U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 05:16 PM

3 posts, read 4,316 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have had Denver on my mind for quite some time now and I think I'm finally ready to make the move. I'm giving myself another year to gets my ducks in a row. I have been reading some threads on here and you folks out in Denver seem to be very helpful and friendly. I love it!

With that said I have a few questions? What are the best Apartment Complexes to move into. My budget is between 1K to $12/1300 for total cost of living per month until I begin working. I don't mind areas that are "shady" as I am coming from the South Bronx, but of course I would rather avoid the ghetto. Wait, on second thought, does Denver even have a ghetto?

So for my next question... I am a Personal Trainer and I love what I do. I have only been doing this for about a year. I started in health and fitness as a Membership Sales Consultant. And before that I was in the hospitality business, everything from food runner/expo to Server/Bartender to Bar Manager. I worked in Tampa Florida for several years and in Mid-Town Manhattan since 2005. I suppose I wear many hats but it may be a plus if I find it an obstacle to obtain full-time work as a trainer. You guys would know better. How is my job outlook?

I've heard about the weather, and the altitude, and I think I can get used to it. Florida is just way too hot for me and New York is just too freaking dirty. Don't get me wrong, I love the cultural melting pot that is NYC but I prefer peace of mind and solace to a packed 2 train and angry cabbies. TAXI!!!

Listen, I know I've been a little wordy, but any help that you can give me would be helpful. And I appreciate it.

Oh, one more thing...

How is the nightlife? I enjoy a broad range of music as long as the crowd is mature. Not like senior citizen mature, although I do love my old folks, but c'mon, I wanna dance baby . Haha, I'm a single thirty something who will be moving there without a friend in the world.

What's the scoop???

ThX Again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 07:29 PM

226 posts, read 668,084 times
I would think $1,000-$1,300 will get you a decent place in LoHi. (probably closer to $1,300). It's close enough that you can walk to the clubs downtown.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:50 PM

13,950 posts, read 20,207,715 times
Default Are you sure?

Live is way slooower in Denver than in the Bronx.

$1000-1200/month for rent is plenty for a single person. And, we won't even make make wear your bullet-proof vest.

You really ought to visit Denver and spend 1-2 weeks here.
Before you jump.

You are going to need a car.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:13 PM

425 posts, read 853,623 times
I'm in the same boat, I have wanted to do the brooklyn to Denver jump for awhile...hopefully will have things in place soon and can make the move...great city.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:55 PM

Haha, Dave, you're a funny guy. Yeah, I think I will trade in my teflon and uzi for some ski equipment. lol
Thanks for the advice. What are some of the nice bars/clubs over there? I might try to get a bartending gig on the side.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:39 PM

1,536 posts, read 5,510,955 times
I am NYC once or twice a year to visit family in the Heights and some in Chelsea. But I am a Denver native living in Capitol Hill/Governor’s Park, Ĺ mile from downtown.

What are the best Apartment Complexes to move into?
I would check out Capitol Hill and Uptown as that is where you will find the majority of apartment complexes. There are some new and nice ones in the Highlands, but the Highlands are not known for the club life, though it is close to LoDo. However, there are tons of restaurants, some of the best in the Highlands. The major streets here that have a significant number of bars, night clubs and restaurants are Broadway and Colfax. (South Broadway and east Colfax).

We don’t have ghettos here, some poor neighborhoods, but not an east coast type ghetto.

This is a great place for fitness and a focus on health, usually in the top 5 fittest cities ranked by Men’s Health. I have family here and scores of co-workers who walk to work and most don’t own a car. But we don’t have the NYC markets all over that are convenient for groceries. We have a bike share program here that many take advantage of, $60.00 a year if you use one for only and hour. I can rent one within a few blocks, ride it downtown and check it back in at another site. And then do the opposite to get home. Some folks rent cars by the hour via Occasional Car to get their larger items or groceries, or to get someone at the airport of even to venture to the hills for a day. This is similar to ZIP cars you can rent in Chicago or San Francisco. Where you rent and work will dictate the need for a car.

As for being a Personal Trainer – it can be competitive but we do have several Bally’s and 24 hour fitness branches here. The larger gyms downtown are pricy but wonderful, the Colorado Athletic Club in the Tabor Center or the Denver Athletic Club are downtown. But there are hundreds or personal gyms springing up all over the place. Latest trend is the boot camps in the evenings and weekends in the parks focusing on all the stuff you don’t do in a gym, yoga, outdoor running, stair climbing a parking garage or Red Rocks amphitheater in the foothills.

Bar tending can be done in any of the hotels, restaurants or nightclubs all over the city. The better the restaurant or establishment, the better the tips.

I love the weather, but the altitude can get to folks, but you can adjust if health conscious. There is a reason the Olympic training centers have made Colorado home. If you can work your lungs and survive here, you can do it anywhere!

Nightlife is not like NYC, not much is. Mature crowds won’t be found in a majority of the LoDo bars due to the amount and easy access. But some of the better dancing can be had in a few places. I like the salsa at La Rumba, just outside downtown.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-08-2012, 07:44 AM

Thanks A Mill!!! I appreciate your insight! I'm used to the competition, so that doesn't concern me to much. My sister is actually on her way there now. She decided to make the drive. Here's a question, will the altitude affect a dog? She has a Maltese.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:45 PM

1,536 posts, read 5,510,955 times
My pleasure! Great question for your vet! It feels like almost everyone here has a dog or cat. I am constantly asked what kind of pet I have, verses, do I have a pet. There are several transplants in my building and their animals all see fine, but something an expert should answer in advance of a move. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or