Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 11:10 PM

76 posts, read 244,216 times

Advertisements

The premise that I build my foundation in regards to DCSD is their fiscal irresponsibility. An additional example; I was paid $800 (school year 10/11) to watch two 30 minute videos, take two 10 question quizzes, sign an affidavit stating I would not smoke and I would exercise. In addition to the $800 I was paid for my hour and fifteen minute exertion, I was also given two graduate level college units.

DCSD is fiscally irresponsible. If they were as fiscally responsible as CCSD, their curriculum, and all that surrounds the implementation of that curriculum, would be outstanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 10:50 AM

21 posts, read 50,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parker View Post
The premise that I build my foundation in regards to DCSD is their fiscal irresponsibility. An additional example; I was paid $800 (school year 10/11) to watch two 30 minute videos, take two 10 question quizzes, sign an affidavit stating I would not smoke and I would exercise. In addition to the $800 I was paid for my hour and fifteen minute exertion, I was also given two graduate level college units.

DCSD is fiscally irresponsible. If they were as fiscally responsible as CCSD, their curriculum, and all that surrounds the implementation of that curriculum, would be outstanding.
I agree. The financial situation is what is leading me to get my child into a cherry creek school.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:47 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
My kids go to a Doug Co elem school. I love the school, I love the principal, I love the teachers. I despise every member of the school board, I despise the superintendent, and I despise their agenda.

We've been here for 5 years and have become established in our community. I really want my kids to be able to finish school where they started, but I'm tempted to buy our next house in Littleton. Things would have to get significantly worse for us to move. I hope it doesn't come to that.

For anyone who lives here and doesn't like it, GET INVOLVED and help change it!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Taxpa...65645363470905

http://www.taxpayersforpubliceducation.org/

Old 04-30-2012, 03:57 PM

704 posts, read 1,791,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
My kids go to a Doug Co elem school. I love the school, I love the principal, I love the teachers. I despise every member of the school board, I despise the superintendent, and I despise their agenda.

We've been here for 5 years and have become established in our community. I really want my kids to be able to finish school where they started, but I'm tempted to buy our next house in Littleton. Things would have to get significantly worse for us to move. I hope it doesn't come to that.

For anyone who lives here and doesn't like it, GET INVOLVED and help change it!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Taxpa...65645363470905

Taxpayers for Public Education | Save Your School Funding. Join Us to Stop Vouchers.

Unless, of course, you actually like the idea of a school district putting a child's education back where it belongs: in the hands of that child's parents. The reason DougCo is doing what it's doing is that, not only is it the right thing to do, but it's also the popular thing to do. We're in Lakewood, and if we ever sent our kids to a public school, we would probably move into DougCo specifically because of the kind of child-centered, reform-oriented "agenda" of those school officials.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Unless, of course, you actually like the idea of a school district putting a child's education back where it belongs: in the hands of that child's parents. The reason DougCo is doing what it's doing is that, not only is it the right thing to do, but it's also the popular thing to do. We're in Lakewood, and if we ever sent our kids to a public school, we would probably move into DougCo specifically because of the kind of child-centered, reform-oriented "agenda" of those school officials.
I disagree, as do the courts, but I'm not going to argue with you about it here.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:47 PM

833 posts, read 1,711,895 times
Quote:

Without fanning the flames of the apparently impending war here, can someone please tell me that is about? What is Douglas County doing and how is that "putting the education back in the parent's hands" and how is that opposed to what they are doing now?

Old 04-30-2012, 06:41 PM

17,706 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default A lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
can someone please tell me that is about? What is Douglas County doing and how is that "putting the education back in the parent's hands" and how is that opposed to what they are doing now?
The DougCo electorate and their elected school board [fascists or patriots] are trying to turn the entire DougCo school system into a voucher system.
You pay your taxes and take your child's voucher to the school of your choice.
Collateral damage is the [desired] destruction of the teachers' union. But, only deluded Marxists care about the union.

This http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...DmT_story.html might help.

Last edited by davebarnes; 04-30-2012 at 07:11 PM..

Old 04-30-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
Without fanning the flames of the apparently impending war here, can someone please tell me that is about? What is Douglas County doing and how is that "putting the education back in the parent's hands" and how is that opposed to what they are doing now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
The DougCo electorate and their elected school board [fascists or patriots] are trying to turn the entire DougCo school system into a voucher system.
You pay your taxes and take your child's voucher to the school of your choice.
Collateral damage is the [desired] destruction of the teachers' union. But, only deluded Marxists care about the union.

This The Big Easy’s school revolution - The Washington Post might help.
Keeping in mind that this is not some inner-city district with low test scores, a high drop out rate, and few choices. This is a suburban district, covering the 6th wealthiest county in the country, with excellent neighborhood schools, open enrollment opportunities, and a large number of charter and magnet schools. There is a movement to privatize education, and they attempted to start it here with a pilot voucher program for 500 students. It was ruled unconstitutional and is being appealed in the courts now. Basically some people want the district to pay for their kids to go to private, mostly religious schools, and unfortunately the Board and superintendent are happy to oblige.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:15 PM

704 posts, read 1,791,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I disagree, as do the courts, but I'm not going to argue with you about it here.
Parents love it. Voters love it. And it is (arguably, I suppose) good for kids. But who cares about voters and parents and their kids, right? The thing that really matters is a single judge's quixotic reading of caselaw. It's absurd, and it would be funny were it not for the fact that those same voters, parents, and kids are being harmed because of it.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:47 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,048 times
Quote:
Parents love it. Voters love it. And it is (arguably, I suppose) good for kids. But who cares about voters and parents and their kids, right? The thing that really matters is a single judge's quixotic reading of caselaw. It's absurd, and it would be funny were it not for the fact that those same voters, parents, and kids are being harmed because of it.
As a resident of Colorado Springs (where we'd NEVER force-feed any particular political or religious agenda down people's throats) you south Denver people are SHOCKINGLY crazy and ideological!!! Sorry to interject but this topic is fascinating. Does this ultimately boil down to a basic separation of church/state thing or are there other issues at work here? Parents of a certain ideology who (i) prefer not to subject their children to wickedness such as math/science, (ii) wouldn't mind the Ten Commandments read aloud daily by all students after the Pledge, and(iii) would still prefer to have access to public money to finance their kids' education? All of the above is very, very understandable. Human Nature 101. Assuming it's not simply an attempt to turn the whole public educational process into a thinly-concealed Bible Study, what exactly is the issue?

Full disclaimer: I and my spouse are among "those" Christians who remember that the whole separation of Church and State thing was/is designed to PROTECT religious liberty from oppressive regimes. You think the pilgrims ate dirt to survive and died in droves because the view from Nantucket was pretty? The fundamental basis upon which this country first came together was the right to practice religious freely and the genius of our founders was to honor this by formally separating church and state. Very hard thing to keep apart though, like two powerful magnets inexorably pulling back together (I know about magnets because I had some decent science classes back in public high school).

I look forward (sincerely) to being educated by this thread that this fear/bias is unfounded. That the whole national/state/local voucher/charter thing is NOT about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver