Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 09:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Ditto.
I am supposed to make my message longer, so I will add this:
In general, for me, dry heat is better, and dry cold, to me, was better.
However, since I left Denver I no longer have eczema in the winters, and also I no longer have cracks all over my hands.
Eczema is a big problem here. I work in a physician's office. We have lots of patients with this problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 09:33 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL63087 View Post
Also, Dew point. I don't understand that either. Here it's 53F, Dallas is 62F, and Denver is 31F. What does that mean? I know the higher it is the more uncomfortable it feels but again what exactly are the differences between a 62F dew point and a 31F dew point?
As I understand it, the Dew point is actually just another way of referring to the temperature at which dew will form on the ground, plants, cars, etc. The closer that Dew point actually gets to the air temperature, the more humidity there is in the air. The combination of Dew point and humidity is the way you can determine how miserable or comfortable it will be. In the Summer, when you see a forecast for a temperature of, say 85 degrees, with a Dew point in the 60s or 70s, you can be sure there is a lot of moisture in the air - thus higher humidity, and you'll feel miserable and sticky.

Same thing in the Winter, except instead of dew forming, it's the point at which you will see frost forming, provided the air temperature is below freezing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmountains View Post
A couple of people on here are leading you astray. When it's "colder", it will feel more cold in a dry area than in a humid area. The moisture in the air serves as an insulator. Cold in Denver is a crisp, mountain type coolness. Cold in humid area doesn't feel as bad, but you can almost feel the moisture when you breath in.

Regarding heat, again, a couple of people are way off. "Heat" in a dry area is always better than in a humid area. The dryness, to state the obvious, helps you stay dry. Heat in a humid area can be miserable. In addition to being hot, it is muggy, stuffy, and wet. You sweat a lot more.

My 2 cents.
I agree with you regarding the heat and humidity. A dry heat is much more tolerable than a moist heat. However, I disagree with you regarding the cold and humidity. When it is humid in the Winter, it feels colder.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:00 PM

458 posts, read 2,774,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
As I understand it, the Dew point is actually just another way of referring to the temperature at which dew will form on the ground, plants, cars, etc. The closer that Dew point actually gets to the air temperature, the more humidity there is in the air. The combination of Dew point and humidity is the way you can determine how miserable or comfortable it will be. In the Summer, when you see a forecast for a temperature of, say 85 degrees, with a Dew point in the 60s or 70s, you can be sure there is a lot of moisture in the air - thus higher humidity, and you'll feel miserable and sticky.

Same thing in the Winter, except instead of dew forming, it's the point at which you will see frost forming, provided the air temperature is below freezing.
That makes a lot more sense.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:02 PM

458 posts, read 2,774,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Eczema is a big problem here. I work in a physician's office. We have lots of patients with this problem.
Do you know if it is because of the dryness or just from the cold? Like would say Phoenix have similar problems because it's dry but usually a dry heat rather than dry cold?

I have always had drier skin (although not eczema or anything close) in the winter time and not a problem in summer.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Do you know if it is because of the dryness or just from the cold? Like would say Phoenix have similar problems because it's dry but usually a dry heat rather than dry cold?

I have always had drier skin (although not eczema or anything close) in the winter time and not a problem in summer.
Both contribute. We see it year-round, but more so in the winter.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:57 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Where did you go to? It seems like my lips are cracking or chapped or whatever the entire winter here (Southern IN). I'm not sure whether it has anything to do with humidity but more to do with just cold in general. I base this off personal experience though, so I could be wrong. I also don't use chap stick, that stuff is nasty, so that could have something to do with it too.
I'm in north Florida now. We do get winter, but it is much milder.
I *always* used chapstick or something similar in Colorado, I had to.
The eczema and cracked hands were only in winter, it always went away in spring.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:08 AM

156 posts, read 946,752 times
I just spent 15 months in Tampa (never again) 80-ish% humidity every morning. The only good things about humidity are the effect on your sinuses, not needing chapstick or lotion or a need to iron clothes. lol

Old 09-19-2007, 08:29 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
For BSL63087

Try using some Berts Bees lip balm. It's good stuff, much better quality than ChapStik. I live in a very dry desert climate, so I use it every day year round, moreso in the winter. You should be able to find it locally at any health food. Here in the desert you can buy it just about anywhere.

blessings...Franco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver