parker that was being compared to Boulder (i think) with respect to Big Box stores vs. I don't know what-- non-big box stores I guess. We're more of the non-big-box store type of family. Also, no worries, I've no intention of using the city that's going to be my new home as a freeway extension as that's what I'm eager to leave.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:18 PM

You're welcome. I think if you find a job, you can locate near a "good" school, as there are many. Jefferson Co. schools have elementary school through 6th grade, so that may help your son. All I really know is Boulder Valley schools. You will find people will tell your their schools are the best, because it's really all they know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver