U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2012, 10:37 AM

10 posts, read 25,642 times

Advertisements

I'm posting this for my aunt, as I live in Fort Collins but am not familiar enough with Denver to help her. My aunt and her husband are moving to Colorado this summer for my uncle's new job. They have 2 daughters, one will be starting her junior year of high school and the other will be in 6th grade. They also have a golden retriever and a mixed breed who is 30-40 pounds. They are relocating from Nashville, TN, and feel that Denver would be best for them due to airport proximity (my uncle travels a lot for work). They are very concerned about finding good schools, public or private, for their girls, and want to live in a nice neighborhood. They currently own a 4 bedroom home, but want to rent until they get a better feel of Colorado. They are looking for at least a 3 bedroom 2 bath home, under $2000 a month. They are Christians and conservative, so I don't think they'd enjoy living in an urban, young area- they are more traditional. Based on this info, what neighborhood would be good for them? I was thinking Westminster, Arvada or Broomfield. They are open to just about anything, but do not want to live in Highlands Ranch, Commerce City, or Aurora.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 12:04 PM

704 posts, read 1,504,234 times
Why not Commerce City or Aurora? The newer parts of Commerce City or southeast Aurora would work well. Do they homeschool? Colorado is a great homeschooling state. I know that Aurora and some parts of Adams County schools are very poor, so maybe that's the dealbreaker. Parts of Aurora, however, are in the Cherry Creek district, which is one of the state's best.

Otherwise, I'd say that just about any of the suburbs would be a good fit. Pricewise I doubt that any of the northern suburbs would be cost-prohibitive if they're willing to go up to $2,000. I'd highly recommend Arvada--fairly conservative, not terribly expensive, decent (Jeffco) schools, a lotof active church-goers, etc.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:26 PM

They don't want to move to Aurora or Commerce City because of what family friends have told them about schools mainly. They don't homeschool; currently the kids attend a private Christian school but they are open to good public schools- having a good school is the main concern.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:47 PM

6,566 posts, read 10,287,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillmarie View Post
They don't want to move to Aurora or Commerce City because of what family friends have told them about schools mainly. They don't homeschool; currently the kids attend a private Christian school but they are open to good public schools- having a good school is the main concern.
Aurora Public Schools aren't that great but a fair portion of Southern Aurora is in the Cherry Creek School District.

http://www.cherrycreekschools.org/Pl...rict%20Map.pdf

Old 04-11-2012, 07:27 PM

704 posts, read 1,504,234 times
Quote:
There are some very, very good private religious schools in the Denver area. The Denver area really benefits from a very active Christian (evangelical Protestant and Catholic) community.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:43 PM

14,046 posts, read 20,382,028 times
Default Debateable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
The Denver area really benefits from a very active Christian (evangelical Protestant and Catholic) community.
It depends upon your point of view.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:25 AM

56 posts, read 128,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
It depends upon your point of view.
Exactly.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:50 AM

87,016 posts, read 102,663,662 times
^^Well, maybe we should just try to help the OP and leave our personal opinions about religion out of it.

I think the places these folks are considering are very nice (Westminster, Broomfield, Arvada). My first thought, until I read they didn't want Highlands Ranch was to recommend it, b/c I think this family would fit in well there.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:15 PM

Gone Native, could you give me some info on these schools? I'd love to share that info with my aunt...they are willing to pick a neighborhood largely based on the school they want to be near.

Everyone, is Broomfield a good fit for a family like this? Some friends here in Fort Collins have suggested it.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:35 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,663,662 times
Quote:
Gone Native, could you give me some info on these schools? I'd love to share that info with my aunt...they are willing to pick a neighborhood largely based on the school they want to be near.

Everyone, is Broomfield a good fit for a family like this? Some friends here in Fort Collins have suggested it.
Yes, Broomfield is a good fit. The public schools are excellent. There are some good Catholic schools there as well. I don't know about other Christian schools. It's a family friendly town. They should come out and take a look around. It's all "chemistry" between them and the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or