U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-04-2012, 01:25 PM

7 posts, read 7,731 times
Default Farmington Valley in CT to Parker CO

Hello everyone -

Potentially looking at a move from the Farmington Valley in CT to Parker CO (not necessarily there but around there).

First, I'll push my luck, anyone out there having done a similar move? Curious to get your perspective.

A few questions:

Thoughts comments on schools compared to CT? DCSD looks pretty good. I read all about it, must be the same as our schools because you hear the same wonderful things and the same complaints. Are these mega schools? In CT, schools are by town so never too big - and we like that.

Houses - looking at homes online. Many of the pictures show brown grass. Is this dead grass from the winter? Dead grass from the summer? Is the grass ever green? I know we are leaving the trees behind but would at least like a little bit of green .

How far are we from outdoor activities?

Winter - skiing? Doesn't need to be a major destination. We live in the northeast, we spend more time on the lift than on the slopes (except for VT, don't want to upset my VT friends)

Spring-Fall - Canoeing , kayaking, fishing, fly-fishing?

Thank you for your comments
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 02:48 PM

198 posts, read 204,208 times
We are moving from Fairfield CT to Broomfield CO at the end of the month.

Any reason why you picked Parker? It seems a little far away from the Denver Metro area to me, but it seems like a nice place.

I heard the schools are great, we dont have kids yet so its not a huge concern yet.

We first visited in January and everything was brown. However when we went back a few weeks ago everything was green and beautiful. Do not know how long it lasts but it was good enough!!!

There are activities everywhere you go in Colorado. I am not so sure about the Parker area, but I am sure there is plenty to do.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:01 PM

My opportunity is not in Denver so no need to be that close.

How are you finding the culture change? I'm not originally from Connecticut either but curious to see what you think.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:29 PM

198 posts, read 204,208 times
I am not there yet but from what I have seen people seemed pretty laid back and happy. Everyone send to be doing some sort of exercise all the time and people seem very friendly overall. Every city no matter where you are is going to have miserable people. In the town in CT im in now most people are very friendly. However people from the town over are super stuck up. I'm sure there are a variety of people in CO but lets hope they are friendly overall. We are taking a big leap of faith that CO is the place and it seems that way. Let's just hope it is the place to be long term.Cause I am done with the northeast.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:45 AM

69,179 posts, read 58,353,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewestResidentOfCT View Post
Hello everyone -

Potentially looking at a move from the Farmington Valley in CT to Parker CO (not necessarily there but around there).

First, I'll push my luck, anyone out there having done a similar move? Curious to get your perspective.

A few questions:

Thoughts comments on schools compared to CT? DCSD looks pretty good. I read all about it, must be the same as our schools because you hear the same wonderful things and the same complaints. Are these mega schools? In CT, schools are by town so never too big - and we like that.

School districts here in CO are huge. Jefferson County is the largest with 84,000 students. Here is a little synopsis of each of the metro districts.

Denver Metropolitan School District Map

There are also Boulder Valley and St. Vrain Valley in Boulder County, each with student counts in the high 20,000, with BVSD a little larger. You will hear good/bad things about each district. Individual schools can range from small to huge.

Houses - looking at homes online. Many of the pictures show brown grass. Is this dead grass from the winter? Dead grass from the summer? Is the grass ever green? I know we are leaving the trees behind but would at least like a little bit of green .

The grass is green in spring, continuing into summer if you water it a lot. The countryside turns brown in the early summer.

How far are we from outdoor activities?

Winter - skiing? Doesn't need to be a major destination. We live in the northeast, we spend more time on the lift than on the slopes (except for VT, don't want to upset my VT friends)

Spring-Fall - Canoeing , kayaking, fishing, fly-fishing?

Actually, most of the ski areas around here are major destinations. There are few "mom and pop" type ski areas here. I don't know how far Parker is from say, Breckenridge, Vail, Winter Park, etc. You could google it.

Thank you for your comments

Old 05-07-2012, 12:33 PM

Katiana - thank you for your post.

Getting a liitle ahead of myself since this is not a done deal by any means but....

Does school really start in mid-August? I looked for '12-'13 calendar and it shows 08/13. I think I am reading it right.

My kids are going to kill me. School gets out mid-June over here. On the other hand, the my wife and I will be pretty happy.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:11 PM

247 posts, read 329,082 times
Quote:

Getting a liitle ahead of myself since this is not a done deal by any means but....

Does school really start in mid-August? I looked for '12-'13 calendar and it shows 08/13. I think I am reading it right.

My kids are going to kill me. School gets out mid-June over here. On the other hand, the my wife and I will be pretty happy.
Yes - Schools start earlier here. My kids will be out of school by first week of June in WI and will start here in mid-August - So, yes - It is going to be a "short" summer. It's just two to three weeks less, but every day counts when it is summer vacation

Old 05-07-2012, 06:52 PM

69,179 posts, read 58,353,146 times
Quote:

You're welcome.

Yes, schools start early here, any time from early to late August. Virtually all districts are in session before Labor Day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver