Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 02:29 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,908 times

Advertisements

I think everyone is different as far as what affects them and what doesn't when moving here.

Both times I moved to CO I came from CA.

Altitude did not bother me.

My sinuses did bother me and I had horribly chapped lips -- both attributed to the dryness. Took 3 weeks to get back to 'normal' but both times I moved to CO it was either spring or summer. Landing in CO in the middle of winter -- for me -- would have really sucked transition-wise because of the extreme dryness during wintertime and it's affect on sensitive skin like mine. Add in a little CO wind and that's no fun at all for already sensitive skin.

When others have visited us in CO, some are bothered by the altitude and exercise. Others say they need to drink twice as much water.

Seems like everyone is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 03:15 PM

245 posts, read 708,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Others say they need to drink twice as much water.

Seems like everyone is different.
Correct - Make sure to drink plenty of water. I noticed I was more thirsty and drinking more water - which is good !!

Old 05-08-2012, 04:12 PM

284 posts, read 516,436 times
I was born and raised in NY and lived in Florida for 3 years. The altitude is not dramatic in Denver. The only time I felt it was after running, but I am also 30lbs overweight and a former smoker. The only time I really felt it was above 10000 feet. Bring Chapstick

Old 05-08-2012, 05:16 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,296,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think it's about 3 weeks to develop more red blood cells, again w/o looking it up. Altitude sickness doesn't usually kick in until around 8000 ft, IIRC.
Pretty close! Here's the scoop:

When you are at altitude, you breath faster, blowing off more carbon dioxide. This causes your blood pH to rise. The kidneys compensate for that and it takes about a week to fully correct the pH imbalance.

In additional, your body produces more red blood cells, so your blood can carry more oxygen. This takes about a month to reach equilibrium.

If you leave Denver and go up into the mountains, this process starts all over again.

As already stated, altitude sickness is rare in Denver, but not uncommon in the mountains. Don't forget an airplane is pressurized to the equivalent of 9000-10000 feet. This will change with the newer, carbon fiber planes.

Although being in shape and a non-smoker will cause less shortness of breath when arrive, altitude sickness is an idiosycratic reaction and can hit those in the best of shape, too.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:21 PM

46 posts, read 86,886 times
Default just make sure you drink..... a LOT

We have completed 9 month here after living at sea level. You may get VERY winded on those stairs and walking up hills. My husband felt it when he was biking in Boulder. Both of my kids had REALLY REALLY dry cracked lips (so invest in a good lip salve). My son even had cracked and bleeding lips; something he never had prior to our move. I felt like I was thirsty constantly.
9 months in, we are winded much less. We still drink a lot but no where near how it used to be. It IS dry here and we go through lotion like crazy. Your body does adapt, so just be mindful of how your body responds and don't overdo it.
Have fun discovering Denver!
Bisou

Old 05-09-2012, 10:15 AM

18 posts, read 26,803 times
I have been here almost a week now. I haven't noticed the altitude at all but I have been thirstier than usual.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:19 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBowser View Post
I understand the air is a lot thinner in Denver but what can I really expect? I've lived my entire life in either Vermont (where it feels like a basement since its all granite) or Florida where it's muggy as hell.

Is it drastic? Easy to adjust to?
For most people it is easy to adjust to and the adjustment happens in a few days.

A small percentage of people find they may experience longer term effects like headaches, nosebleeds, etc.

A separate small percentage of people with previously unknown conditions such as heart problems or genetic predisposition to altitude sickness find that the altitude magnifies and excacerbates the condition to the point where it could be dangerous.

Based on statistics and no other conditions that you're aware of, you'll probably fall into the first category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightbird View Post
I have been here almost a week now. I haven't noticed the altitude at all but I have been thirstier than usual.
Could be the dry air, not necessarily the altitude.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:45 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,821,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBowser View Post
I understand the air is a lot thinner in Denver but what can I really expect? I've lived my entire life in either Vermont (where it feels like a basement since its all granite) or Florida where it's muggy as hell.

Is it drastic? Easy to adjust to?
I've always engaged in athletic activities, and my performance has never reached what it was at lower altitudes. But when I return home, I can run forever without getting winded.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:51 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I know I got much drunker much quicker for the first few weeks I was here
This. Now when I vacation at sea level it is hard to get drunk.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:11 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
Nothing major. I got pretty winded running up and down stairs unpacking when I first got here, but I don't notice anything at all now. Drink a lot of water and go easy when drinking. I get drunk way faster out here with way worse hangovers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver