U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Status: "Ready to help you find a house!" (set 20 days ago)

1,728 posts, read 3,127,205 times
Default Transplants and quality of life

For those who have moved to Denver from other areas of the nation, why did you move there? Job relocation? Better quality of life?

What does quality of life mean to you and how does Denver compare other places? I ask because my husband could have a job offer there, and I would love to move to CO in a heartbeat.

I'm a native Texan, but have always been in love with Colorado. I would love to move my family (6 and 2yr old) there so they can experience nature better. Here it's too hot to enjoy being outside during the summer (pools are literally warm bath water temps and give no reprieve to the summer heat). I would love a slightly slower paced lifestyle. Houston is huge, the air quality is not great, you have to drive everywhere. Everyone is always go go go. It has it's good points, but I'm ready for a change.

I love trees, land, nature. I grew up on a 500 acre ranch in the Texas hillcountry. I would live to be able to have a home with some space around me and not have a neighbor 8 feet from each side of my house. To get that here in Houston (in areas that don't scream hickville), the commute to my husband's work would be at least an hour one way.

Just wondering if we could find what we are looking for in Denver? My husband is currently in the oil feigning business, but is also looking into the natural gas sector as well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 01:21 PM

6,681 posts, read 5,393,325 times
Default Here is a nice spread.

500 Acres!
Too small.
Try Kayser Ranch in Toponas, Colorado (http://www.leadbetterwebsterland.com/English/Properties/Colorado/Routt_County/Kayser_Ranch/Kayser_Ranch.html - broken link)

Old 04-15-2012, 05:37 PM

47 posts, read 47,125 times
You can find houses for sale in the nearby mountains that might provide what you're looking for, but then you're talking about incredibly long commutes in to Denver. Way longer than one hour each way, I would think. The Denver area itself is all sprawled out, already.

As to the bigger question you asked, for me, quality of life has little to do with space and everything to do with amenities being close by. I'd sooner live in a loft sharing five of the six walls (including ceiling and floor) than have a house with a yard if that meant I could walk around 90% of the time. Being dependent on a car to get around everywhere wouldn't interest me in the least. But again, that's me.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:10 PM

69,141 posts, read 58,270,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I love trees, land, nature. I grew up on a 500 acre ranch in the Texas hillcountry. I would live to be able to have a home with some space around me and not have a neighbor 8 feet from each side of my house. To get that here in Houston (in areas that don't scream hickville), the commute to my husband's work would be at least an hour one way.

Just wondering if we could find what we are looking for in Denver? My husband is currently in the oil feigning business, but is also looking into the natural gas sector as well.
Certainly not in Denver or any of the close-in suburbs. Even 8' sideyards are uncommon; it's usually more like 5'. Yesterday I was in Denver (Highlands) and saw some houses with about 2' side yards. This is also a treeless prairie by nature; virtually all the trees have been planted so the rural areas north, south and east are pretty treeless. At an hour from downtown, you might find a few properties that meet your criteria.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:15 PM

4,581 posts, read 3,161,458 times
Quote:
For those who have moved to Denver from other areas of the nation, why did you move there? Job relocation? Better quality of life?

What does quality of life mean to you and how does Denver compare other places? I ask because my husband could have a job offer there, and I would love to move to CO in a heartbeat.

I'm a native Texan, but have always been in love with Colorado. I would love to move my family (6 and 2yr old) there so they can experience nature better. Here it's too hot to enjoy being outside during the summer (pools are literally warm bath water temps and give no reprieve to the summer heat). I would love a slightly slower paced lifestyle. Houston is huge, the air quality is not great, you have to drive everywhere. Everyone is always go go go. It has it's good points, but I'm ready for a change.

I think it would be very difficult to find any of that in Denver. Have you considered Casper, WY?

Old 04-15-2012, 07:31 PM

I'm not looking for lots of land. I currently live in a master planned community and love it (for the most part). If I could live on a cul de sac street with no back yard neighbors, that would be ideal for me. I don't really care if I have neighbors on the side of me.

Super Important for us:
- good schools
- grocery store/gas/ammenities nearby
- friendly, close-nit community where neighbors know each other
- safe neighborhood
- family oriented city that is good to raise a family in

Important:
- decent commute to downtown (current commute is 45 minutes for DH)
- good views (of anything really)
- cooler weather, less humid
- somewhat slower paced lifestyle
- better air quality (it's not smog air here, it's oil refinery air....nasty)

Less Important:
- public transportation - we are used to having a car for going everywhere here. Most Houstonians have gigantic SUVs, pickups and minivans. Houston has horrendous public transportation options for commuters.

While I would love to have lots of land - that's a lot of work that I'm not up for right right in my life. Plus I would like to be in a neighborhood where we could make friends, and my children would have other children to play with since we would know no one in Colorado.

The company my husband is interested in is located in Denver - so that's why I am specifically narrowing my search here. Plus anytime I do one of those - Where's Your Best Place To Live polls/surveys, Denver is always in the top 5 choices.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:32 PM

6,058 posts, read 3,413,272 times
I moved here for quality of life. Certainly the weather would be better, as long as you don't mind some pretty cold temps in the winter for brief stretches. But the large properties you seem interested in aren't really something you'll find in Denver, though perhaps in the outlying areas (but with awfully long commuting distances/times). The air quality doesn't seem like it's all that great, given that there is a definite smog cloud. HOWEVER...

I live in an area of Denver that would be considered suburban in my home state of NJ. I recently took a bad fall and will not have the full use of my arms for about 2 months, so I can't drive. I have multiple buses that stop near my house, but that doesn't matter because I can walk to everything I need - grocery, drugstores, post office, multiple restaurants, etc. My neighborhood is quiet enough that I can work from home, and I have extensive parking and a large front and back yard, plus 3 bedrooms for reasonable rent. For what I make, I'm living pretty high on the hog compared to what I could get for this price in Jersey.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:33 PM

Default The biggest problem with transplants

are the anti-rejection drugs that you have to take for the rest of your life.

Transplant rejection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Immunosuppressive drug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-15-2012, 07:36 PM

Default Bow Mar

Quote:
I'm not looking for lots of land....good schools...friendly, close-nit community where neighbors know each other...safe neighborhood
Bow Mar

Old 04-15-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
are the anti-rejection drugs that you have to take for the rest of your life.

Transplant rejection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Immunosuppressive drug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hahaha - being a nurse, I know what anti-rejection meds are. Thanks though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver