U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-31-2012, 11:23 PM

3 posts, read 11,339 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at moving to Colorado in about a year and was curious as to what gangs operate in the Denver metro area, what signs to look for with these gangs (colors, signs, etc), and the like. This is important to me because I plan on teaching high school down there and I will need to deal with this problem. I am from a smaller city, Sioux Falls, South Dakota (population of 200,000) where gangs are rare and mostly just wanna-be's. I have done a lot of sociological research on gangs but would like as much information as possible on the area I plan to reside in.

Thanks for any help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 06:27 AM

3,993 posts, read 2,383,205 times
Default Which gangs?

...Um...ALL of them!

Old 04-01-2012, 09:23 AM

7,088 posts, read 6,134,554 times
Default +12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
...Um...ALL of them!
Normally, I hate emoticons in writing. But, in this case, you get a full dozen bonus points.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:18 AM

210 posts, read 110,354 times
Compared to the Dakotas, Denver is overun with gangs, however the D in the bigger picture is not a dangerous city. Denver is a gang city but that doesn't make it a dangerous city. Miami has very few gangs and new orleans has no gangs just clicks of neighborhood friends that commit crimes and both cities are warzones compared to tranquil denver as far as violence is concerned.

The majority of the gangs in Denver are harmless. There's over 100 gangs and less than 50 murders a year here. This is one of few places in the US where you can even be considered a gang without having a couple homocides on your belt. Most of these "gangs" really just tag there neighborhoods and sell $20 bags of weed to hippies and stoners. There are a few bad gangs but if you avoid bad areas you will be fine for the most part. Even if you were to move to a gang infested area they probably won't bother you unless you try to set up some sort of drug trafficking shop on there turf.

If your a white guy and you don't have a fade and gold grill don't even worry about gang colors period. Real gang members will assume your just niave and probably ignore you even if your wearing sworn enemy colors on there block. This is Denver, not Compton.
Denver is one of if not the safest big city in America.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:35 PM

2,921 posts, read 4,810,647 times
Wouldn't the people at the high school where you get a job be able to fill you in on what gang activity to watch for at that school and in the area? Wouldn't the police department have the kind of information that you are looking for?

I doubt that many people who participate in this kind of forum have experience with gangs, altho Razorblade seems to know more than the rest of us.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:40 PM

7,088 posts, read 6,134,554 times
Default Your best defense is

Bullet Proof Vests / Body Armor, - BulletProofBodyArmorHQ.com.

Quote:
Are you a VIP looking for some extra protection? Bullet proof Body Armor HQ has very sleek looking and concealable bullet proof vests for you. The executive bullet proof vest will fit right in your wardrobe and no one will even know you are wearing it. Its time to be safe and protected from all the crazy and unstable people in this world. Get your very own custom made body armor today.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:05 AM

3 posts, read 11,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Wouldn't the people at the high school where you get a job be able to fill you in on what gang activity to watch for at that school and in the area? Wouldn't the police department have the kind of information that you are looking for?

I doubt that many people who participate in this kind of forum have experience with gangs, altho Razorblade seems to know more than the rest of us.
I'm pretty sure it's against policy to ask the students about the gang culture in the city, and while I agree that most of the people here are probably blind to it, there could be a few people who actually know something. I haven't contacted Denver P.D. as of yet, but in my experience the Police always try to avoid questions of that sort as much as possible.

Would anybody maybe know of any gang prevention programs that are set up for the city youth that I could contact?

Old 04-02-2012, 01:04 PM

2,921 posts, read 4,810,647 times
Shucks, I was thinking that the principal, vice principal and other teachers were “people”. If there was known gang activity at a school, I would certainly think that information would be shared among the teachers and administration.

I've never had a problem contacting a police department for information. Some of the school districts have officers in the schools, so obviously they would be a good source of information. And some police departments have community police officers, whose job is to be familiar with the various criminal elements in a neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: