U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 10:52 AM

1,080 posts, read 2,731,839 times

Advertisements

OP,

Welcome to Denver! I think you'll like it here. It's much more down-to-earth than Miami and there's plenty to do. I've lived here 7 years and have never gotten bored.

I agree with your feelings on Miami. South Florida is a great place to vacation, but I couldn't imagine living there. I've never met such rude, inconsiderate and selfish people anywhere else I've traveled. Southern California is actually more laid back and less status driven than Miami, IMO (and that says alot)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 01:09 PM

811 posts, read 1,224,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
the only thing I would have to say is that if you're a very sociable person who's interested in culture, people, art, nightlife, etc. you will eventually get bored of Denver after a couple years. It'll take you about that long to work your way through the social scene, the nightclubs, etc. Then you will realize there's no more new stuff to do.
In a sense, this can actually be a good thing. I lived in Denver from age 26 through 30 so roughly where this OP will be. I LOVED LOVED LOVED being a young, single professional in Denver in the '90's. Where to even begin? Now, don't get me wrong here, I'm no midwesterner so my values and work-ethic are probably all jacked up, but I found that after three to four years of running around Denver and it's mountains, like the whole dang place was my own personal playground, one's perspective matures a bit, perhaps one meets a nice girl who is neither boring nor Miami-skank, perhaps the "new stuff to do" does not involve nightlife, clubs, and poetry slams. Did I mention I loved living in Denver for a few years before moving on to other stuff like ... oh ... the woman I hope will stay married to me until I'm a crochety little old non-midwestern man, with my jacked-up non-midwestern kids, pesky home-repair projects, yada yada yada.

I'm nostalgiac-jealous of the OP here - young, enthusiastic, and moving to Denver. Such a good decision! You will love it. I can tell just from your (amusingly superior) blog post you will LOVE it. I do suggest you live no more than 10-15 minute commute from the downtown core, Capitol Hill, Park Hill, Wash Park, etc. You'll find any number of restaurants that fit the bill, though I presume you already know long-term restaurant-work is no place for a decent, hard-working mid-westerner with a college degree.

Your description of Miami amused me. Never been there, but seems just about right. I'm from the Westside of LA (think, like, Malibu) and trust me it was/is NOTHING as bad as you describe, the difference being people are, generally, not obnoxious poseurs. Obnoxious actual rich, sure, but not poseurs, that I ever saw, except for a tiny fraction trying to break into the Hollywood business (most of whom are mid-western transplant wanna-be's ). Never knew a single girl there with a boob-job, much less one who dated a poser with a Ferrari. Not to say it didn't happen, it just wasn't anywhere near the norm like Will Smith Goin' to Miami.

You'll love Denver. DO IT. For God's sake though, man, don't be a server, going out to bars after your shift, at age 35 or 40. You're too good for that, in your amusingly superior mid-western sort of way. I can say that with affection, because I too was once like you (and still sort of am), utterly convinced of my own awesomeness. Drives my wife crazy. Kids seem to like it though.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:10 PM

132 posts, read 285,275 times
Your post about Miami reminded me so much of the 11 tortuous months I spent living in Los Angeles. I moved there from Portland, after being in Portland in for 3 years, and it was awful. The flashiness, the status obsession, the sketchy people, it was bad. LA itself has a really weird, menacing vibe to it.

Anyway, I'm back home in the Midwest, currently trying to figure out whether I want to live in Portland or Denver. Denver's winning today... but it seems to change from day to day. Good luck with your move!

Old 05-02-2012, 12:21 PM

26 posts, read 58,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
You'll love Denver. DO IT. For God's sake though, man, don't be a server, going out to bars after your shift, at age 35 or 40. You're too good for that, in your amusingly superior mid-western sort of way. I can say that with affection, because I too was once like you (and still sort of am), utterly convinced of my own awesomeness. Drives my wife crazy. Kids seem to like it though.
I don't think anyone is too good to work in a restaurant, myself included. You need to make money in whatever way you can. My friends clear 50K serving tables full-time in Miami. It's surely not the most satisfying career, but it definitely pays the bills.

However, I completely agree, I don't want to be a server for the rest of my life. For my full time work, I actually own a text messaging company, GymTexter. I just like serving tables because its a great way to meet people in a city, and the customers always give you good recommendations when they find out you're new to a city.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:35 PM

5,699 posts, read 9,421,143 times
My wife was doing payroll last year for a popular restaurant here in San Jose and says the waiters were each earning about $6k a month.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:04 PM

811 posts, read 1,224,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
My wife was doing payroll last year for a popular restaurant here in San Jose and says the waiters were each earning about $6k a month.
Not surprising, given the median Silicon Valley disposable income. My comment did not refer to the money itself, but rather to the lifestyle I observed my own friends who were servers tended to adopts during their time as servers. Leave shift with fistfull of cash. Take said cash out to bars with the other servers and leave large amounts of said cash in bars. Easy come, easy go. Fine when you're young, not so cool after age 30 or so. Simply intended as a gentle reminder/advice, not as a moral judgment. Good luck and HAVE FUN!

Old 05-03-2012, 09:03 AM

26 posts, read 58,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
Leave shift with fistfull of cash. Take said cash out to bars with the other servers and leave large amounts of said cash in bars. Easy come, easy go. Fine when you're young, not so cool after age 30 or so. Simply intended as a gentle reminder/advice, not as a moral judgment. Good luck and HAVE FUN!
Totally agree! I saw this on a nightly basis in Miami and in Minneapolis too. It always blew my mind when, come the end of the month, all the servers were trying to pick up extra shifts because "rent is coming up." We're making $1000/week, yet you can't come up with the $800 needed to pay your rent?!?

I also agree about the 30+ line. It's a fun job when you and your friends are young and want to have a good time, but when all your friends start having careers and you're still giving every weekend to the service industry, it's time for a change.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:54 AM

14 posts, read 18,899 times
"However, winters are cold and flat, and I've never lived in the mountains before."

Denver doesn't have any mountains and is just as flat as Minneapolis is.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:26 AM

13,949 posts, read 20,201,871 times
Default Cannnot be true

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorard View Post
Denver doesn't have any mountains and is just as flat as Minneapolis is.
That can't be true.
Denver is in the mountains. I see this every time the Donkeys are on TV. Mile High Stadium sits right up next to the mountains.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:50 AM

36 posts, read 86,615 times
Great post. I lived in Denver way back, ended up in Texas because of the family "anchor", currently in Miami because of the career "anchor", and finally have an opportunity to return to Denver. Any place has pros and cons. Quite frankly, in Miami as in most places you have to rise above what you don't like and look at the positives. I have met many nice Latin folks here who are nice to me, and believe me, I look like a German tourist and speak no Spanish. Nowhere in this nation can you scuba dive every weekend. The Everglades for nature lovers are simply amazing...you can literally bike among alligators. You can pop over to the Bahamas for the weekend.

I do think it's tough to live here because of the people. Very much a 3rd world mentality in that those right off the boat think being American is something from the reality shows they watched in Haiti. So flash, bling, boob-jobs, the gold rack is valued over humility, professionalism, politeness, culture...more advanced concepts.

Having traveled the nation, I have always wanted to return to Denver. Good, nice people can be a challenge to find anywhere but in my experience one does not have to dig as deep to find these people in the Midwest and West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or