Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 04:27 PM

12 posts, read 17,363 times

Advertisements

I am interested in the Korean market. I'm Korean but was adopted by Caucasian parents so I lack authentic "culture" so-to-speak. ie english is my one and only, I have a splattering of spanish but that doesn't really count. I love ethnic foods, but I have no idea how to actually cook them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 04:34 PM

17,670 posts, read 29,556,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbyJoy View Post
I am interested in the Korean market.
Hmart.com: Online Shopping for Asian Grocery, Korean Kimchi, Rice Cookers, Appliances & more at everyday low prices.
Hmart.com: Online Shopping for Asian Grocery, Korean Kimchi, Rice Cookers, Appliances & more at everyday low prices. (Aurora and not Denver)
White people (oh, that would be me) on Yelp like it. http://www.yelp.com/biz/h-mart-aurora

Old 04-06-2012, 04:39 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,968,200 times
Quote:
I have pretty much decided on a move to Denver this summer, but I'm nervous and reassurance is always great!

About me:
I'm 23 and unattached
I love to snowboard, mountain bike, rock climb and hike
I have 2 horses I ride english and do a little bit of dressage and hunter/jumper I'm hoping to get into endurance riding as well
What are you planing to do with the horses when you move to Denver? Are you planing on looking for a place to keep them?

Quote:
I've lived in Arizona, so I understand the brown/waterless landscape

I hate the rain in Oregon and the grey dismal soggy weather
How do you feel about deep snow and below zero temperatures?

Quote:
I'm Korean but I come from rural southern oregon so I understand lack of ethnic diversity
Denver doesn't lack diversity. There is a fairly large Korean Community in Aurora.

Quote:
I love sports! Although I'm loyal to my Blazers , I still need an NFL team

I'm not too sure how I feel about the cold....
You should probably figure that out before you move to Denver.

Quote:
I plan to get a job serving tables, I have 4+ years experience doing this at mid-upscale restaurants. So it shouldn't be hard for me to get a job???

I have a rear wheel drive car, will I be ok during the winter?
If you don't need to drive when it snows, that might not be a problem.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:00 PM

i will board the horses at a facility the greater denver area is definitely not lacking there. And let me re-phrase, I am not thrilled about the cold but I will take it over the rain.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:27 PM

47 posts, read 94,131 times
I'm from Florida and was really nervous about the snow and the cold (I moved in November, statistically the second snowiest month in the year). Let me tell you: Colorado winters aren't that bad. Every few weeks there'll be a dump of snow, sometimes an inch or two, sometimes more than foot, but it's really dry, powdery, fun snow. The snow plows make quick work of it so getting around isn't too bad, but I take the bus all the time, anyway. And it tends to melt pretty quickly. Beyond that, the cold isn't as bad as you'd think. The lack of humidity makes for realtively mild cold compared to, say, the northeast. The sun shining most of the time certainly helps, too. I wouldn't worry about it too much; just buy a nice, lightweight down jacket, a beanie or ear muffs, and some wool gloves when you get here if you don't have one already and you'll be set.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:06 PM

156 posts, read 324,645 times
Im also going to 2nd the remark that Colorado winters arent all that bad but im from the Northeast where we blow away any Colorado winters. The RWD will be a problem though, you will get nowhere. The plows do a terrible job out here on the side roads and even the main roads just feel like someone went through it with a dull shovel.

I drive a Pontiac with FWD all weather tires and I got around fine last year.

Also with Cap Hill, I lived up there or about 8 months. Its a fun area and in a convenient location. I spent $600 a month on rent plus electric/gas (after that and my cable bill I was around $675 a month). It was a small 500sq ft studio but it worked for me when I was jumpin jobs... I got somethin more permanent now so I moved down closer to Wash Park.

It seems like you are a good fit here (prob better than me actually haha because I love the rain). You should easily be able to find a server position. Check out a restaurant called Ignite on 22 and Larimer (its right by Coors field).. I used to be a cook there and I know they are hiring servers and bartenders. Its an Italian based theme restaurant.

Good luck!

Old 04-11-2012, 12:49 PM

So I found some studios that I really like and in my price range. Poets Row on Sherman, but they are owned/managed by Triton Property Management. Has anyone rented from them, I think I saw one post about them being "evil" (denverlawgirl) They are reasonably priced most studios being under 600 with most or all utilities included, and they seem to have openings every month.

Also I Love my car, I don't want to have to get rid of it. Would studded tires be sufficient to get me through the winters? I'm already giving up my motorcycle to make the move, I don't/won't give up my car too lol. I have a bmw 3 series.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:33 PM

17,670 posts, read 29,556,070 times
Default Yes

Quote:
Would studded tires be sufficient to get me through the winters?... I have a bmw 3 series.
Yes.
Just accept that there will be a few days each year when you say: screw it, I am not driving today.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:15 PM

22 posts, read 48,128 times
unless you drive into the mountains every weekend to go skiing you don't need AWD, like everyone out here thinks you do. It snowed twice in denver last year. Hell, good snow tires will get you around without having to by an outback.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:06 AM

Only 3 weeks away! I have my move date set for the first week of July. I'm starting to get nervous/excited about the process and change. I have found a place for the horses to go, but i'm still trying to lock in an apartment/hauling company to move the horses. I've got my fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly, wish me luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver