Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2012, 01:42 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,150 times

Advertisements

It's hard to get a sense from your original post how long you've been away from home. Not sure if 5 years or 1. But my point is, you sound incredibly homesick. Don't take it out on Denver. Go home for a while, hang out in Boston for a month. Then take a deep breath and head back to Denver. Give it a chance. It can be really difficult to pinpoint what problems in your life are caused by your location and what are because of other issues.

This is coming from someone who had a successful life in Colorado and chose to move back east. I have fond memories of Colorado and I'd hate to see you miss out on enjoying a place while you live there.

Good luck with the decision!

Old 05-17-2012, 01:50 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I too prefer a little more humidity than what the southwest offers, but not as humid as D.C. Even Austin is a bit too much for my taste. Silicon Valley seems about right.
I agree that Silicon Valley was about right humidity wise for the most part. What I liked was the rainy season was in the winter, when you need the moisture because of heating elements in homes. The summer was dry but the wind was always coming off the Pacific, so it was still a little moistened. Dew could form most mornings, that's a measure of whether I can live somewhere, can dew form or not!

Old 05-17-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster21 View Post
I've grown to be ok with the bone chilling winters of the east. In MA, bone chilling is usually described as 10F, or -10F, the latter of which rarely happens. Even 10F is sort of unusual, at least on the coast. Usually when it's 20F people complain, as that's somewhat rare too, but generally 20-30F is average, which after being in Maine, feels warm!

In mid or upstate Maine, 10-20F is average, and bone chilling is usually -20F or -40F, which doesn't happen too often. I guess being in Maine put things in perspective for me. So the cold isn't an issue too much. And I like snow, having been in MA where it doesn't come too often, so when it does it's nice. But that's just me. MA seems to have a nice balance of weather, extreme or not.

Less bugs is good of course but not too big an issue to me.

I was thinking of the humidity in the summer thing though - driving around sweltering Denver, and walking around the other day - because a lot of people say what you say as far as the humidity. Maybe I'm just used to it but it feels like MA rarely oppressively humid. And when it does it doesn't bother me. And if it is you go to the beach where it feels great. And, although CO may have less humidity, making it relatively cooler, the intense sunlight offsets any real benefit to me of the low humidity. Although it may be less humid, the sun is so hot and intense due to climate and elevation that it kind of negates what good the low humidity has to offer. That's how I see it at least..
Try sitting in the shade. In dry heat the shade is very nice.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:21 PM

431 posts, read 982,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Try sitting in the shade. In dry heat the shade is very nice.
But there aren't lots of large, shady trees in the metro.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superorb View Post
But there aren't lots of large, shady trees in the metro.
Try the shade of some rock formations. In CO Springs it was a little warm and I would just relax in the shade of the Garden of the Gods rocks. It was very cool in the shade even if warm in the sun...

Old 05-17-2012, 02:43 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I agree that Silicon Valley was about right humidity wise for the most part. What I liked was the rainy season was in the winter, when you need the moisture because of heating elements in homes. The summer was dry but the wind was always coming off the Pacific, so it was still a little moistened.
I agree. In fact if summers were a tad more humid it would be perfect.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:44 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
1) Constant honking for no reason
2) Angry looks for the slightest problem
3) more than a cars distance between your car and the one in front of you, you'll be cut off.

Just some of my observations on the road here in Philly.
LOL!!! I knew it! As soon as I read your post, I thought,"I bet he's talking about honking." And I had thought that because about a week ago, a light had changed to green, and the car in front of me didn't move, and I thought,"A year ago, I'd be laying on my horn."

The honking and angry looks I miss. But the cutting people off, I feel like that happens here all the time when there's not even a reason for it. But in the East that typically happens only during rush hour. Not for you?

How do you like the big distances between cars stopped at lights? (Seriously, I'd like to know your perspective.)

Last edited by The Homogenizer; 05-17-2012 at 03:08 PM..

Old 05-17-2012, 02:56 PM

22,844 posts, read 6,435,820 times
The OP gave a great, long post. People defend or complain about every state. He would have
encountered many more who agreed with him if he had posted it in the Boston thread instead
of complaining to those in Colorado about Colorado...funny

Old 05-18-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
I spent one night in Miami several years ago and the very first thing I did was to crank the AC to try and dry out the air a little. I think it had to get down to about 65 in my room before I felt comfortable with respect to the humidity. Of course, by then I needed an extra blanket on the bed...
I spent one night in Denver several years ago and the first thing I did was run the shower on full blast hot with the exhaust fan off (so no humidity leaving the room) with the shower curtain open and the bathroom door open for about 30 minutes just to humidify the room. I reckon the temp was probably about 80 by the time I was comfortable with the humidity level. Of course, by then I had to sleep without blankets on the bed.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:29 PM

61 posts, read 201,850 times
Hahahahaha..see now, in MA, you usually don't have to do either of those extremes... =P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver