Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2021, 02:25 PM

5 posts, read 6,782 times

Advertisements

Happy Tuesday everyone!

My boyfriend and I (same sex couple) are planning to finally escape downtown Seattle and try out Denver for a year and see if that fits. Before people jump on me and say that Denver isn't some perfect little world etc- yes I know, and have moved before. Please be kind to us newbies, I know how it feels seeing people flock to your city, we are dealing with an onslaught of Californians moving to the PNW

We are flying down again in two weeks to tour some apartments and really have connected to the Lodo area. The architecture and vibe of your downtown area as a whole is beautiful in our opinion!

Every time we have gone and explored downtown we have walked- Lodo, Larimer, Capitol Hill, Cherry Creek Trail (if that's correct? The one that runs along Lodo and the Highlands?) and had an incredible time. We stay at the Hyatt Regency and walk from there. We've felt very safe and never in a bad situation. Tried this out a few times late at night as well. Recently I've come across multiple articles labeling Lodo as very dangerous and to be avoided. Same goes for the area around Coors stadium. I was really confused by this as that is the farthest thing from what we have experienced. My question is- is this assessment slightly exaggerated? We live in Downtown Seattle (true downtown) and see it all. Drug addicts, assault, theft, you name it. Also have lived in Seattle's Capitol Hill neighborhood (bar scene, constant late night drunken idiots) etc. Yes things happen in a city, but as long as you keep to yourself and don't go into obviously bad areas, things are generally fine. Can anyone shed some light on this assessment? Should I really be concerned about being shot while taking my dog on a pee break at 11pm on a Friday night? lol Sometimes I feel like these crime articles online are fear mongering.

Anyways- thanks for all input and any suggestions! We really want to be in an area that is socially safe for us being gay, but want to be near bars, restaurants and the awesome architecture of the area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 03:36 PM

17,669 posts, read 29,540,339 times
Denver is safe.
Consider Lower Highlands in addition to LoDo.

Old 01-05-2021, 04:17 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,958,566 times
The safety "issue" with LoDo and the area around Coors Stadium is generally because of the "late night drunken idiots" crowd. Bars close and suddenly a bunch of drunk people are released onto the streets, and when a lot of them are guys all hopped up on alcohol and testosterone, well we know how that goes. Aside from that, the area should be fine.

Old 01-07-2021, 12:47 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,351,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaharbor93 View Post
Happy Tuesday everyone!

My boyfriend and I (same sex couple) are planning to finally escape downtown Seattle and try out Denver for a year and see if that fits. Before people jump on me and say that Denver isn't some perfect little world etc- yes I know, and have moved before. Please be kind to us newbies, I know how it feels seeing people flock to your city, we are dealing with an onslaught of Californians moving to the PNW

We are flying down again in two weeks to tour some apartments and really have connected to the Lodo area. The architecture and vibe of your downtown area as a whole is beautiful in our opinion!

Every time we have gone and explored downtown we have walked- Lodo, Larimer, Capitol Hill, Cherry Creek Trail (if that's correct? The one that runs along Lodo and the Highlands?) and had an incredible time. We stay at the Hyatt Regency and walk from there. We've felt very safe and never in a bad situation. Tried this out a few times late at night as well. Recently I've come across multiple articles labeling Lodo as very dangerous and to be avoided. Same goes for the area around Coors stadium. I was really confused by this as that is the farthest thing from what we have experienced. My question is- is this assessment slightly exaggerated? We live in Downtown Seattle (true downtown) and see it all. Drug addicts, assault, theft, you name it. Also have lived in Seattle's Capitol Hill neighborhood (bar scene, constant late night drunken idiots) etc. Yes things happen in a city, but as long as you keep to yourself and don't go into obviously bad areas, things are generally fine. Can anyone shed some light on this assessment? Should I really be concerned about being shot while taking my dog on a pee break at 11pm on a Friday night? lol Sometimes I feel like these crime articles online are fear mongering.

Anyways- thanks for all input and any suggestions! We really want to be in an area that is socially safe for us being gay, but want to be near bars, restaurants and the awesome architecture of the area.

Thanks!
I've lived in both Seattle and Denver. Both feel safe and are great cities. I prefer Seattle's downtown by far though, just me.

Old 06-06-2021, 11:58 PM

27 posts, read 21,463 times
My former roommate saved up and purchased a nice condo in LoDo a few years ago. He now spends weekends on a ranch in Arizona because he took his conceal carry and bought a gun after several shootings, and still doesn't feel safe in LoDo (for the record, he is 6ft 2" and black). I don't even like to drive through it because of all the drunk fools, and the shootings just cement that. For the record, I live in Globeville. That should speak volumes. I am a small, blonde female, so I always feel like a target.

Old 06-07-2021, 06:01 PM

6,357 posts, read 11,798,284 times
Weird how despite the negativity, I have never had a friend or colleague say they didn't want to meet me in LoDo because of the crime. Or how all those apartments around there feel pretty close to full now with increasing rents despite the presence of so much danger.

Old 06-07-2021, 08:43 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,351,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaharbor93 View Post
Happy Tuesday everyone!

Thanks!
I've lived in both Seattle and Denver. Found Denver to have a much more rowdier party crowd. The homeless in Denver are out in the open and clustered mainly in one particular area. I think both cities are safe but would give the edge to Seattle. Seattle is more mature and residential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver