U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-06-2012, 03:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,035 times
Smile Young Empty Nesters Denver Neighborhoods???

Hello, My name is Belle and my husband and I are relocating in the next few months to Denver. We will be purchasing a home and are trying to learn all we can about the best neighborhood for us.

We are looking for at least a 3 plus bedroom home in a nice, clean area. We both love to walk and love to meet our neighbors. We like small shops, art and music. We are easy going, friendly and are not a bunch of frumpy old people. We are only in our mid forties and our children are in college. We are in good shape and enjoy the outdoors, but don't need to be in the outdoors every single day as long as we can head out the door and go for a daily walk or bike ride.

We will be able to afford between $600 and $800k. We are not into cookie cutter neighborhoods and don't particularly care about school systems as our children are grown. We do care about safety, meaning that I want to feel comfortable heading out the door alone and walking through the park or around the neighborhood during the day. Our main thing we want is to find a nice home that is in a safe area that may have other young empty nesters. We are hoping to stay in the Denver proper area, in other words, we don't want to live down in Castle Pines or Cherry Village for that matter. WE aren't snobby at all and like the idea of living in the city or right around the city proper, not too far away from all it has to offer.

We are open to old home/neighborhoods and or newer modern ones as each has their own charm/character.

Can you recommend great neighborhoods for us and tell me why you like them?

Thank you in advance! Belle~

Can you please help me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 06:43 AM

6,681 posts, read 5,393,325 times
Default A few suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleBee View Post
at least a 3 plus bedroom home...like small shops, art and music...afford between $600 and $800K...hoping to stay in the Denver proper area
1. You have plenty of money.
2. Denver:
a. The North Side (Highland, West Highland, Berkeley)
b. Wash Park
c. Platte Park
d. Congress Park
3. Downtown (old) Littleton
4. Downtown (Old Town) Arvada
5. Belmar (if want a New Urbanism planned community) in Lakewood.
6. Stapleton (New Urbanism) in Denver. But, is mostly young families. The joke is that women get pregnant the day they move in.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:38 AM

103 posts, read 115,863 times
Hi Belle,

I think you might like the Highland neighborhoods of Denver. I like this neighborhood because it is very close to downtown and easy to get most place because of its proximity to the highway. There are lots of restaurants and things to do nearby and you can walk to a lot of them. The people make a point to get out and meet their neighbors and are invested in making it a great community. Mixture of families and empty nesters as the trend is to move back into the city. There is also a mixture of new, modern condos and lofts with the old Victorian/Denver Square architecture.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:57 AM

6,681 posts, read 5,393,325 times
Default I am biased

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitylove View Post
think you might like the Highland neighborhoods of Denver.
As someone who lives in Berkeley (3968 Vrain Street, Berkeley, Denver, CO 80212 USA), I am biased towards the North Side.

COhomefinder | 4716 W Moncrieff Pl Denver, CO 80212 - MLS #1080463 - Home for sale at COhomefinder
$600K on a very quiet street in West Highland just a few blocks from lots of stores and restaurants

COhomefinder | 4233 Stuart St Denver, CO 80212 - MLS #1073678 - Home for sale at COhomefinder
$530K in "hip" Berkeley
There are over 20 duplex units to choose from in Berkeley.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:51 AM

13,321 posts, read 29,633,471 times
It is a smaller area, but don't overlook Country Club North. (It lies within the Denver Country Club neighborhood.)
Lots of mature trees, green spaces and historic homes, yet close to downtown.
That would put you in walking distance to several parks, as well as Cherry Creek North and Cherry Creek Shopping Center (lots of neighborhood restaurants and shopping.)
We raised our kids here, but before we left Colorado in 2005, we noticed that a lot of empty nesters were leaving the 'burbs and moving into this neighborhood.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:57 AM

4,581 posts, read 3,161,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleBee View Post
We will be able to afford between $600 and $800k. We are not into cookie cutter neighborhoods and don't particularly care about school systems as our children are grown.
Washington Park.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:47 PM

48 posts, read 45,151 times
Country Club North:Gives you 10 min walk to great Cherry Creek shopping area, same time up to 6th Street shops. 10 minute bike ride on Cherry Creek Trail to downtown Denver, wonderful walking/biking trail along the creek. Great area, beautiful homes, great street, and completely safe.

Wash Park: Gives you 2 to 5 minute walk to shops/restaurants in the area. 15 minute bike ride on the CC Trail to DTD. Great area, great homes, and completely safe (youll see a bum every now and then). You're kids will love the area too, it's a little bit younger/trendier.

Really can't lose with either way, and you'll be able to find something in your range.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:18 PM
WiW

164 posts, read 298,087 times
I think all the neighborhoods mentioned above are great.

Denver is very spread out, but accessible. Outside of rush hour, traffic is very light. We currently rent in Lowry on the east side of Denver, but getting to just about any place is pretty easy by car and downtown is very doable by bicycle. Most neighborhoods have streets suitable for biking or walking and access to dedicated walk/bike trails. See www.bikedenver.org

We are in roughly the same age group as you, with no kids. We moved from NJ last year and love it here. We wanted a new home and, after looking in many of the neighborhoods listed, ended up buying in Stapleton. We move in later this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver